ohh nooo

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
welly said, except you may have incrminated your self a little. get on his bad books, he can go straight to the authorities, you have admitted it was you who was part of building them, and you have supplied evidence against your self. I would be careful what I said to him ..
I was aware of that when I was writing the e-mail. Though I think he'd be in deeper shit with the filming of someones house and what not and saying that one of them was a builder of the trails and including their address.

I'm considering e-mailing him back and apoligising for my insults and brash tone for my previous e-mail and talking to him about working together in lobbying the Council for an area to ride.

I still dislike him a great deal as my tools have disappeared and I'd put him in the category of likely to have taken them. He's quite irreverent about peoples belongings and things his Gods gift to be going around pointing stuff out and giving locations.

Seeing as the location IS out I guess the place can now become a Farkin orientated place if we wanted to get it back up to par. Who'd be keen?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Seeing as the location IS out
i was going to say that, in the email you could have said somthing like, i understand that ALOT of people who ride dirt jumps like these, would look liek idiots to the public, litering, swearing, and just "modern day youth" in general, but by building out of the way like these are, and moderating who knew about them, we were able to make a good name for our self, with leaving no rubbish etc, now you have come along and spread the word about my jump's, every man and his dog will be down there, messing up the area, 100times worse than you can imagine, and it will be partial your fault.

etc etc..

come to think of it, you kind of did say that.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Urgh, so much facepalm.

This guy seriously has minimal idea and is making up irrelevant facts.

...eh what ever.

bighitben

Likes Dirt
I was aware of that when I was writing the e-mail. Though I think he'd be in deeper shit with the filming of someones house and what not and saying that one of them was a builder of the trails and including their address.

I'm considering e-mailing him back and apoligising for my insults and brash tone for my previous e-mail and talking to him about working together in lobbying the Council for an area to ride.

I still dislike him a great deal as my tools have disappeared and I'd put him in the category of likely to have taken them. He's quite irreverent about peoples belongings and things his Gods gift to be going around pointing stuff out and giving locations.

Seeing as the location IS out I guess the place can now become a Farkin orientated place if we wanted to get it back up to par. Who'd be keen?
I'd be keen to help.

Last edited:

stonetho

Banned
what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
who would have the time to bother all of peoples brillient work!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
the trails were imaculate....whats rong with this guy:mad:
there are much bigger threats to the invoroment that some beautiful trails those were a god send and that guy is bitching about them being to big and bad for the invoroment.....:mad:
there are much bigger invoromental problems that some perfactly made jumps

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

how awsome was there sick set up ...
weebarows... the bbq ..... who ever made those trails is asome:D:D
who ever destroys them is an absolute prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I am actually.
For some reason when I double click it, it just gives me errors.
Been happening for about a week now, exculsive to farkin.
tbh, i dotn knwo how to post just a LINK.. as everytime i post the link, it embeds it. sorry.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Well I got around to writing an email back to him.

It reads:

Mr Baker,

I'd just like to extend a formal apology to you for my message I sent to you through YouTube the other day. After watching your video/s I became upset and angry towards your allegations that the people who built the track in the National Park/ Carrington Oval and behind the poor fellows house were all the same people.

I feel obliged to try and explain to you why I became so upset. Myself and many others have spent countless hours perfecting the shape of the jumps down behind Carrington Oval to try and create a safe environment to ride with doing as little impact to the environment as possible. I became angry when you decided to disclose the location to the area and provide false allegations that the people who built that area were infact the same people who built within National Park boundaries.

In a society where there is little to no legal facilities catering for Mountain Bikers, it forces riders to go and build illegal bike tracks and often that means they will delve into National Parks to find a secret area to build.

However I do still stand by some statements which I said earlier. The weeds which you speak of that have travelled down through the creeks waterway and bedding into the side of the bank could be caused from a number of reasons, not specifically caused by our track. With the creation of the freeway, that hill was excavated and hundreds of tonnes of dirt was moved which would be a suitable environment for the weeds which favor loose soil.

After many people of the www.farkin.net community stumbled accross your video they too became upset as they are aware of the hard work which we have put in. I documented the complete building process of the area for that website so people could witness safe building procedures and methods which would harm the environment as little as possible - this includes finding a suitable area which does not require the removal of trees and is in an area unsuitable for further community development.

I feel that because many of the Mountain bike demographic who participate in this style of riding (Dirt Jumping) is of a young age and to lobby a council at the age of 15-18 would prove impossible because the stereotypes of that age group is that we are all vandals and have no respect. With help from people like you (Avid Bush Walkers - People who oppose the illegal construction bike tracks) we may come to an agreement that a legal bike park would be best for the environment, for bush walkers and for bike riders. I'm hoping that we may be able to work together in the future to lobby the Council (be it Hornsby or Ku-Ring-Gai) for legal Mountain Biking facilities.

Again I apologise for my behaviour beforehand and would like to retract any harmful statements directed towards you but I hope that you understand why I became angry.

For more information on the track you may want to read the following http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=83394

Will

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
video

yeah good email gluey.

Did anybody else notice that he was wearing an old WW2 Army Bayonet around his waist? Have a look at the bit were they film the tool box. What is that all about?

I am more worried about crazy people with bayonets chasing mythocial Bobcats than people building some jumps. :eek:

Last edited:

Batey

Likes Dirt
I havent had a chance to watch it yet as i cant get youtube at work. Have to wait to i get home. But i do remember the article in the paper about 8 months ago or so.
Also another interesting points is that these trails have not been touched for more then 6 months.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Wow, some of you should really do some research into erosion before you shoot your mouths off about there being more pressing environmental issues at hand.

