norco shore 3 2010 or giant reign sx 2011

csrides

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, I am currently getting into light downhill/freeride and i was wondering which bike would be best for that type of riding?
Thanks

Luke_Donno

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, I am currently getting into light downhill/freeride and i was wondering which bike would be best for that type of riding?
Thanks
When your putting these questions out there just provide a little more info such as your price range and wether you wanna buy new or used.

Ive got a norco shore 3 2010 but ive bought a lot of new parts for it. The stock bars were midget so i got some wider ones, i also got rid of the granny gear and got a chain guide. Also i have no idea why the bike came with 160mm travel forks when it has 175mm in the rear. But i got some Rockshox Totems for a good price which make the bike ride so much better. Slackened off the Head angle a bit and more travel. The bike looks great and rides awesome and is a good bike to start on then upgrade as you get better.

Bottom line is the norco is a good bike but when you put better components on its an awesome bike. If you get the norco find a set of 180mm travel forks for a good price like Rockshox Domains or Marzochi 66s and get a wide set of bars.
Dont get the reign because as soon as you start doing freeride/light downhill youll get into tougher downhill anyway and the reign is more an all mountain bike.
Also have a look at scott voltages and specialized big hits also great bikes. And also just look at proper dh bikes and used ones in the for sale section.
To some it up get something that has about 180mm travel so when you start proper downhill you wont have to get a new bike.

Hope this helps ill put up a pic of my current setup on this thread later today.

Edit: Here is my current setup IMG057.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont get the reign because as soon as you start doing freeride/light downhill youll get into tougher downhill anyway and the reign is more an all mountain bike.
I dont know about that, a reign could easily take anything you throw at it in Aus. When you compare the stock parts of the two bike the reign shits all over the norco. You wouldn't have to upgrade much on the reign exept maybe tyres and handlebars to your preference. However with that said the Reign is also a lot more expensive.

csrides

Likes Bikes
Thanks alot for the help guys, i can get the norco shore 2010 for $1500 off a friend who has only rode it twice on fire trails, nothing to serious. I was also confused with the 175mm rear and 160mm front travel, changing the forks might be necessary after a month or so riding. A bike shop near me is selling the reign sx for $2000, but it isnt really a dedicated freeride bike, more all mountain, but does have some great components. But yeah, i am doubting its ability on tougher, more full on dh trails. My price range is $2000 max.
Cheers.