norco atomik or ????

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
hey dudes, just asking for some advice on the norco atomik. need some info/advice as to whether it is a decent bike for dh and a tiny bit of freeride (nothing huge). how does it hold up? and also what is the price for one thes days, maybe from 02,03 or 04, im thinking i might get an 03 but would like some background first. if i wasnt to get this bike, are there any others in this price range that u could suggest??

cheers!

benny

Joel333

Likes Bikes
hey man iv got a 03 norco Atomik up for sale now for $1500, its been a awsome bike havnt have any trouble with it at all, but i have to sell now :cry: . iv put a few upgrades on it like blackspire bash and guide, dice pedals, dice smo rear rim and XT rear derailer, it is a nice all round bike good for DJ coz it have nice pop so good preload, but yer just msg me if you wana know any more or want some pics. :)

x00mNorco

Likes Bikes
hey im a atomik man myself. iv got 03 model and its great bike for the price. Problem with atomik is that rear travel is quite small for dh (5.2 inches 03 model and 6 inches 04). I do race my bike and it can often get skippy at the back over faster bumps.

I did bin dj3s as they are not suitable for dh, but they do compliment rear travel perfectly.

I would go for 04 model atomik or 04 model stinky... its your choice.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I rode an 02 Atomik & currently ride an 03 Drop. I changed from Atomik to Drop because the I had a large atomik & it was too big (& i bent the fork steerer). IMO they are great bikes, I have done a whole season of state & club round DH on my drop, as well as 'freeriding', err-ban, very minor DJing & commuting, & it has held up fantastically. The lack of major travel in the rear never really gave me much of a hassle, it bottoms out a bit more on bigger stuff, but i remedied that (kinda) & put a 7" fork on as well.
All in all i say get one unless you want a dedicatewd race bike or a dedicated big huck bike. For an all rounder they are great.

mustard

Likes Dirt
yeh go for the atomik its perfect l want to get one myself
it'll be great for starting from small to going big

D-man

mustard

Likes Dirt

D-man

mustard

Likes Dirt

D-man

Fallsrider

Likes Dirt
Yeah, the Atomic is a good beginer bike, but wait a few months and check out the 05 modle, Norco are going to be oh so much better next year, with changes to most of their bikes, like next years A-Line apparently has this years team DH frame.

I am getting me one a dem! :lol:

MTB_SYCO

Likes Dirt
yeah the aline should have the 04 dh frame, but with the atomik its a mad bike it will be around the $3000 mark and it has an 05 fox vanilla R on the back thats all i know but i think they look mad, if i had that much money i wouldnt have gotten the sassy but im makin it a tank so im happy
anyways hope that helps (bike should be out in 2 or so months apparently)
jv

dugfast

Likes Dirt
peachy said:
woah, double posts i've seen but tripple :lol:
You should have checked out Rexy's quadruple post.

atomiks are decent for the price, and for what youre doing theyd be perfect. It's good to get a semi decent bike to start off with so you can get better quicker, rather than get something shit and your progress being slowed down by it. Go for something like the atomik, and i'd also say check 2nd hand for a decent dh bike, and upgrade when it limits your skills.

roffle

Likes Dirt
Definatly check out the second hand market, you can pick some really good stuff up for alot cheaper. The Atomik is a nice bike for the price though.

brettly

Likes Dirt
What was your price range?..u didnt mention it.

Norco are going to be oh so much better next year, with changes to most of their bikes, like next years A-Line apparently has this years team DH frame.
Tho im not sure of this ...it will probably be the way..,specialized did the same :) ,u would be better off waiting for there new range (i dont know exactly how long,2-3months or so)..there are so many 'cheap' dh's in the trading post and that,bit of a gamble in knowing what they have done with em :? ....but thats what ya get.

cheers.

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
yeh well im actually looking for a decent second hand dh rig. something not expensive most likely on the early 1000's! i saw the post of the 1500 atomik but i havnt got the money yet so i cant exactly say im gonna buy it. but yeh thats my situation at the moment!

thanks for the help!!

cheers, benny.