New to 4x need to change my bike

MacNamara22

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I am going to race the rest of the super series in 4x. The only problem that I have is that I only have my brothers bike to work with, which is a stock 08 norco ride (but the rear shifter isn't working that well).
I was just wondering if any of you out there have any good ideas to help me get the bike race ready. I have a budget of about $300 but I am not so sure what is most important in 4x. If any one can help that would be awesome

Nick

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Read the Forum rules - try some grammar and spelling.

Why do children think SMS speak is acceptable???:rolleyes:

k_d

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I am going to race the rest of the super series in 4x. The only problem that I have is that I only have my brothers bike to work with, which is a stock 08 norco ride (but the rear shifter isn't working that well).
I was just wondering if any of you out there have any good ideas to help me get the bike race ready. I have a budget of about $300 but I am not so sure what is most important in 4x. If any one can help that would be awesome

Nick
Fixed...

To start off with, fix the shifter. That should be your main priority. Then get a road bike cassette (with close ratios). Once that Is done (I am assuming that it is single ring on the front with a chainguide), get some good tyres. From the specs that I found on BikePedia, it currently has Kenda K-Rads. I run a Specialized Captain on the front, and either another Captain or a Fast track on the rear (depending on the track). From memory these are rougly $40 an end, possibly even cheaper now.

Leave getting new forks or cranks out, until you are sure that you intend to keep racing. At this stage, just try and get your skills up, instead of spending lots of money, and not having much skill.

Kyle

MacNamara22

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that and i will fix the top section

I am freeking out, i swear i didnt write that to start out. I will definatly change my password now!

sorry for any inconvenience!

Last edited:

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few things, a bit of a drive train upgrade.
Fix your shifter... also cant go wrong with a strong/light chain and a small block cassette for better/closer shifts under power

Shimano Dura ace chain - $60ish
Shimano Tiagra Cassette (11-23 or something like that) - $40ish

and then just some good tyres
Id recommend like a single ply high roller or minion front (2.35) and a larsen tt rear (2.0).

All up this should be pretty close to the 300 dollars.
With all your upgrades, don't bother doing it for the sake of "bling" or that. Think budget, strength and what will this do for me/my racing. Dear stuff might be good, but remember that you'll probably end up braking stuff a fair bit too, so cheaper (but still good) stuff can save you in the long run.

chillywilly

Likes Dirt
Read the Forum rules - try some grammar and spelling.

Why do children think SMS speak is acceptable???:rolleyes:
I believe that help is required, not ridicule.

Help: I suggest you get a short cage rear-mech and a close ratio cluster, and possible new tyers.

That should be around $300 for all the mid-top spec stuff.