Online entries now open for the 2012 Lake Mountain Granite Grind

The Lake Mountain Granite Grind is back! Twenty twelve will be the third year the Granite Grind has run and it's fast becoming a 'must do' event on many peoples racing calendar.

The local riding community has been buoyed by visits from Glen Jacobs and the crew from World Trail, and we hope to get Glen onboard and involved in future trail developement in the local area. Of great interest to the local MTB community is the Lake Mountain to Marysville trail, which we're hoping will find momentum and gain approval before the year is out...fingers crossed!

...so why not come check out the region for yourself, and put the 2012 Granite Grind in your diary...Saturday, February 25th...for more information go to http://lakemountainresort.com.au/latest-news/granite-grind...see you there!

Happy Trails!

The Lake Mountain crew

Last edited:

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Just registered for the 2 Lap Open Male cat'.
Looking forward to riding Lake Mountain as it is previously a place I've only skied.
Looking to camp locally for the weekend and tip some $ into a community where it is much needed after the devastation of Black Sat'.

See yaz there,

Ben:)

serowe

Likes Dirt
2012 Granite Grind results available

Full results for todays 2012 Granite Grind are now available on my RaceNews site - as soon as the Lake Mountain Resort site carries them I'll change the link to point to their web site:

http://racenews.com.au/

Kessel11

Cannon Fodder
Fun race today.

Are these the official results? According to what's been posted I did a 1hr 48min first lap (???) and a 52 min second lap and no third lap for a DNF.

Definitely finished and according to my Garmin it was around 2hrs 40mins - sure my first lap hasn't been combined with my second?

Appreciate it if you can have a look to see what's happened - Ben English, Open Male, 3 Laps.

Cheers.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Ben - I'll have a look in the morning - AFAIK we fixed the only mistakes we picked up but that isn't to say I got everything (never admit you got it wrong :) )

Too hot tonight and I haven't even unpacked the notebook the results are on so will check later.

Stephen

nismo

Likes Dirt
For anyone looking to do this event in the future, Don't let the short distance of 10,20,30K let you think it is an easy race!

its a tough slog, i have no idea how people can do 3x ~45min consistent laps.!!

I crashed and burnt after 2.5 laps and did 1h:10min for each of the first two laps.

i recommend this event, its alot of fun, especially the rocky downhills, you really need to hold on to your **** going down them.

Great event.

nismo

Likes Dirt
PS guys,

what do you think, a duallie does alot of a better job out there? i seemed to be getting passed by so many 29r dualies!

(26 ht)

serowe

Likes Dirt
Ben's query was valid and corrected results have been posted - it moves Ben to 19th but doesn't affect the major placing.

Ben - apologies - the correction was originally made but,yet again for some reason, the DURT software didn't carry this correction over to the printed results - it took quite a bit of messing around to fix it.

Revised results have been sent to Lake Mountain Resort for their web site as well.

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
PS guys,

what do you think, a duallie does alot of a better job out there? i seemed to be getting passed by so many 29r dualies!

(26 ht)
Have to admit the downhill sections were a heap of fun on my rocky mountain 29er full sus, pity I snapped my rear derailuer cable at the end of the first lap and rode the rest of the race. Made those uphill switch backs tough! Fun track though

nismo

Likes Dirt
I raced the granite grind 3 lap race this weekend.

I'v only been riding for about 6 months and ride twice a week, about 80 k all up.

I chose the three lap option thinking that 30k isnt too far to ride, anyhow this is how i went.

Lap one of the event 1h:10min, lap two 1h:05min. Lap three = dead & could not pedal any more!!

I simply could not pedal any more and could not gain any speed at all.

what did i do wrong, under train ? not enough food ?

breakfast was 2 toast + two museli + packet of chips + gatorade (i know not the best)
during the ride i had, 2x museli bars. during the third lap i was STARVING of hunger at least thats how it felt.

What should i do to avoid crashing and burning again ?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I raced the granite grind 3 lap race this weekend.

I'v only been riding for about 6 months and ride twice a week, about 80 k all up.

I chose the three lap option thinking that 30k isnt too far to ride, anyhow this is how i went.

Lap one of the event 1h:10min, lap two 1h:05min. Lap three = dead & could not pedal any more!!

I simply could not pedal any more and could not gain any speed at all.

what did i do wrong, under train ? not enough food ?

breakfast was 2 toast + two museli + packet of chips + gatorade (i know not the best)
during the ride i had, 2x museli bars. during the third lap i was STARVING of hunger at least thats how it felt.

What should i do to avoid crashing and burning again ?
the granite grind is fairly hilly. How much hill climbing training did you do in your 80km a week (and I think u need to be brutally honest with yourself). Also was the training 'intense' or 'soft'?

If I raced it I know I would have eaten alot more then 2 museli bars. did u drink any liquids?