New rear wheel - Mavic EX830 vs EX729 vs ??????

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I am looking to build up a spare back wheel for heavier duties. It is for the 10% of trails that is trashing the Giant PTRX-1C on the back of my Trance. The rim is holding up OK but the rock gouges etc. are hurting my feelings. I would rather keep the carbon wheels for duties that don't involve the really rocky stuff. That way I can run a more XC rear tyre on the Giant's and a more descending specific tyre on the new wheel.

Wheel will likely be

Hope Pro 4 142x12mm 32H with Shimano Freehub (maybe orange but likely black)
Black DT Swiss Champion Spokes
Black Alloy Nipples (cause you know weight and stuff.....)
a 27.5 RIM.
Tubeless
Maxxis TBD.

Anyone had experience with the mentioned rims? I have had nothing but great experiences with Mavic for years on DH, DJ, XC and Road builds so am keen to stick with them. Also had no problems running Sun on DH, DJ and BMX so figure they could be ok too.

Not looking for a stupid heavy rim, just a rim that isn't mega $$$$ to replace if I toast it. I am leaning towards the lighter EX830 (575g) compared to the 710g EX729. Historically I have always been pretty light on wheels too.

Any other recommendations?

Oh there will be a matching front at some point too but I might need to sell some other wheels to get that past the keeper.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out the Stans Flow MK3. Similar width to the new wider 729s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I've ridden the 26" versions of all Mavic's heavier duty range (ex721, ex729, ex823 Deemax Ultimate). The 830 is tubeless out of the box which is a plus. It's my least favourite however; I've blown eyelets, killing otherwise fine rims.

effarr

Likes Dirt
DT Swiss XM481 or EX471? I'm running the XM481's at the moment (30mm internal, around 500g rim) on my Banshee Rune and they've been great so far.

471 will be a bit tougher (same weight, 25mm internal). Easy enough to source I think.

Leon

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If youre looking for something tough for rockier hard hitting DH/Enduro stuff, my advice is not to go too wide.
Wide rims cop a beating in rocky terrain .....

25mm ish internal would be the go for me. Leave the 30mm stuff for your trail riding.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions. Stans arch mk3 look like an ok wheelset with 26mm internal and very reasonable weight. My wife's crests are great so far.

Might look to sell off the stock deore/alexrim wheelset from my wifes bike and make a set of arch the 'other wheelset'. Or just take the current spare rear and wreck it and then replace with a good set later in the year.....risk is I root the alexrim wheel in one outing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've ridden the 26" versions of all Mavic's heavier duty range (ex721, ex729, ex823 Deemax Ultimate). The 830 is tubeless out of the box which is a plus. It's my least favourite however; I've blown eyelets, killing otherwise fine rims.
I severely dinged an ex729 on a tree root without really trying. I've seen the ex823 get dinged up fairly easy as well. I've had really good fortune with the 26inch dh rims from Sunn (mtx33 and 39) and DT Swiss (fr600 and ex500). They've survive a lot of abusive riding. If I was after a rim for rocky rides, Sunn would be my go to unless I felt rich enough for DT Swiss.

Sadly for Stan, I've only ever seen his wheels fail in lame efforts.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just bought a pair of EX729s laced to Hope Pro 4s for my Devinci Spartan and I love them, I haven't even got them set up tubeless at the moment, bit they feel great and feel strong.