New to clipless

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
So I picked up a pair of M545 pedals and shimano dx shoes second hand for a bargain. I had never ridden clipless before now. I've found that the cleat positioning (how they came) feels good for xc and riding around but it feels like I'm a bit "on my toes" when riding downhill. I'm switching the pedals between an Enduro and Demo.

Should I go to an in-between position or should I change the position depending on what I ride?

Cheers

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Little bit personal, I prefer to put the cleats as far back towards the arch as possible, it just feels better to me. Perhaps not as efficient as more onto the forefoot, but a lot better for jumping and technical sections.

Move them around a bit, see what you like.

teK--

Eats Squid
Little bit personal, I prefer to put the cleats as far back towards the arch as possible, it just feels better to me. Perhaps not as efficient as more onto the forefoot, but a lot better for jumping and technical sections.

This.

10 chars

T-Rex

Template denier

+2

I use the same cleat postion for DH, XC and road. As far rearward as possible. Mind you, I'm not a threat to either Sam Hill or Cadel Evans, but it feels comfortable to me.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting cleat positioning nailed is a fucking serious black art..

My suggestion is to carry your multi tool and go ride and make small changes as you need to.

camoshop

Banned
I'm pretty new to them my self took me a couple of rides to get them right..
As suggested take a multi tool with you. Mine feel spot on now screwed into the top holes with te clip plates all the way down ..

Also you might want to adjust the springs on the pedals too I found mine were way to tight and I had a couple of spills.

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
Cool I'll try a few different positions and see what works. I think the cleats are pretty far forward cause old mate was using them for racing bmx.

Jettn

Squid
Also get yourself some multi release cleats they have an M on the bottom of the cleat you can pick them up from most places for around 20 bucks and you can unclip any way you want unlike the single ones that if you have to get out fast you can't and go down with the bike which i have done before i got my multi cleats.

ChopSticks

Banned
Also get yourself some multi release cleats they have an M on the bottom of the cleat you can pick them up from most places for around 20 bucks and you can unclip any way you want unlike the single ones that if you have to get out fast you can't and go down with the bike which i have done before i got my multi cleats.
Re: SPD cleats

the black ones (90% of what people use) are the non float/ non multi release. if multi release ones are what youre after... then look for the silver ones (just easier to differentiate by colour)

camoshop

Banned

the black ones (90% of what people use) are the non float/ non multi release. if multi release ones are what youre after... then look for the silver ones (just easier to differentiate by colour)
Mine are silver, are they multi release ? They have an sm on the bottom ??

ChopSticks

Banned
Mine are silver, are they multi release ? They have an sm on the bottom ??
easiest way is to check the model no.

one problem is... they might be dirty/worn from walking.... so best you check the sides of the cleat for the true colour

Black SH51/2 is single release (ie heel outwards)
Silver SH56 is multi (roll foot in any direction to release) how that translates to the trail im not sure....

Last edited:

camoshop

Banned
Mine clip out if I lift the heal up and across or just twist my foot sideways in either direction, they're silver on the sides too..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Non float & single-release are quite different things. Float is the little bit of lateral rotation you have before starting to release from the pedal. Both types of SPD cleats have float. Only road cleats offer a zero float option.

ChopSticks

Banned
Non float & single-release are quite different things. Float is the little bit of lateral rotation you have before starting to release from the pedal. Both types of SPD cleats have float. Only road cleats offer a zero float option.
thanks Ducky !!
always the brains of this site !

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm pretty new to them my self took me a couple of rides to get them right..
As suggested take a multi tool with you. Mine feel spot on now screwed into the top holes with te clip plates all the way down ..

Also you might want to adjust the springs on the pedals too I found mine were way to tight and I had a couple of spills.
Don't be afraid to play with rotating the cleats slightly. Most people's feet point outward to some extent, so the cleats need to set to suit. Having your feet pointing straight fore & aft when it's not their natural angle will irritate your knees.

camoshop

Banned
Don't be afraid to play with rotating the cleats slightly. Most people's feet point outward to some extent, so the cleats need to set to suit. Having your feet pointing straight fore & aft when it's not their natural angle will irritate your knees.
Cheers mate, I'll try that and see how it feels my knees have been aching a bit since going clipless