New to Clipless Pedels

Aman

Likes Bikes
I'm getting a per of Shimano 151's for about $80.

I'm just wondering if you can go down hill with them cliped out without slipping of the pedels. I go down real steep gravel trails were I'll constantly sliding out so I need my feet uncliped.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically, your either clipped in or out, theres no in between.

Riding downhill with clipless without being clipped in is a disaster waiting to happen!

If your contsantly doing steep, gravely decents, perhaps you should invest in some good flat top pedals?

Cheers!
Josh

Rik

logged out
Are these the pedals with the outside cages?

You can ride them unclipped, but it's not much fun as there's bugger all traction on them. The best thing to do is avoid the slippery stuff for now, wait until you hone your clip-out skills, then hit the dirt.
Let's face it, you're going to crash a few times whilst learning clipless, so make sure those crashes happen on a soft grassy surface. So practise in a park for a bit, then when you go offroad it should almost be 2nd nature.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've been riding clipless for so long that i can't ride flats anymore :(
how sad is that?
on the plus side, i now don't even think about cliping in or out during any ride.
if i slide, my foot goes down, no problem, and it clip[s back in without even thinking.
some pedals are better than others, and i don't run mine mega tight.
bit of practise and you'll be fine.
but in general, dn't bother trying to ride clipped out unless you are running the new eggbeater cages or something.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can? Bugger me, I must really suck. I have no idea how u ride with clipless pedals without being clipped in (proper clipless, not the ones with the outside cage). How do you stand up on the pedals?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've got a set of wellgo DX copies.
they are pretty good for if you can't get clipped in straight away. fairly large area to balance precariously on while screaming abuse at the shoe :)

Rik

logged out
josh said:
How do you stand up on the pedals?
You have to slide your foot forward to the area underneath the arch of your foot is the part that supports the weight. Trying to stand up with the cleat sitting on the pedal is a recipe for disaster, you'll slip straight off!

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But really, there is no way to do it confidently. I wouldnt feel confident standing like that bombing down a steep gravely section. Again, i suck tho :)

Rik

logged out
Nah, it's silliness... you get clipless, you stay clipped in. You want a bit more control, you get flats.
Choose one, don't try and compromise.

toodles

Wheel size expert
josh said:
You can? Bugger me, I must really suck. I have no idea how u ride with clipless pedals without being clipped in (proper clipless, not the ones with the outside cage). How do you stand up on the pedals?
I had to do a race run once with standard shoes on Shimano DX pedals because I broke a cleat (yeah weird). It wasn't the best but it was ok. I'm a bit used to it because I'm forever riding my DH bike in my street shoes around the park because I'm too lazy to change my shoes every time I go for a ride.

Keith

Squid
Get some of the silicon lube spray for the clips and have them set fairly loose and your feet will come out really easy. Then practice on some small hills before attempting the big ones. Have feet unclipped is just asking for trouble.

spudz

Likes Dirt
hey what are the 151 pedals havent seen them do they have a cage around them, I have two pairs of the shimano PD-324 pedals these have a clip in on one side and a flat pedal on the other side, the best of both worlds.
I found them excellent when learning as when i came to a hard section i would ride the flat pedal so i could get my feet down if something went wrong.The best part about learning to unclip is falling over while still clipped in this always seems to give ya friends a laugh.

naz

Criminally Inane
flats!!! esp those new truvativ pedal the pins are smaller and gripper, so u can extract more flesh if u slip off the pedal which i doubt would happen....
but i must say clips are good for DH just take along to adapt to and stackin hurts more coz half the time u forrget to unclip and when u fall ur bike is attached to u....have fun!

Aman

Likes Bikes
I keep getting the name mixed up, the pedels I'm getting are PD-M515 not 151's.

I'm getting them today so from what it sound's like I might have to practice on the grass before I hit the grevel tracks.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you'll be fine. just start with them really loose, and do them up a little each ride. within a week you won't even notice you're using them.
remember to clean and lube them every now and then as well. just a little lube on the springs and pivots to keep them nice.