Panel Beating Rims- i.e getting the vice grips out.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Hey guys, relatively short question here.
Panel Beating rims- can it be done? Some say it can, others say it can't. Basically my 729 rear got some nice sized dings after running about 0psi for my race run at coffs, if you were there you will understand why:p They arent huge, but big enough for the tire not to seal on the rim, I seem to be getting more and I think im due for a new rim, but I wanted to find out if I could straighten the dings out before I forked out for a newy. If it can be done, how would I go about it. Get the ol' vice grips out and bend them out or would you guys reccomend something different?

Also while Im at it, I took the bead off a weld on my swingarm, I think I scraped it on a rock or rut as the paint is rubbed off further below and a bit above the weld. I dont think this will be a problem as there are no cracks and the strength is in the penetration of the weld, yeah? If required I can post pics, but I guess you will get the idea.

Cheers guys in advance, Sam.

Dont use vise grips without some sort of cover over them so they dont create bur's on your rim...

I recommend the good ol' shifting spanner.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Dont use vise grips without some sort of cover over them so they dont create bur's on your rim...

I recommend the good ol' shifting spanner.
The shifting spanner is a good option, but can it be done without weakening the rims to an extent that they will crack next time they are hit in that spot?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If they are stuffed there is no point be careful about fixing them. Use vice grips with masking tape on the jaws (stops lovely scratches incase you manage to resurrect it) and use that to get the inside back into shape. For the outside use either a Vice (the ones you mount on a bench, ie not the plier type) or a hammer depending on the severity.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The shifting spanner is a good option, but can it be done without weakening the rims to an extent that they will crack next time they are hit in that spot?
any decent size dent normally from my experience will crack when you bend it out, so upto you weather you can deal with a seeing a crack in your rim

ps. i agree with above a shifting spanner is the best option also

Last edited:

saundo

Likes Dirt
Shifting spanner by far works the best out of any thing i have done it with. If the crack is long enought bend it back in a few different spots i.e once in the middle and once on either end of the dint, this should help with cracking. But if you are only bending it back so you can bead the tyre untill you get a new rim them there is no real reason to be worried about cracking, i won't be on the bike for long

Sam.

Eats Squid
Greatly appreciated guys- I get the feeling that bending the rim out is a short time and im only putting off the inevitable. Just out of curiosity, how long will a cracked rim last?

Also while Im at it, I took the bead off a weld on my swingarm, I think I scraped it on a rock or rut as the paint is rubbed off further below and a bit above the weld. I dont think this will be a problem as there are no cracks and the strength is in the penetration of the weld, yeah? If required I can post pics, but I guess you will get the idea.
Anyone have any idea about the bead taken off issue?

Last edited:
Al doesn't like to be bent. It fractures easily. If your rim has lots of deformations then the best option is to replace it. If you know how to build wheels, then the cost just got alot cheaper.

The way I remove dings is to:

1. place the wheel against the edge of a table (the edge must fit inside the rim)

2. place a block of hardwood over the ding

3. attack it with a mini sledge hammer.

Doing it that way limits the back and forth motion of using shifters which severely weakens aluminium.

It works on really bad dings since you cover a large surface area and also limits the possibly that you bend on section too far in the opposite direction. I do fine tune the repair with a rubber mallet and/or shifter if need be.

The best advice has already been given. Replace it!

Sam.

Eats Squid
I thought the replacement option was inevitable, I just wanted to get some more life out of my rim before I did. Thanks for all your help guys.