Otway Odyssey '08!!

Hud

Likes Dirt
So the 100km this year has 'only' 2500m of climbing? Thats a whole lot less than I was expecting. Wasn't it over 4000m last year? I'm not complaining anyway.:)
I'm wondering about taking the car up from Apollo Bay and leaving it in Forrest overnight with supplies etc. in it, as well as a means of transport back to Apollo Bay. I seem to recall seeing this as a reccomendation on the Rapidascent site but can't find anything about it now.

The issues are (1) overnight security. Is it possible to park at or near the football ground overnight? I presume there will be a lot of stuff set up there by Friday so that means there will be security/people around there all night keeping an eye on stuff?

(2) Getting a lift back to Apollo Bay after dropping the car off. I presume there will be loads of people coming through Forrest to Apollo Bay. Surely someone will have room to give a MTBer a lift to Apollo Bay. If you see someone holding up a cardboard sign wilh 'Apollo Bay' on it, it'll be me. :) Anyone else planning to do this?

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the 100km this year has 'only' 2500m of climbing? Thats a whole lot less than I was expecting. Wasn't it over 4000m last year? I'm not complaining anyway.:)
I think it was 3200 last year, down from an intitial estimate of 3900 odd?

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
I'm wondering about taking the car up from Apollo Bay and leaving it in Forrest overnight with supplies etc. in it, as well as a means of transport back to Apollo Bay. I seem to recall seeing this as a reccomendation on the Rapidascent site but can't find anything about it now.

The issues are (1) overnight security. Is it possible to park at or near the football ground overnight? I presume there will be a lot of stuff set up there by Friday so that means there will be security/people around there all night keeping an eye on stuff?

(2) Getting a lift back to Apollo Bay after dropping the car off. I presume there will be loads of people coming through Forrest to Apollo Bay. Surely someone will have room to give a MTBer a lift to Apollo Bay. If you see someone holding up a cardboard sign wilh 'Apollo Bay' on it, it'll be me. :) Anyone else planning to do this?

Ride back down ?? 30 odd km's isn't it ... could be a nice roll to loosen the legs the afternoon before the race.

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
Tyre Pressures - Otway / Forrest / Yaugher

Anyone care to comment on any recommended UST tyre px for the area ... what is the common basic trail structure here ... Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.1 is my rubber choice. Thanks.

Hud

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that, I thought I clicked on that section earlier.
Found this:

"It is not that hard, either team up with some friends and leave a car at each end, or leave a car at Forrest on the Friday evening or catch a lift back with others but just be aware that the start and finish are in different locations. Conversely, if you are driving from one town to the other and have space in your car then please offer a lift to anyone who looks to be in need – it helps build the mountain biker spirit too!"

I noted too that personal halfway-point food has to be dropped off at Apollo Bay to be transported up, and will be there waiting for us which is pretty convenient.

Hud

Likes Dirt
Anyone care to comment on any recommended UST tyre px for the area ... what is the common basic trail structure here ... Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.1 is my rubber choice. Thanks.
From what I've seen it's sandy and loamy in place, but tyre choice will have to wait til we see if its gonna be wet or dry.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
From what I've seen it's sandy and loamy in place, but tyre choice will have to wait til we see if its gonna be wet or dry.
Good call. I'm hoping to run crossmarks if dry or will need to buy whatever if its wet :rolleyes: I rode Bonty Jones XR last year so if those worked you can get away with most- as they suck donkey nads.

As for getting back to the coast- you can grab a lift off the bunch i'm with i'm sure of it ;)

We should exchange mobile numbers to meet up for food there anyhow?

so who is making all the moeny on the australian made stuff? I realise the importer has to make a dollar and the shops do aswell but comeon someones making a shitload. I know for a fact i purchased my XTR pedal under cost for the shops!
I'll give you a hint, ever seen a very rich bike shop owner? No me either.

