North shore bike racks

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
There's already a couple of threads on the nsr. Awesome rack, had mine for 3 years since I moved to Canada. When I got my rack we spoke to the husband wife team in the north shore asking why they don't have a supplier in Aus, end of the day it comes down to cost. They will ship to Aus but it's not going to be cheap

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
What's the benefit of these over say, a Gripsport rack?

Other than not being able to see out your back window (not that that's a benefit).

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told that some racks, not sure about gripsport, once you put 4 bikes horizontally out the back they extend further than the legal limit for overhang. A NS style rack has less rearward overhang.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I was told that some racks, not sure about gripsport, once you put 4 bikes horizontally out the back they extend further than the legal limit for overhang. A NS style rack has less rearward overhang.
Being designed in Canada I'm not sure what sort of rules they have to abide by when it comes to bike racks. When I got mine deliver to Ontario to drive back over to whistler I thought I'd better ring the local rta, being from Victoria nanny state they want visible licence plates and unobstructed lights, not here.

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
There's already a couple of threads on the nsr. Awesome rack, had mine for 3 years since I moved to Canada. When I got my rack we spoke to the husband wife team in the north shore asking why they don't have a supplier in Aus, end of the day it comes down to cost. They will ship to Aus but it's not going to be cheap
That's good to hear I'm keen on getting to be able to carry 4 bikes, I'll have to get lights for it which isn't an issue and already have a number plate setup for my current gripsport dh rack

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
The biggest issue I can see with this rack design is how the bikes hook on through the fork crown.
In all the years I have been riding some of the worst damage [cosmetic] I have had to my bikes is through poorly thought out racks and shuttling techniques.
To me it looks like you would get wear on the fork crown over the long term or a decent road trip simply through vibration.
I have owned a Grip sport for years now with out any damge to any bike what so ever if initial set up of the rack to suit the bikes is correct.
Once done the rack is loaded in 30 seconds and forgotten about until the destination is reached.

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
The biggest issue I can see with this rack design is how the bikes hook on through the fork crown.
In all the years I have been riding some of the worst damage [cosmetic] I have had to my bikes is through poorly thought out racks and shuttling techniques.
To me it looks like you would get wear on the fork crown over the long term or a decent road trip simply through vibration.
I have owned a Grip sport for years now with out any damge to any bike what so ever if initial set up of the rack to suit the bikes is correct.
Once done the rack is loaded in 30 seconds and forgotten about until the destination is reached.
from what i have read on reviews no one seems to have the issues, with there forks getting scratched.
Gripsport DH rack was good, however cranks get scratched there new design is ok and only takes two bikes would like to be able to carry the four bikes.

So can you confirm the north shore bike rack scratches forks or is that just your opinion?

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I have a 6 bike NS here in Vic for 2 years and it is definitely worth the extra cost. I used to have a grip rack prior to this. Takes 10 seconds to put a bike on and tie it off. It some places we stop its like a tourist attraction people flock and are perplexed by the design:loco: If you shuttle alot it is worth everyone penny for the easy of use. Probably the best investment made besides by a DH bike!

I haven't had troubles from the law in all of my 8 years with racks and no plate/lights haha. The bikes do not cover the lights on my Ranger so a simple number plate on the rack would suffice.

Last edited:

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
I have a 6 rack NS here in Vic for 2 years and it is definitely worth the extra cost. I used to have a grip rack prior to this. Takes 10 seconds to put a bike on and tie it off. It some places we stop its like a tourist attraction people flock and are perplexed by the design:loco: If you shuttle alot it is worth everyone penny for the easy of use. Probably the best investment made besides by a DH bike!

I haven't had troubles from the law in all of my 8 years with racks and no plate/lights haha. The bikes do not cover the lights on my Ranger so a simple number plate on the rack would suffice.
hey mate, glad to see your enjoying it.

yeah we want it for shuttling not he back of our ford ranger, we have light kit and number already just like how these racks hold the bikes.
think i will just order one.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
hey mate, glad to see your enjoying it.

yeah we want it for shuttling not he back of our ford ranger, we have light kit and number already just like how these racks hold the bikes.
think i will just order one.
It is a good safe guard for avoiding a fine. They are a pleasure to deal with. Ask for spare rubbers to go on the prongs too.

mwillis

Likes Bikes
Eoi

EOI- North Shore Style 5 bike racks. I'm looking for people who may be interested in buying a north shore style bike rack (see picture). I have found a local expert who is prepared to make these locally significantly cheaper than the international options ($500-$1000). To offset the cost of the design and prototyping, he needs to several of them. Please let me know if you are interested via text. 0404 157 697.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
It would want to be cheaper than $500. I have made a 6 bike northsore style rack and it cost much less than that even with my time at exy as per hour ..

Where's the picture of what you are proposing to sell