New XC Rig

WILLY

Likes Dirt
Hey, at the moment i have a Jamis Dakota AL, and it is a good bike, however its getting a bit small for me and there are a few bits i'd like to upgrade, so i feel it is time for a new bike.

I will probably stick to Jamis Bikes since one of my lbs (the good one) stocks these awesomely cheap and well specced bikes.
Im basically looking at a bike around 25 pounds, preferably under 30, that is durable, takes any xc, can be raced and will be fast and strong.

I have been looking at the Dragon, the Dakota XC, the Dakar Comp and the Dakar Expert.

My questions are, are duallys the way to go these days?
What does everyone think about duallys vs hardtails?
And out of these bikes, which would be the best performance/ value/ quality?
Righto, thanks guys

john

Likes Bikes
the dragon looks really nice - http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_dragon.html but it could cost a fair bit, i reckon if uve got the cash go for it

the duallies look awesome as well, i'd say if your looking at them go the expert http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_xc_expert.html

i'd say go with a hardtail if you plan to race - they require less maintainence and are pretty durable, also they save a few pounds and accelerate better

all this is not based on any riding though, so dont take it that seriously and mainly find the one that you like best and feels the best

Rik

logged out
I used to sell Jamis. I tell ya what, the Dakota XC is one very very very sexy bike, and it isn't overly expensive either. The Dragon makes me mess my pants, but it's a bit expensive for most. Personally I'd prefer a hardtail for XCish stuff, but the Dakar range of bikes aren't bad for the dollars. I'm yet to ride their XC duallies, but the XLT's go hard (until you break them).
I'd say "steel is real" (hehe :roll: ), buy it, love it, sleep with it, and be happy.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
I'm not a really serious racer, i reckon the dakar expert would be fine for me, but then again, a hardtail would be quicker.
I think the Dragon retails for around $5000, but im sure my lbs could get it to $4000.
The dakota xc goes for over $2000, which is a pretty good buy,but i think i would change the fork and maybe the wheels.
Otherwise, the dakar expert goes for around $3200, but seen for $2600, which is a very good buy, though i'd change tires to pythons.
So yeah, a few nice bikes to think about....

Some people reckon that the rider endures more stress on a hardtail, through injuries to the back later in life, is this just BS?

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
I my opinion, and I know it isn't a Jamis, my NRS accelerates as quickly as any bike on the market and is way faster on a course like Kowen or Majura than any hardtail.

Jaz

Likes Dirt
a buddy of mine always rode a hardtail and last year found out that he had a spine that looked like a toddler had drawn it with crayon (read: twisted, bent, wobbly). The back cracker reccomended a dually and he hasn't had much problem since. unless you are a serious professional who wants to save 3g's by shaving a bit of metal off of his seat post, I would go a dually.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cove Hooker, 4 inches in the rear, light, durable, comes in pimp white.... what else do you need? Or for the true weight weenie, the hard tail handjob xc, 4 pimpalicous colours, including candy red.

http://www.covebike.com

WILLY

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm, perhaps something a bit more xc based?
That is more a dual slalom, dj bike, ive already got a bike for that stuff.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Cove Hustler looks not too bad, I aint to sure if / or when it's coming out, but it sure looks a fine bike. Very NRS looking in a sence, but with the usual Cove traits (i.e Beefie, sloping top tube). I'm not sure on would see this as an XC orientated rig though, looks to be more of "Enduro" or all day epic bike (as the british call it).

Jamis bikes are sexy plain and simple :oops: Kinda wish I got one, but my shopping list is aslong as the titanic was :p So I can talk! Guess it comes down to:

Preposed use VS Needs VS Wants VS Cost VS Value...