There is a reason why torpedo7 has 2 different web sites.
http://www.torpedo7.com.au
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz

Notice the Australian one has no Shimano parts and if you buy Shimano off the NZ site they will not ship it to Australia. This is due to Shimano Australia "aggressively" protecting their massively inflated Australian market.

I really couldn't care less about the debate anymore either. The money I save buying parts from overseas means I can afford to enter more events each year anyway. So it's all good. It all goes back to the sport somehow.

I'll be doing my first Odyssey this year. Mostly because 3 of my riding buddies did it last year, none finished and none are going back :eek: I like a challenge. They still ask me every week at our Thursday night rides "so you still doing the Odyssey then?" Trying to build the sense of dread I'm starting to get

only my opinion

Hey you mob,
just finished the first fifty of the 100. Really acheivable if you think about it. When you get to the top of that lung buster( im not top end so sid you should change thread now) flying down is going to hurt. on each decent towards the bottom it gets rutty and difficult. twice i was over the bars , winding down the windows from last minute deep rutts(deep,deep,deep). take my advice know it , or slow down. apart from that the climb's are all hard but fair. except 2, thanks John. all in all if it's dry and under 30'were all ok.
if not , ha ha i hate to think. shane.:)

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think 2 water stops for the 50km, and they're both stream fillups. A few more for the 100, a couple of spots where they're providing free electrolyte powder as well. Think the only food stop is coming through Forrest before you head out for the 2nd loop.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I think 2 water stops for the 50km, and they're both stream fillups. A few more for the 100, a couple of spots where they're providing free electrolyte powder as well. Think the only food stop is coming through Forrest before you head out for the 2nd loop.
Cool ;) At least if its a hot day- people won't be falling like flies.

Question is.... how many gels are you guys carrying for the 100? I worked it out for my weight to be 2/ hour. So maybe I'll carry 12 + that highly rated performance drink called red bull haha :)

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question is.... how many gels are you guys carrying for the 100? I worked it out for my weight to be 2/ hour. So maybe I'll carry 12 + that highly rated performance drink called red bull haha :)
Dude what ever you do, Dont drink Redbull in an endurance race, sure you will fell good, for about 5mins but then you'll crash and burn, plus the amount of caffeine in it will make you ill.especially if you drink heaps.

Get some Guranana and ginseng tablets take one before the race and one at the halfway point,
If your going to drink something at least get some Endura, HEED, Gatorade.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Dude what ever you do, Dont drink Redbull in an endurance race, sure you will fell good, for about 5mins but then you'll crash and burn, plus the amount of caffeine in it will make you ill.especially if you drink heaps.

Get some Guranana and ginseng tablets take one before the race and one at the halfway point,
If your going to drink something at least get some Endura, HEED, Gatorade.
lol- dude- i ride endurance events a fair bit :) Nothing wrong with a few red bulls.... It's all good. But yes- one or two- not all day! haha (can you imagine red bull ALL day- haha!)

But thanks anyhoo :S

Last edited:

NickC

Squid
Hardtail for the climbs and being stuffed with a hardtail and a sore arse in the single track or dually for the single track and carting more weight up the hills? What do people reckon?

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Hardtail for the climbs and being stuffed with a hardtail and a sore arse in the single track or dually for the single track and carting more weight up the hills? What do people reckon?
Hardtail for me :) as for sore arse- never suffered it myself. A good fitting seat on a steel or Ti frame- some padding in your shorts and time in teh saddle to harden the fuck up does the trick. :p

Oh- and not pulling at extra 1.5KG up hill still rocks my world regardless of trends and what the spin doctors tell us! ( i need all teh help i can get :D)

It is a personal thing i know- and the single track may be faster on a dually- who knows? i prefer the ups anyhow. If its wet- well a dually will kill you- i'm going rigid if its soggy :D

Last edited:

Mr Green

Likes Dirt
I rode a hardtail last year and had no probs at all. Was really worried about getting saddle sore so took a tub of vaseline. Ended up using the vas as chain lube which worked better than nothing! TAKE SOME CHAIN LUBE!