New wheelset

Im looking at getting a new wheelset for my Trek Slash 650B

I am a fairly aggressive rider and do a fair bit of drops and jumps with rider weight around 93kgs + pack at times. I would like something 25mm to 28mm internal rim width thats alloy 32H and preferably stiff and strong.

Front hub 15mm rear 142x12 thru 6 bolt I am looking at options of complete wheelsets or getting one built with hope hubs.

I was looking at getting flows/hopes but they dont have them anymore anywhere so instead of getting some made up what other alternatives are there? Has anybody used sites like wheelbuilder.com or recommend any sites that build wheels or supply rims/hubs that i can get made up here. I have been looking at DT swiss rims also but cant find many that do a freeride/enduro/DH type rim.

I dont run tubeless and would double butted spokes be better suited then plain gauge?

Budget is preferably kept up to $1000AUD

Last edited:

moman

Likes Dirt
Have you looked at the chain reaction custom wheel builds? I priced some 29er wtb i25s (25mm internal width) with hope pro 2 hubs and xd driver for $570 delivered!

Other rims to choose from too but that looks like a stinking deal for hand built alloy wheels.

I have but its the rim choice in 27.5/650b that has me unsure of what is strong and durable and in that size your options tend to be more limited.. i have read a few mixed reviews which turns your thoughts into a big soup

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is weight going to be a big concern? If not have a look at some 650b dh rims. Should match your aggressive ride style.

I've had plenty of wheels built by CRC. They have done me well. I haven't done it for a while but they used to build any matching rim/hub/spoke combo, without using the custom wheel builder. You just just needed to make a note of it in the instructions section of the order. It was free if you were happy with machine built.

I am not overly fussed with getting super light rims or any weight weenie parts but crc have a very limited range over 25mm in the size i need. They have the easton arc which i cant find any feedback besides previews on. The i25 looks similar to flows but isnt welded and there are the 24.5 ID spank oozy 295 which i have considered but dont know the strength.

CRC also dont do dt swiss rim options which i like the look of ex471 and fr570 but cant find alot of other sites that stock them.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
have you considered reusing your hubs ?
it may or may not save some coin, and then buy some rims...
syntace w30/35's or even the w40's...
spank oozey ?
I'm also looking around for a set for my ride and liking the look
of the syntace w series.

...G...

Likes Bikes
+ 1 for the Syntace wheels

I've got a set of the Syntace W35MX wheels - they're very good. Amazingly quick hub engagement. Strong rims. 30mm internal; 35 mm external width. Hub is a bit on the loud side - makes the old Hope Pro 2s sound quiet:

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2436

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2412

I've used Gorilla tape to turn mine into tubeless set up. It works perfectly and I've had zero problems with around 2 years use.

Available in Australia through http://www.eightyonespices.com.au

markgab

Likes Dirt
Not sure about deemax, but they seem robust.
If not spread the budget alittle more say $1200 and get kings with flow or i25, you won't regret!
If you wanna spend alittle less, hope 40t engagement.