Jaz Wrote:
A buddy of mine always rode a hardtail and last year found out that he had a spine that looked like a toddler had drawn it with crayon (read: twisted, bent, wobbly).
This was most likely a defect whist growing as opposed to riding a hardtail, maybe riding made it worse, I aint doubting you. :? I too have have a spine problem, but riding a dualie or hardtail aint going to make that much of a difference... Still Want an XVP though :p

WILLY

Likes Dirt
I'm still not sure whether i'll be going hardtail or duallie, but i've narrowed it down to Jamis and GT bikes, because theyre both from my LBS and theyre both well specced and respectable brands.
I am looking at spending about $2000-$3500, basically something that is pretty light to race but with a bit more emphasis on durability and performance. I'll probably use it for a little bit of racing, but mainly XC riding, trailriding.
So far, my Dakota AL has stood up well, and it has an 80mm fork and is an alu hardtail, so its not like i want to move up to a 5-inch freeride duallie, just something that is along the lines of a durable XC.
My choices so far include the Jamis Dakar Expert, the Dakar Comp, the Jamis Dakota XC (steel frame), the GT Zaskar Pro, the GT IDXC 1 or IDXC 2.
If you've got any recommendations/ experience or knowledge, please reply.
Thanks,
WILLY

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
i'd rather get a really good hardtail than an average dually. plus, it depends on what type of XC u do, primarily racing, get a hardtail, if u do lots of enduros n long distance, maybe the comfort of a dually is for you.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
I'm prepare to take a bit more weight, preferably i want the bike under 28 lbs, the dakar expert is about 26, so it would be a good weight / strength ratio. And with all that propedal crap these days, most duallies will pedal like a hardtail anyway.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
HeHe,
sounds like you may prefer hardtails?
I do too, its just more simplistic, lighter and easier to maintain, but at the moment, while i have a good job and access to money, i was just thinking about trying something new, seeing what the duallies are like.
But hey, keep the comments rolling through.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
my NRS accelerates as quickly as any bike on the market
lol... you know what "NRS" stands for don't you?

"No Rear Suspension"

:wink:

As for the question at hand, I'll give the same advice I always give. Buy the bike that you feel the most comfortable riding. The Jamis are nice bikes, almost bought one myself not so long ago. Now I'd probably go for a Salsa or Yeti frame though.

LN
*expensive taste*

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
LordNikon said:
my NRS accelerates as quickly as any bike on the market
lol... you know what "NRS" stands for don't you?

"No Rear Suspension"
lol... actually haven't heard that one before.

I actually run mine pretty soft so when I am sitting in the seat I get about 5mm of sag. That way it starts to become nice and supple. For trail riding I put a bit more just so it won't bottom out of jumps and stuff which I generally avoid doing while I am racing. Because of the design it is nice and stiff when sprinting/climbing. Sorry for the slight hijack.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
Dakar Expert vs IDXC 1.0

I think i'll definately go dual suspension, to try something new while i have the money.

What do people think of the Jamis Dakar Expert and the GT IDXC 1.0?

They are almost identical spec, except the Jamis has Lockout front and back, and the GT has the new XT crankset while the Jamis has Truvativ Stylo cranks. Also, the GT uses Syncros components and the Jamis goes for Truvativ.

So which bike is the go :?:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would go the Jamis expert, but I would get the shop to change the for to the Float RCL model (expert is RL)... Shouldnt cost too much more, maybe $75 or $100 something like that. Compression ajustment; although it might not seem it is a good thing to have....

GT Looks good, but new design comes new problems; if you were getting a 2005 model I would probably say go GT.

WILLY

Likes Dirt
Yeah, thats true, i cant really comment on the IDXC bikes, but they are a little bit more complex than a 4-bar linkage bike.

I was also thinking, that if i went for the cheaper dakar comp, this would enable me to get the bike a lot quicker than saving up for the expert.
Then i could slowly upgrade as the need arrises, say, new wheels, eventually a new fork etc.
Is this a good idea? Or should i go the whole hog and get the expert first?

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
getting it first WILL be CHEAPER!!! trust me on this one. oh, and i rekcon the XT cranks will probably be a bit nicer than the truvativs, they've had some bad press recently, altho i reckon the stylos look nice. arent they for ss tho?
both would be nice bikes i reckon.
p.s. i've talked to a lot of people who go love the i-drive system, but no one really raves about jamis', maybe it just brand names???