New XT.

Minlak

custom titis
You realise it's April right?
Except....

Pretty well priced on CRC, very temping for when I require a drivetrain overhaul!
M8000 XT is looking great.

1x cranks with chainring is $140.

The shimano 11-40 cassette is around 100g heavier than the SRAM 10-42. No biggie considering how much cheaper it is I suppose.
$116 for cassette.
New M800 cassette, rear mech and shifter off CRC for $290 total.

Only $30 more than a SRAM X1 cassette on its own!

Hence getting excited's

Minlak

custom titis
Bugger it get cranks too :) just gotta get another PF bb I guess. At least they wont get squeaky swapping them so often.

xt grp.JPG

Chuckles Norris

Likes Dirt
anyone know if raceface/wolftooth or other aftermarket manufacturers will be making 104 bcd 11 speed narrow wide rings?

seriously considering changing my drivetrain but would prefer to keep the ten speed xt cranks!

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know if raceface/wolftooth or other aftermarket manufacturers will be making 104 bcd 11 speed narrow wide rings?

seriously considering changing my drivetrain but would prefer to keep the ten speed xt cranks!
All existing 10 speed NW rings are 11 speed capable. The inner chain link size doesn't change between 10-11 speed. Think of 11 speed as just adding another cog, that's why people have been able to use 10 speed RD's with 11 speed shifters.

And if you ask some on here, even 9 speed chains work.

Chuckles Norris

Likes Dirt
All existing 10 speed NW rings are 11 speed capable. The inner chain link size doesn't change between 10-11 speed. Think of 11 speed as just adding another cog, that's why people have been able to use 10 speed RD's with 11 speed shifters.

And if you ask some on here, even 9 speed chains work.
Awesome! I could never swallow the price tag attached to sram gear!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
amen sister.

for the budget conscious.... Sram GX shifter, GX mech and XT 11 spd cassette comes in under $300.
I find it so much crisper and more precise than Shimano.
This is, of course, the higher spec'd gear. X9 and under then I'd prefer to go Shimano XT.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I find it so much crisper and more precise than Shimano.
This is, of course, the higher spec'd gear. X9 and under then I'd prefer to go Shimano XT.
i also found the ergonomics of it suited me better. my X9 shifters feel natural, whereas my Zee shifter felt like i had dicks for fingers.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Minlak,

You sure you want the 53mm chainline cranks? I thought they were for Boost 148 bikes?....

SummitFever

Eats Squid
That XT 11-42t cassette is bound to be an absolute boat anchor. I know no one want's to admit to the slightest amount of weight-weenie-ism but the 40t weighs 400+g so the 42t might be around the 450g mark. That's a lot of unsprung weight. Other than the simplicity of 1x11, weight wise (and cadence-wise) you get a much more efficient setup with a 2x front (or 3x) and 9 speed 11-32 cassette.

Ivan

Eats Squid
That XT 11-42t cassette is bound to be an absolute boat anchor. I know no one want's to admit to the slightest amount of weight-weenie-ism but the 40t weighs 400+g so the 42t might be around the 450g mark. That's a lot of unsprung weight. Other than the simplicity of 1x11, weight wise (and cadence-wise) you get a much more efficient setup with a 2x front (or 3x) and 9 speed 11-32 cassette.

Zapp-Brannigan-Kif-We-have-a-Conundrum.jpg

To determine what the lightest setup is (with good cadence spacing) it would be necessary to first decide what the ideal range is.