Observations of mountain biking from the past 30 years

Flow-Rider

Burner
But compared to what? How does it stack up to 10s XTR and XX1? I haven't been impressed with Eagle or 12s Shimano. The ball ache of setting up the derailleurs is a particular irritation.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Chains that only last a few 100ks and cost the same amount as 2 tanks of fuel to get to the trails.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unsanctioned trails, why do people these days put up trail name signs including trail ratings. It is an illegal trail. Who gives a F if it is blue black or green, only that it is a rad trail. If you don’t have the skills to ride that is your problem and also your adventure.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Aren't widely adopted standards a good thing?
That lock pretty much everyone into one product because that's all you can mount on the frame? No thanks. And Shimano aren't exactly a fast moving company on these things.

From the engineering point of view it looks the goods. But I've never had a problem with Shimano, ever, and heard nothing but bad about SRAM.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
That lock pretty much everyone into one product because that's all you can mount on the frame? No thanks. And Shimano aren't exactly a fast moving company on these things.
Not sure I understand what you mean here - I have a UDH hangar and a Deore drivetrain.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But compared to what? How does it stack up to 10s XTR and XX1? I haven't been impressed with Eagle or 12s Shimano. The ball ache of setting up the derailleurs is a particular irritation.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I never had 10s XTR or XX1 - compared to any previous system I have used incl 10 speed Shimano it's clearly better and it isn't even close.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm 100% kool-aid on tubeless, dropper and 1x. I run 34/42 because CBF changing it, if I can't pedal it then it's too steep or I'm too weak or both.

Might get the Wolf Tooth thing and go 46 if I decide I want to ride super steep, or more lunges and Cossack squats.

I also drunk the kool-aid on the new geo big bike 29er but don't have the coin to go there. I think it's less important to quality and reliability of riding than the three I now can't live without.

Had a lovely high note rim ping last ride, snake bite for sure in the old days, just kept riding as we do now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
compared to any previous system I have used incl 10 speed Shimano it's clearly better and it isn't even close
Sram (not gonna lie, hate them) 10 speed was about the best groupset I've ever used. Add to this all their road/ mtb stuff was cross compatible and the 1:1 actuation thing was actually solid. Pity this was pre-1x and that they couldn't make a FD for the life of them!