Otway Odyssey entries open - new course?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://tinyurl.com/9urgzej

Not sure how I feel about this. I may change my view after the race, but for me the attraction has always been the same course, trying to beat my KOM and Red Carpet times, and trying to knock a few minutes off the previous year.

Plus starting the race in Apollo Bay is pretty cool.

It will make logistics more difficult, especially if staying on the coast - in the past I could get up and sneak out without waking the other half.

I hope there's a few shuttles running up the hill in the morning!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
They recon it's hillier! I think I'll be back for this one.
But yeah, mixed feelings about changing the course.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm glad they changed the course, that was badly needed imho. I was not going to do the 13 OO if they kept it the same. Usually with the 100 I'd be stuffed before I got to the fun singletrack.

Good move, and I'm now thinking about an entry.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Shame to not be dong it from Apollo Bay as well, the point to point aspect made it a unique race. But it probably did need a revamp, last year was the first it didn't sell out early (if at all??)

The first loop is the same they did in 2007 when it didn't include all the single track. Not as constant climbing from Apollo bay but just as painful if not more!

Looking forward to redcarpet and 456 to finish, that's my favourite part of the course.

Just need to start praying to the weather gods! And maybe some training.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
without the first 40ks from Apollo Bay ... don't think this will be the unique 'epic' event that it once was, yep it's onto the paved freeways of forrest, the organisers have listened to their feedback. even though we know forrest is primo mountain biking the wildness of the first 40ks that would truly break you and take you to your edge has gone. not saying the new course won't be as challenging and as much fun - might see more cx entries this time.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
righto singlespeeders how does this look, compared to previous courses...
Looks better suited to a SS than previous courses. Sure there'll be some backward marching on the brief downhill road section through Forrest, but that 10km climb up Hayden Tk and the climb up Kaanglang Rd look sweet for SS. One downside is the Red Carpet timed descent isn't until the 75km mark. More fatigue might mean more mistakes here, but there will be less traffic for sure. Definitely going to try and get down there for a test ride.

Disappointed to not be starting in AB, but it looks like a better option financially for the town of Forrest (rightly so) and it must be easier logistically for the organisers. Inevitably there will still be a heap of riders still staying in AB, which will mean an early start for many.

one more thing...the start is uphill!!!

Last edited:

stu-2

Likes Dirt
what would the gradient be of the 10k climb, anyone have any info. I thought i would be smart and booked in to Apollo Bay to avoid the drive but that has backfired on me...

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what would the gradient be of the 10k climb, anyone have any info. I thought i would be smart and booked in to Apollo Bay to avoid the drive but that has backfired on me...
Looks to be about 350m over about 9km or so, rather easy I'd say. Reality may be a little different.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say the last 30-40ks will be the toughest as we have a long climb going out to the Kaanglang Quarry with the red carpet and west forrest trails, some tight technical stuff - that has you going up and down frequently, pretty challenging with ks on the legs.

of course first climbs are where you can easily over cook yourself, should be interesting with all the riders belting along those tracks.

for me the make or break section time wise will be the 40-60k loop, pace judgement will be important here.

also if I have read map correctly we are going down the sledgehammer and britney's meltdown (thompson track) eitherway some fast descents.

at least this is a course where the climbs are achieveable and with the right mtb type training, (climbing and plenty of technie single track) think there could be some very fast times.

will be interesting to see the time comparison of old vs new course. with 1000 metres less climbing and hopefully no conjestion on ST ... well will be fun.

Last edited:

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Still looks like we are going up sledgehammer, we are just coming from the other way on thompsons track.

Should be a few pretty big bunches all the way up Hayden track, that was the great thing about wild dog road, it really spread people out quickly

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Bowden spur road out near Kinglake is a pretty solid climb for training. It's 3.7km long and climbs 326 meters with an average grade is 8.9%.
Sam Chancellor is current KOM on strava with a time of 18:26.
I took a couple of wrong turns and ended up riding it on the roadie. Big mistake.