New to DH. Bikes?

Hi all farkiners,
i am new to downhill, i decided to get into it when i rode my friends big hit. Man that thing was a tank compared to my trail bike hardtail. So yeah i am interested in buying a DH bike, but due to the high cost of the new DH bikes i decided to buy one of a farkiner. Well i am waffling on but i am 14 years old, 170cm tall and 65kg. What brand, model of bike do you think i should look for?

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
Welcome Harry. As for what bike do a search and see what you find, but basically any dh specific (geometry) bike. Have a look at a second hand giant glory or maybe a kona stab, have a look, do some research, go to your LBS (local bike shop) sit, feel, and check what frame size is for you, I'd say a small if your going to keep it for only a year or so and a med if your going to keep it for longer. search, read, ask questions.
Have fun

bighitben

Likes Dirt
Hey Harry, i'd probabally suggest looking at a 2nd hand Norco Atomik for DH, but if you want a bit more variety (like freeride) then probabally look at a Specialized Bighit (i have one :p). Or like mentioned above try a second hand Giant Glory DH1 they are great value brand new, let alone 2nd hand.

And like said by bethextrem1 go to your local bike shop (or a bike shop in the area if you closest one doesnt have a DH range) and have a little test ride of certain bikes and feel what suits you or you feel comfortable on.

Good luck

cfk

Likes Bikes
if you buy newbike,make sure you get the right spring rate on your shock,many shops dont seem to care,if you buy second hand bike,you might have to change spring yourself.medium bike should be the size for you.

lbroy

Likes Dirt
Hey Harry, i'd probabally suggest looking at a 2nd hand Norco Atomik for DH, but if you want a bit more variety (like freeride) then probabally look at a Specialized Bighit (i have one :p). Or like mentioned above try a second hand Giant Glory DH1 they are great value brand new, let alone 2nd hand.

And like said by bethextrem1 go to your local bike shop (or a bike shop in the area if you closest one doesnt have a DH range) and have a little test ride of certain bikes and feel what suits you or you feel comfortable on.

Good luck
yer i agree, but the atomik is an all round bike like the bighit, just with more travel, and seen as it has got tripple's it is better for dh than a bighit (unless you but tripples on the bighit) look around for a second hand (or new) norco atomik, my dad has one and ive used it to do dh, and its really great, and also since it has a shorter wheel base it allows you to do some more full on freeride, but if your not fast, the shorter wheel base also allows you to go slow over things and still keep good balance and be able to pull up on drops , jumps etc.

I'm 14 to and i ride an ironhorse Sunday, which let me say is FUCKING AWESOME for dh, and still does quite well on freeride stuff (not as good as an atomik at freeride though), so if you can some how afford one of them you'll love it.

the atomik is a sick bike, and you most likely wont regret it.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
i was looking at an iron horse yakuza i think it was. Is that a good bike. THe sunday series is kina pushing the imits of my price range. And also most of them are in sydney.

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
dh1s are a good price and ride as good as most without the high end price tag ,you need atleast 8 or more inches of decent suspension front and rear to get the most out of downhilling or you ll out grow the bikes ability fast only downside is if your 95kg plus the forks wont last. upgrade them or pay $2200 more for the dho with more bling to trash also second hand bikes are a risky buy not saying all are ridden hard but most are .The more experienced or heavier the rider the better equipment is needed or you ll be upgrading reguarly if your keen spend it know instead of twice as much in upgrades over the next few years:confused::D

cameron_15

Eats Squid
At 14 years old what is your limit?

A second hand norco Atomik would be sweet. they are really good value bikes for the price. You should be able to buy one new for >$2,000. also don't be afraid to look at the Giant DH comp or Team stuff, however i'd probably go for a glory DH0 or glory DH1 purely because they still make them.

Good Luck!