new workstand

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
Here comes the cheap arse in me... but i spotted a bike stand in an ALDI catalogue that goes on sale on the 3rd DEC for 39.95. Looks ok, and to be honest, i have thought about one for ages, but never really wanted to spend that much $ on one. I am going to give this one a go... prob on the cheap size build wise, but i think it'll work ok????

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here comes the cheap arse in me... but i spotted a bike stand in an ALDI catalogue that goes on sale on the 3rd DEC for 39.95. Looks ok, and to be honest, i have thought about one for ages, but never really wanted to spend that much $ on one. I am going to give this one a go... prob on the cheap size build wise, but i think it'll work ok????
beat me to it...

I've got a: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5209 It works well, but I didn't consider kid's bikes when I bought it. It holds the bike really stable, some stands if you push the wheel down the bike moves in the stand. When I bought it the prices was right (120ish) when all the other styles seemed more pricey. Also it folds a bit, but too big for dragging along to events.

If Aldi ones are $40 might lash out for a secondary stand.

Just noticed you have a DH bike, the stand I have works with standard QR to clamp the forks, or rear drop outs. You may need an adaptor if you have other front axle.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In my garage I have a steel pole that supports the floor of the second storey of the house and I have mounted an arm from that at head height which suits me perfectly! I'm taller than you so doing this was way better than a stand that is to low.
Ultimately, you can get away with any stand that will simply stay upright and the arm that comes out enough that you can pedal the bike without it hitting the stand. The mount / jaws that clamp your bike need to be solid enough to hold it but you'll be able to load it with tape or fabric to stop it marking your bike.

taquar

Likes Dirt
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12702

This is the model that I just bought. It's easy as anything to put up, and it's VERY solid, I'm in love with it already... The photo doesn't do it justice. You can rotate the clamp to any angle and adjust the height as much as you would need too. It's also quite stable, pushing it around takes a bit of effort...

Although it's probably nearly double what you want to spend, I would say that it is well worth it. If not the PCS10, look at the PCS9, it's probably just as good. Both of them have VERY good reviews on CRC.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I too have a PCS10.......I don't know how I lived without it. Solid bit of kit, worth spending the extra to be honest.

joshbb

Likes Dirt
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12702

This is the model that I just bought. It's easy as anything to put up, and it's VERY solid, I'm in love with it already... The photo doesn't do it justice. You can rotate the clamp to any angle and adjust the height as much as you would need too. It's also quite stable, pushing it around takes a bit of effort...

Although it's probably nearly double what you want to spend, I would say that it is well worth it. If not the PCS10, look at the PCS9, it's probably just as good. Both of them have VERY good reviews on CRC.
i was looking at the PCS-9 but it looks like the clamping mechanism requires you to turn it like a screw. id much rather the single arm which you push back.
thanks for the replies
keep em coming

Suprez

Likes Dirt
I've got the Park Tool PCS9 workstand and couldn't be happier with it for the price. Easy to use and very solid feel to it. Having to wind the clamp down is a non issue really, takes all of 2 seconds and it screws around with complete ease. Literally spin it around with one finger and just slight bit of tension at the end will hold your bike for eternity.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
that's not cheap... I'll give you cheap

I've got cheap...
$0 --> the old car bike beak in the bench vice

been workin' OK for the last couple of years for a family of mounties and roadies,
very solid, not sure if your DH bike has a toptube that'll fit a bike beak.

Only problem for me is that it takes out the use of the workbench,
I'll probably bolt a bracket to the wall as I need to store it somewhere
anyway.

I've also used my thule sidearm rack on the floor.

- carpetrunner

leadz

Likes Bikes
Aldi

Hey all.

I have an ALDI bike stand for a year now and use it all the time!! its strong a nuff to handle my freeride rig

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive tried a few cheapies over time. They are only just ok, but found werent the best for heavy DH bikes.

Eventually, they gave me the irrats and I lashed out and got a GRIP Sport one.

The difference is like night and day. Expensive, but worth every penny (if you can afford it).

joshbb

Likes Dirt
the grip sport stands do look sturdy, but i dont have 438 bones to spend on a stand. i might go with the PCS-9...