Pad 26/10/09

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I must apologise in advance for this PAD, being pretty busy has led to me leaving this project to the last minute. I haven't had time to go out and shoot anything new. But enough with excuses...

Landscape: This is the main lake that Queenstown sits on, Lake Wakatipu. Originally built as a gold mining town, it has now become the capital of adventure tourism and extreme sports. The mountains rise from all sides of the lake, enclosing the town in a wintry capsule. It reminded me a lot of a much nicer version of Jindabyne, since it is nestled so close to a big lake, and borders on some of the regions most popular ski resorts.

Alan always manages to get in the way of most of my photos, this one is no exception. It was a wet day and we headed up to the track to do a bit of riding and photographing before sundown. No matter where I ride, or how good the trails are elsewhere, I still feel like the local track we build and maintain is my favourite. When you have built every corner, overturned every rock, you know the trail in-and-out. Yet, it never gets boring, as the rain, wind and tyres leave fresh tracks each run, and you are constantly pushing to adapt. It's a great place to ride, whenever and whatever the time of day.

This took a bit of head scratching. I've never really taken much interest in food photography, so this is as close as it gets. My grandparents, now well over 80, run a Limousin cattle farm outside of Coonabarabran, in northern NSW. They only have about 200 head now, but the property is a substantial 3,300 acres. This is a photo of the paddock basher they use to get around the property.

I'm really not much of a team player, am I? I've never tried macro photography, and this is no exception. This is Dave Musgrove, he is the main man behind what used to be the Grove. He has currently turned his sights toward a neglected patch of trails in Castle Cove, and over the last few weeks they have undergone a huge transformation. With the help of a few excellent builders, and one friendly council-funded bobcat driver, Dave and co have made some amazing, legal trails. So if you ever see this face around, be sure to thank him for his amazing dedication to the Sydney trail scene.

Since I was useless on the food and macro front, I will put up two "other" photographs. This one basically came out of the camera quite unusable. Shot at ISO 1 billion, and very much underexposed, I went tramping (New Zealand term?) down a barely visible trail just outside Queenstown to snap off this little waterfall. It was on its way into Lake Wakatipu, and we stumbled upon this walking track on our last morning in NZ, just before heading to the airport. Such an epic little place, and so close to a major town. It was covered in bike tracks, and many of the corners were well-supported, so it was clearly a multi-use trail. One amazing little XC run if you lived in the town, thats for sure.

I took two photos of this rail, one which I have already posted. The reason I didn't choose this photo originally was because Joe (who is the rider) just didn't seem to portray the same natural movement as in the other photo. This one was too static, and he looked almost to comfortable. But now I've decided to pull it out, because it was a really cool spot, and this one definitely had nicer colour tones.

So there is my PAD, I hope you enjoyed it despite the sub-par images!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Nice, Olly :) I always like seeing the photos you take.

Also, Alan, when I come to Sydney I'm going to bring my old TLD helmet with me to give to you, because that 661 thing makes you look like such a squid.

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
Nice, Olly :) I always like seeing the photos you take.

Also, Alan, when I come to Sydney I'm going to bring my old TLD helmet with me to give to you, because that 661 thing makes you look like such a squid.
hahaha but thanks too you I might even be able to buy my own new one;)

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lake shot in Qtown ....FTW.

Olly, your "not so great" submissions put most of us to shame. Great PAD dude.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
fantastic shots olly.. your work just keeps getting better and better and every time i see how much you've progressed i'm just in awe :)

keep it up! i'll have to come school you in macro (just about the only thing i actually can do :p)