Pedalling Form

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Hi, I've been riding mountain bikes for a massive 4 months now. When I ride I have the pedal in the middle of my foot, in the arch. Is this poor form, should I be retraining myself to use the front of my foot. I am riding a Giant Talon 29er 0 with the standard pedals that came with it. I have taken the soft plastic foot guides off.
Thanks
David

my02

Likes Dirt
First advice would be to Google Steve Hogg. He knows a couple of things.

FWIW I position the spindle of the pedal just behind the ball of my foot and find this best (having faffed around with positioning for a while myself).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You should have the ball of your foot basically over the centre of the pedal. As the previous post suggests, a bit of personal variation may be an option, but ball-over-spindle should be your first step.

driftking

Wheel size expert
+1 to the ball.
You get more power down with the ball of the foot and it also gives you more freedom in the foot to move the heel up and down. You tend to pressure the ball more too so it increases your grip on the pedal.

Last edited:

Vedsy

Likes Dirt
Agreed. Ball of the foot as a starting point then play around with it a bit to find what suits you. My feet get sore with the axle directly under the ball so I have my feet ever so slightly forward now, much more comfortable for me.

On a somewhat related topic, I've recently started riding my hardtail a lot more, and have noticed I tend to bounce in my seat ever so slighly when pedalling. Probably been doing it forever but never noticed on my FS bikes. Is there one particular cockpit setup item, or incorrect pedalling form type that typically causes that?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You'll always get people's opinions but ultimately, it is your personal preference.
I ride with clips and run them as far back as I can which ends up just on the back side of the ball of my foot. I ride all disciplines and the position is the same for each bike. I do this because it is the first place my first lands when I clip back in and it feels the most secure. As for pedaling efficiency, it provides the most solid platform I reckon.
Running your pedals towards the front of your foot will give you knee trouble when you hit veteran status. I used to run my pedals really far forward and it started to hurt. Now I run them further back and the stress on my knees is less.
Using flats (shoes and flat pedals without clips on them) will give you plenty of chances to shift your foot during climbs or descents to test what works best for you.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm going to say aim for the ball of your foot being towards the centre of the pedal.
I'm flat footed so I have a massive choice in foot placement ;)

Not Really...

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I run clipless on all bikes and have the cleats as close to the centre as possible, which is about an inch behind the ball. I reckon the mechanics puts less effort on the calf. People talk about the ball position having more leverage and riding with a "wiping feet" technique to get more stroke but if that's the case, your cranks are too long, your legs should be able to do it all. You run at a sprint from the ball but that's to add some extra spring in the step. Riding is totally different IMO. Each to their own but its working for me. There would probably be a few other benefits from the position with flats like bigger target and pedal not slicing up your shin. Good luck.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I like James stuff but can't say I agree whole hearted with that article.
The first two points are important but his placing too much emphasis on it, albeit it's important but technique is what makes grip. Ok running slippery boots won't be ideal but "flat specific shoes" are not needed plenty of guys not using 510.
I think James recently picked up 510 for a sponsor too so take that as you will.

The ideal of middle foot intrigues me but it goes against what I have felt on the bike, also can all the companies and professional riders get it wrong, I'm sure they have tried various foot placement.
Deadlifts and I believe squats are a heel driven movement, can't say riding on the heels is ideal, they are also a straight up and down movement,riding shouldn't be a stomping up and down on the pedals. You need to move your legs in a circle with the pedal not smash them so I'd have to disagree that deads and squats are the same movement.
Having a mid to back foot position also limits you ability to rotate the pedals back, this is more a issue of dh or mtb where steep declines are involved.

James is great and does lots of good stuff but this is one article I can't 100% agree with, albeit his a professional so I'm sure most will disregard this opinion but I figured I'd weigh in anyway :)

Last edited:

Old C

Likes Bikes
There was an article in AMB or was MBA?? Either way it was suggesting that you should position the pedal dependent on the riding that you do, much like the difference between walking and running. If you are an aggressive rider, always out of the saddle, then you should run the pedal under the ball of the foot as per a sprinter. If you are a more cruisy trail riding doing longer distance, then the pedal should be moved rearward towards the middle of your foot. Sorry I can't be arsed looking for the article, but it was only about six months ago.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
I started off with the ball of my foot in the center and hated it. Moved towards the rear of the ball and loved it, felt much more natural for me. I think there is too much fluff and bullshit with stuff like this, do whatever you're comfortable with and git out there and enjoy yourself!