Oh no it's stuck

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Here we go again I've got an issue I need some help with before it ends up in the fuckwits thread.
Currently my rear axel is stuck in my rear hub and I am unable to get my rear wheel out. The axel unscrews from the frame and just spread the swing arm.
Bike is a Canfield running a 142mm rear maxel with a stans 3.3 hub. I haven't had the rear wheel off in a few months and have been through some pretty average conditions lately. And believe the axel is stuck to the hubs sleeve with mud and crap.
I currently have tried lubricants, hitting with hammers, using clamps and heat. And next step I think is cutting the axel and hub spacers unless anyone can give me some ideas?

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
If you screw it all the way in again, does it show any threads?
Are those maybe damaged?

Doesn't the maxle have a wedge that needs to be adjusted with an allen wrench that it is what actually clamps the axle in the non-threaded side?
Have you loosened it? Very unlikely as you would barely be able to turn it, but worth a looking at?

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
If you screw it all the way in again, does it show any threads?
Are those maybe damaged?

Doesn't the maxle have a wedge that needs to be adjusted with an allen wrench that it is what actually clamps the axle in the non-threaded side?
Have you loosened it? Very unlikely as you would barely be able to turn it, but worth a looking at?
No doesn't have a wedge. And the axel unscrews all the way out of the dropout and also screws back in no damage to threads yet

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Does it always unthread and follow the NDS stay?
if so... perhaps try 3/4 tightening it and if there's a gap at the DS then try pushing against the entire wheel to shift the gap to the NDS, then slowly move from side to side, unthreading as you go?

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Does it always unthread and follow the NDS stay?
if so... perhaps try 3/4 tightening it and if there's a gap at the DS then try pushing against the entire wheel to shift the gap to the NDS, then slowly move from side to side, unthreading as you go?
Yeah tried this as well as 1/2 unscrewing it and using a clamp on each dropout and winding the clamp in, but still no luck, also tried hitting dropout with a rubber mallet, all to no success

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unwind axle all the way. Secure bike from moving (may be 2 person job). Put punch through drop out onto end of axle. Hit punch with hammer and push axle out.

Can you get some form of lever or grabbing device onto the head end of the axle? To pull it...

Freeze the axle with liquid nitrogen and the shatter it.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Just had a thought....
Have you removed the brake caliper as you may be bending the hell out of your rotor and/or it is stopping you from able to slide the wheel along the axle....

Once the caliper is out of the way, have you tried carefully spraying WD-40 or anti seize into the axle/hub interface and leaving it to penetrate?

You'll have to make sure all residue is gone from your rotor before re-using.

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Yeah brake calliper is off as this all started by trying to change brakes, tried all hitting axel with a punch, wd and penetrating lubricants. Haven't used nitrogen though as I don't have any but did heat up the hub and spray the axel with a cold spray still no luck

stirk

Burner
Must be hard to unscrew if the axle is not moving through the hub sleeve and is pushing apart the swingarm!

Axle is seized on the inner sleeve is a guess, Rostoff by Wurth is amazing stuff for freeing stubborn components which have corroded together. Always have some of this on hand, beats frozen sperm hands down.

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Unwind axle all the way. Secure bike from moving (may be 2 person job). Put punch through drop out onto end of axle. Hit punch with hammer and push axle out.

Can you get some form of lever or grabbing device onto the head end of the axle? To pull it...

Freeze the axle with liquid nitrogen and the shatter it.
Can't get anything under the head as it is a button head Allen key on the end of the bolt

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had a similar issue with a fork. What I ended up doing was grabbing a few mega cable ties and with the maxle screwed fully in cable tie the chain stays together through the wheel tight enough that there is no slack but not to the extent where you deform anything. Then unscrew the maxle. I also had opened the forks up a little and sprayed penetrant onto the hub and left it all overnight. Came straight out the next day. The chainstays are supported and wont bend.

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Must be hard to unscrew if the axle is not moving through the hub sleeve and is pushing apart the swingarm!

Axle is seized on the inner sleeve is a guess, Rostoff by Wurth is amazing stuff for freeing stubborn components which have corroded together. Always have some of this on hand, beats frozen sperm hands down.
This is my issue have tried wd40 and also a substance we use at work called penetrine it normally works wonders but no luck at the moment.
Might get some of this and give it a go
Thanks

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Had a similar issue with a fork. What I ended up doing was grabbing a few mega cable ties and with the maxle screwed fully in cable tie the chain stays together through the wheel tight enough that there is no slack but not to the extent where you deform anything. Then unscrew the maxle. I also had opened the forks up a little and sprayed penetrant onto the hub and left it all overnight. Came straight out the next day. The chainstays are supported and wont bend.
Yeah tried this with a G clamp instead of cable ties no luck

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah tried this with a G clamp instead of cable ties no luck
Then you need to really soak it in possum's piss to break up the corrosion products gluing it all together. Bike on its side, undo the maxle to get a gap and keep pouring penetrant around the maxle until you get leakage on t'other side.

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Then you need to really soak it in possum's piss to break up the corrosion products gluing it all together. Bike on its side, undo the maxle to get a gap and keep pouring penetrant around the maxle until you get leakage on t'other side.
Been soaking for the last few days

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the replies guys, finally solved the issue today and cut through the axel and the axel is still seized in the hub sleeve. New hub adapters and a new axel and I'll be back rolling again soon. Oh well looked like it over to the other thread I go. I'm such a fuckwit!