New Pike - strange behaviour

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Recently got a new Pike dual position and have been trying to get it set up correctly over the last few rides with not a lot of success. Put this down to coming from an evolution damper on the last fork so having a lot more options to adjust but was starting to wonder if the Pike's were worth all the hype.

First of all I had to put way more pressure in than the recommended settings. Like 50% more to get to the right sag. No big drama just seemed strange. Used two different shock pumps to confirm it as well. Then just couldn't get them to feel right. Small bump stuff was ok but then I'd blow through the rest of the travel before a ridiculous ramp for the last 20/30mm

This weekend I decided to try something different and drop the pressure and increase the LSC. Hooked up the shock pump and when I did it seemed to have lost around 50/60psi. After a bit of head scratching pumped it up to the recommended psi and sag was perfect. Went for a ride and it felt like a different fork.

Almost as though something was stuck or held up inside. Really my only concern is that ta something that could happen again so keen to get to the bottom of it.

Any ideas?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Recently got a new Pike dual position and have been trying to get it set up correctly over the last few rides with not a lot of success. Put this down to coming from an evolution damper on the last fork so having a lot more options to adjust but was starting to wonder if the Pike's were worth all the hype.

First of all I had to put way more pressure in than the recommended settings. Like 50% more to get to the right sag. No big drama just seemed strange. Used two different shock pumps to confirm it as well. Then just couldn't get them to feel right. Small bump stuff was ok but then I'd blow through the rest of the travel before a ridiculous ramp for the last 20/30mm

This weekend I decided to try something different and drop the pressure and increase the LSC. Hooked up the shock pump and when I did it seemed to have lost around 50/60psi. After a bit of head scratching pumped it up to the recommended psi and sag was perfect. Went for a ride and it felt like a different fork.

Almost as though something was stuck or held up inside. Really my only concern is that ta something that could happen again so keen to get to the bottom of it.

Any ideas?
Try burping the seals.

StuartO

Likes Bikes
It sounds like your negative air chamber holes were clogged. That would explain the harsh feeling. I have not had this problem. The fork rides really nice and i am only slightly above recommended pressures but i do use a bottomless token to stop bottoming. Yes you can use them.

So what pressure did you use? Like 150psi or something?
Im 82kg and use 95psi.
Much higher then the solo air forks.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty much the same weight geared up and I'm running 105psi now. Before though I think I was up to about 140.
The theory of the negative chamber blockage could be right. If it cleared it would explain the drop in internal pressure (I think)

I didn't know that about the seal pressure build up. Don't think it's the issue I had as I was having to increase pressure not drop it. But will try burping anyway.

Hopefully whatever it was is now gone