Painting chrome

Streetr

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, i was thinking of repainting my chrome bars. Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and how they did it. Do i have to use anything special to get the gloss off the bars other than sandpaper?

Cheers, Streetr

ripley

Squid
This is how i did it a year ago and its still holding.
Sand the bars alot I mean alot, as much as you can.
Spray bars really lightly, you don't have to cover the whole side in one go.
Let dry and repeat 7-as many as you can times.
Wait over night then you're ready to roll, remember the longer you let 'em dry the better it will turn out.
Hope that helps and good luck.:cool:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Yer rough em up as much as you can, but evenly! When priming and painting, the most important thing to do is not to overpaint them! Take your time, just do very thin coats and allow to dry properly, because otherwise it can drip.

maxsull

Likes Dirt
yea crome needs need sto be scratched heaps coz its sucha smooth surface... i did mine buy sanding a lill bit of paint stripper and coarse as commercial steel wool and then etch prime and paint on as many thin coats of paint as possible oh ad\nd matte paints give better finish glos is longer lastin so use matt and then a good quality clear coat*not australian export shit*

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
i do believe you can get matte clear from 'street art' shops, but i have never seen it at bunnings or anything. check your local craft shop.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Pretty much all aerosol manufacturers have a 'clear' option, but it depends on whether or not the shop will stock it (as its probably not very popular) The Aussie export one goes alright if you put a new nozzle on it, but yes it does add a glossy sort of an effect.

maxsull

Likes Dirt
Originally Posted by maxsull
oh ad\nd matte paints give better finish glos is longer lastin so use matt and then a good quality clear coat*not australian export shit*

if i do that will it give a glossy finisj or will it still look matte

it will make it look glossy correct or u can get a matte clear if u rly want.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Stay away from Ironlak primer!!! Used it today, worst shit ever! Way too thick to be put in an aerosol can, clogged up the nozzle instantly and started spitting everywhere, I changed to a skinny cap and then it starts losing pressure, and changing colour at times (notorious Ironlak problem). Now the texture of the frame I primed is like sandpaper.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey i am about to do this on my frame, how much do you need to sand off?
Am i able to get the primer from bunnings or the local hardware store?

andytaylor

Likes Dirt
yeh u can
but stay away from it
if you want good paint
like molotow
youll probably have to go to lopez in the city

ask cook or mckenna to get it for you

MrPlow

TMBC
yea crome needs need sto be scratched heaps coz its sucha smooth surface... i did mine buy sanding a lill bit of paint stripper and coarse as commercial steel wool and then etch prime and paint on as many thin coats of paint as possible oh ad\nd matte paints give better finish glos is longer lastin so use matt and then a good quality clear coat*not australian export shit*
Who told you that shit?! (about the matt paint)
you really should remove the chrome completely, i would give it a rough up and try spraying a small section with mums oven cleaner. leave it for 15minutes plus.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh u can
but stay away from it
if you want good paint
like molotow
youll probably have to go to lopez in the city

ask cook or mckenna to get it for you
Yer Will do, Don't really need it to be top quality though
Does anyone know a good brand of etch primer?