Painting Bikes

bunya_DH

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
i dont no where i should put this thread but anyways.
i was wondering how much roughly to get a frame to be painted. im thinking of painting my bike white. does anyone here do it?

cheers

jonot

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
i dont no where i should put this thread but anyways.
i was wondering how much roughly to get a frame to be painted. im thinking of painting my bike white. does anyone here do it?

cheers
Do you mean painting it yourself? if so,
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=62163

Or do you mean sending it away to get painted by a professional? if so,
http://www.gripsport.com.au/

Taken straight from Grip's site;
gripsport.com.au said:
We also have one low flat-rate fee to get your frame to us and back to your door from anywhere in the country... we can 'bead' blast, prepare & powder coat your frame starting at a ridiculously low $105... and we can even quote most repairs over the phone.
I couldn't tell :confused:

Last edited:

SLICK_ZERO

Likes Bikes
haha

hey bunya dh get ur bike stripped down then go to ur local smash repairs and pic a colour shouldnt be any more then $100-$150 and will be a awsome job good luck :D

Hamo

Likes Dirt
well Id say support a farkiner! go grip, Ive heard nothing but good about his work!

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do the job yourself.

i just did 2 frames, one in matt black and the other in Pearl white.
it's close to awesome.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about getting graphics put on ur bike?? i want to get myn painted again but with new graphis

demo man edit: myn? that shits me to tears! Spell properly mate, it's only one extra finger movement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get stencils made at a signwritting shop and paint over.

just remember preparation is 99% of the job...the frame gotta be clean of everything and smooth

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do it yourself, its more rewarding. On the note of stencils/graphics... you could always teach yourself how to pinstripe....

Bud Weiser

Likes Dirt
get stencils made at a signwritting shop and paint over.
yeh if you want to spend huge amounts of cash. just cut them yourself then you can modify and change as you go.
and you will have fun stenciling on a round tube. solution = tape the frame out with masking tape then sketch and draw the design on and then cut the tape away in areas you want painted and then once dry remove tape, then once all dry clear coat the whole frame. done

juzzo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got my ht frame painted for 69, gloss black pretty good job, they did get some paint in my bb shell but apart from that its good

tim2

Likes Bikes
what about getting graphics put on ur bike?? i want to get myn painted again but with new graphis
i got my bike painted by a spraypainter mate, got some stencils made up by cycle underground, came up awesome, dark dark green with red pearl.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get your bike stripped then take it down to a shop that anidises and get it done. After this just get a person who is a professional spayer (like a boat spayer or car spayer) and get it done there it will turn out fine just tell themnot to spay like in BB shell and other places like that. make your own stencils and then it will look awesome

tinkerbell

Likes Dirt
iam thinking of getting my dh bike done just need to know something's before.
can you sand blase the frame?
will it need to be powder coated?

Last edited:

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think sandblasting can weaken an alloy frame - its better to strip the paint and sand the frame. I know some people get their frames beadblasted prior to powdercoating.

SLICK_ZERO

Likes Bikes
haha

there is no need to get ur frame sandblasted just rub it and paint and for stickers go to someone professional that does decals or signwriting then u can even get custom style sickers made for your bike to make it stand out but its really up to you as for the paint take my advice as i am a vehicle painter and know my shit:D

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I just painted a ferret onto my downtube. I masking taped the stencil onto the frame, masking taped newspaper onto the stencil to cover exposed bike and then spraypainted it black. I then did a red outline handpainted around the outside. It's been 3 days and nothing bad's happened yet...(even with the tiny bit of turps i cleaned the spray drips with

Lube

Likes Dirt
For those wondering how to avoid getting pain in the BB shell, maybe just get an old BB from your LBS to put it in the BB shell in place of your original, so no paint will actually get in the shell and threads. Once job is finished take it out and then put your original BB back in the clean paintless shell

Lube

Likes Dirt
Does anybody actually have any pictures of finished paintjobs because im thinking about getting my pushi done in pearl white, with electric blue and green tribal decals/designs................