Overkill paint scheme!

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Adin said:
Yea wateva....

I havent been into MTB all that long so don't blame me :p
Fair enought then. i'll let you off. But you should try and find some photos of em. It was like "here he comes, the dude on the green bike". "what, you mean the guy that just went past on the purple bike".

Confusing stuff

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
zen_rider said:
Techno Destructo said:
Well, if you love your bike, you continually spend hours tuning and tweaking it out all the time. But what do you do if there's nothing left to tweak, tune or fix? Grab your airbrush/brushes/paint and spend more hours putting on that super-stylee, super-elite ultimate-custom paint job!
how about RIDING IT??????
Rain days. Or night (and you have no lights). Or you're sick at home?

sich nich

Likes Dirt
josh said:
Adin said:
It'd be sick to have that paint that changes colur on a bike too. I forgot the name of it. Hehehehe 8)
its called chameloen colour......duh! :p
isnt it called pearl paint?

i saw an old super 8 with white mainframe and a purple swing arn that changes to orange! made me look twice

grovesy

Likes Dirt
sich nich said:
josh said:
Adin said:
It'd be sick to have that paint that changes colur on a bike too. I forgot the name of it. Hehehehe 8)
its called chameloen colour......duh! :p
isnt it called pearl paint?

i saw an old super 8 with white mainframe and a purple swing arn that changes to orange! made me look twice
Harlequin I think.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The paint is known by all those names, and probably many others.
Most of the spray-painters I know though will refer to it is a pearl paint. The "pearl" is the tint thing they stick in the paint to give it a different colour in different light.
Thus, a single pearl paint will (I think) usually flick between two base colours, but you can add multiple pearls if you want to get really trippy. A pearl (I think) can also be as simple as the really cool white paint I want for my frame, which is simply white, unless the light hits it at the right angle, usually along crease lines or the edge of tubes) where it will show off a coloured tint (I'm a big fan of blue).

I hope that makes sense. It's my understanding, but is really only a compilation of bits and pieces I've heard from people who do the stuff, so I don't know how much I've mis-interpretted.

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
So how is it that these pearl/cameleon/harlequin paints work? How is it there are two colours? do you put a base colour on, and then paint the other over the top?

Rik

logged out
From memory, pearl paint is completely different to the Harlequin paint. Harlequin is the brand name, for colour changing paint... Whilst a pearl in paint will change colour in light, it'll only have one or two colours, whereas harlequin has like 5 or so...

Rik

logged out
Oh, and how they change colour... due to multi-faced particles suspended in the paint, all aligned so when you look at different angles, it's a different colour. I'm taking a wild guess at that, but it makes sense to me.

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
I don't think it is halequin as harlequin it looks to me like they have a decal there. There is now a process that prints on 3D object, i.e. a patern is printed on the frame (if you look close it is a lizard patern).