NS advice.......

frosteee01

Likes Bikes
hey all,
in the next few weeeks i will be building some norths shore stuff and was seeking advice how wide i should make it?????
it will be approx 2 metres off the ground and will be ridden by beginners thorugh to experienced riders. i will be adding see saws and other stuff later on..

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
start off being wide then add some skinny bits later on when you/other riders get the feel of north shore. or build one fat section, then another one next to it with skinny and fat. good luck!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
lean towards overbuilding each section, because there is nothing worse than wobbly and NS ramps that fall apart. Generally the longer it takes to build the longer it will last before needing to be looked at again.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Widths:
1 meter - luxury
50 cm - comfortable
25 cm - pay attention
15 cm - concentrate
<= 10 cm - good luck...

And as Daver said... OVERBUILD. You'll thank yourself later...

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
Make sure you use screws to hold stuff together if you can. They last longer than nails and also don't pull out like nail do.

Build stuff wider at first, you'll need to get your eye in with the skinnies. You can always cut it down later.

Use good timber, building sites have rubbish skips full of wood in all lengths, go dumpster diving. Don't use some log that's been sitting in the bush for years, they'll just snap and cause you grief.
Don't attach structures to living trees either.

Techno was right with the widths, tho' for trials riders it's a little different :)

Widths for trials guys:

Over two tire widths - luxury
two tires widths - comfortable
one tire wide - concentrate
<= one tire - good luck...

Blue Balls

Likes Dirt

Don't use treated pine(the green stuff) or painted wood it is offensive ,poisonus and will therfor get pulled down if found and it gives us all a bad name. Good work keep it up.

Dane

Likes Dirt
most importantly think carefully where its going up. private land (with permission) would be ideal. if not somewhere really out of the way!!!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
mtb_man said:
Techno was right with the widths, tho' for trials riders it's a little different :)
:lol: Yeah, mtb_man is right. My measurements are for "average" mtb'ers. I'm sure there's a lot of members that would laugh at me for having widths at 50cm! But... it is nice to have some fat variety out there from time to time!

mtb_man said:
<= one tire - good luck...
:shock: More like "YIKES!" Imagine more than 3 meters at that width? :shock: Hope it's not too high off the ground....

Mugger

Senir oMermber
I might be building a simple NS track in a trail near my house, its got a perfect area for one so should be good fun.

Just one question (sorry for hi jack mate), To support the wood would you dig a hole in the ground to keep the track steady?

neko

Likes Dirt
Because no one wants to cart bricks into the bush. Just dig a hole, I think 4' is building regulation standard. You know, just in case a building inspector comes to check on you bridges.

Mugger

Senir oMermber
neko said:
Because no one wants to cart bricks into the bush. Just dig a hole, I think 4' is building regulation standard. You know, just in case a building inspector comes to check on you bridges.
Thanks for that information, ill take that into perspective when i build the jumps.

frosteee01

Likes Bikes
thanks for the replys peoples, much appreciated. ive decided to make it 40cm wide to begin with but will prob make it thinner in the future. it will be on private land so no worries about it gettting knocked down. i will be using a mixture of nails and screws so it will be strong as.

also i have seen somewhere, prob on a dvd, northshore going around a tree which looks pretty damn good. does anyone have any pics they can post???? would love to get an idea how to posssibly build this. we have a huge, wide gum tree which we could build it around......

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't build some ladder bridge on a perfectly good piece of track, use it to enhance a section of trail that doesn't work too well as it is, there's nothin worse than coming up to your favourite section of trail to see someone has put some goofy ladder in your way.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jsut a bit of a hi-jack.
If you aren't meant to use treated woods what can you use that won't rot?
I have land available for building and might ONEDAY get into it but it is almost always raining/snowing and even if it isn't the ground is damp.
What wood will not rot in these conditions?