It's obvious that a lot of 16 year olds with "I'm angry at my father" syndrome have posted in here about the hide of people ruining someone's "brilliant hard work" et al. and i'm appalled at some of the other comments.

Do you honestly think writing to the guy and swearing at him will do anything other than make you look like a complete 'tard? Use your brain......instead of working against the guy, work with him. He's highlighting a need for these facilities and it would seem he has some sway within the council.

What a stupid fat bastard. Who gives a shit about native weeds and kangaroo apple?

"i have informed the council about this"

i would punch him in the teeth if i ever saw him.

cun-.....er, douche

EDIT: here is his email. david.baker@hornsbyav.com.au

google is my friend :) go nuts
You, sir.....are the douche of the highest order and a seemingly large contributor to the stereotyping of people who ride mountain bikes.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt

Wow, some of you should really do some research into erosion before you shoot your mouths off about there being more pressing environmental issues at hand.

It's obvious that a lot of 16 year olds with "I'm angry at my father" syndrome have posted in here about the hide of people ruining someone's "brilliant hard work" et al. and i'm appalled at some of the other comments.

Do you honestly think writing to the guy and swearing at him will do anything other than make you look like a complete 'tard? Use your brain......instead of working against the guy, work with him. He's highlighting a need for these facilities and it would seem he has some sway within the council.

You, sir.....are the douche of the highest order and a seemingly large contributor to the stereotyping of people who ride mountain bikes.
Nah i dont think so. I mean ok some of the comments may not have been phased in the best terms however that doesnt mean that anyone should think that he is then an expert and farkin people are idoits???

Personally i wont waste my time with him. Obviously it is annoying that he is running around on his little ninja missions trying to be the fun police however consider this,

1. what authority does he have? None! he is just some Vigilante
2. was he acting in a legal way himself? No, he is clearly shown on the video carrying a bayonet which is (i am pretty sure) illegal in a national park or anywhere
3. Trying to take a view that he is an expert. Clearly a "Bobcat was used" yeah right..what other "facts" eg erosion, weeds etc are cleary horse poo poo. Probably most of it.

In short, why would anybody give this guy any time. If it were me i would just ignore him and go and have fun at the jumps. At the same time be getting as close to the council to lobby the legal DJ case.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Although many of you seem to think it's not worth bothering, perhaps it would be appropriate if, instead of sending angry emails, try and explain to him why we actually have illegal trails in the first place. He might not know anything about our situation regarding the lack of any legal bike facilities in Sydney. Anyway, I sent him an email:

Dear Mr Baker,

Recently I have come across some of your videos on youtube which detail areas of bushland that have been damaged by the construction of bike trails. Although you have probably received many abusive and incoherent e-mails on the topic, I would like to explain the current situation which we are facing. I am a mountain biker and cyclist, and also work once a week in a large bike store in Manly. I am also a fulltime uni student and spend as much free time as I can riding. The issue facing mountain bikers in particular in all council areas (including Honrsby, Warringah, Manly, Pittwater etc.) right now are the huge gap between the many thousands of people who enjoy the sport, and the facilities which do not exist.

Myself and a number of others are currently doing battle with Manly council regarding a bike track called 'The Grove', which was built in a residential area mostly by clearing lantana bushes almost thirty years ago. Recently the council decided to demolish the track, only a few days after a charity fundraiser event there, that raised money for the Bridge of Hope charity. The reason for demolishing it, as they claimed, was naturally a liability issue; and not one of destroying endangered bushland (as it was almost entirely riddled with lantana, most of which was actually cleared in the process).

Now although these circumstances are somewhat different to what you are arguing, I illustrate them here to paint a very small picture of a very big problem. Right now, there are no legal places for mountain bikers to ride, apart from the road, and a small circuit called Manly Dam, which for most part is uneventful, crowded on weekends and only caters to the minority of cross-country riders, not to the many other tiers of mountain biking. What we, as a community, have long ago come to realise, is that local and state government is not interested in providing any offroad facilities for mountain bikers in the entire Sydney region. Currently, there are many people working as advocates to council and local government to try and free up some areas for mountain biking tracks, but over the last decade, NO facilities have been provided at all. In fact, many places are instead being sold off and re-zoned for development.

So you can now see a bit of our dillema. The many thousands of people who enjoy the sport have nowhere to go. Although there are hundreds of bike stores selling bikes designed for these activities, and thousands of users, there are no places (legally) to ride. That is why you have stumbled across trails in the bush, some well hidden, and some not so. In fact, there are many, many more bike tracks more secluded and more secret than the ones you have discovered. Unfortunately, however, this is the only way these thousands of people can actually enjoy their sport. They are shunned and cut off from any funding for ANY facilities, so they have long since given up on the idea that they may ever get a place to ride that is legal. The worst part is, many of these people took up the sport of mountain biking to get outside, enjoy our natural bushland and breathe some fresh air! Most of the people who build tracks (not all) do very little damage to the surrounding bushland, and never cut down trees or divert streams or runoff, as many of the more experienced builders follow IMBA guidelines for sustainable trails.

It is a shame that there is such controversy over the degradation of these natural pockets of bush, but it is an unfortunate circumstance of a large, frustrated group of people that have nowhere else to go.

Regards,
Oliver Smith