New Lyrik opinions?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Looking into a new 160mm fork, and am considering the new Lyrik. At 150 grams heavier than a pike, but with increased stiffness and reportedly better small bump sensitivity over the pike but with otherwise almost identical performance it seems like a pretty good package for trail duties. I'm sure they bomb well, but does anyone have experience with them on longer, trail oriented rides? Climbing? The penalties in this regard on paper seem almost negligible, what's the reality? Cheers!

stoo

Likes Dirt
My 180 Lyrics feel just like my 160 Pikes, they're both just bonza.
I'd have to try them back to back on the same bike to really know though.
If you only want 160mm I'd save the weight and money and go with Pikes!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hey stoo, they're the same price.. I'm not worried about the weight so much. It's more about the trade-off between riding the epic at Buller vs riding international. This will be a one do it all bike.

Last edited:

Three

Likes Bikes
If you're worried about climbing, the Lyrik has a dual position option. Drop it down by 30mm for climbs and open it up to full travel for bombing down.

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
Hey stoo, they're the same price.. I'm not worried about the weight so much. It's more about the trade-off between riding the epic at Buller vs riding international. This will be a one do it all bike.
Hey J-Dad, I had slightly older (2014) 160mm Lyrik's on my Nukeproof Mega and used them at Buller (International, ABOM, Copperhead), Mt Stromlo and Lysterfield Lake (e.g a good mix of up and down trails) and struggled with the 160mm travel for full-blown DH runs. Found I needed more front end ride height and travel (probably because of my lanky monkey arms and 6'2" height) but as soon as I put the 180mm Totem's on, I was like - :Banane16:

I found the downs sooo much better and the ups not much different - rode almost every DH run at Queenstown (as well as XC), Lysterfield, Buller again, Youies etc and the bike was as good as a do-all as I could have asked for! My (long) point is that I found 180mm much, much better for a do everything fork (I mean full-blown DH everything). Hope that confuses you more haha!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have them on my Range (170mm) solo air. I've ridden International and Epic on them and found they did the job admirably on both. My last bike had 160mm pikes and although the margin is small I rate the Lyrics as a better fork. Being on the large size I find the lyric seems to behave better in rocks and on the brakes etc, anywhere flex becomes a factor. Climbing I don't notice any difference in the forks.
Running my Lyric with a bit more sag than I did with the pike, this combined with the bigger negative air chamber the do feel more compliant. No complaints about weight.
My fork was OEM, if I was buying I might be tempted to try the latest Fox 36 though.

Markee

Likes Dirt
If you're worried about climbing, the Lyrik has a dual position option. Drop it down by 30mm for climbs and open it up to full travel for bombing down.

I've got exactly this, 180/150mm Dual Position. It rides great at 150 as a trail bike and still handles everything on a trail ride, Flick the switch and I've got a mini DH bike which is awesome!
I came from 160fr 140rr on the Trek Remedy so a little wandering during climbs does not bother me.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
I have been running lyrik for awhile on trail bike . Awsome forks , i got them 170 mm and run bit more sag .
Saved me many times point shoot .cant go wrong .highly recommended.
Ive run fox 34,36, old model lyrik .

dunndog

Eats Squid
I've got exactly this, 180/150mm Dual Position. It rides great at 150 as a trail bike and still handles everything on a trail ride, Flick the switch and I've got a mini DH bike which is awesome!
I came from 160fr 140rr on the Trek Remedy so a little wandering during climbs does not bother me.
Is there any compromise in damping on the dual position lyrik compared to the solo air like there reportedly is with the pike?

moorey

call me Mia
Is there any compromise in damping on the dual position lyrik compared to the solo air like there reportedly is with the pike?
Can't comment on the lyrik, but having both types of pikes, I have to say I think that report is shite.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Really Moorey? Can't say myself as I've never ridden a dual position pike, but I have been told that by various sources.. You obviously find it negligible or non existent?

moorey

call me Mia
Really Moorey? Can't say myself as I've never ridden a dual position pike, but I have been told that by various sources.. You obviously find it negligible or non existent?
Personally, non existent. I'm sure it's preconceived for most people. They're told it feels different, so feel it. My 2 c

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Personally, non existent. I'm sure it's preconceived for most people. They're told it feels different, so feel it. My 2 c
Would you say similar across other dual position or adjustable travel forks you've tried too? I've ran a few (like only 3 or 4) adjustable forks and never really noticed anything negative with dampening (or other aspects of performance).

moorey

call me Mia
Would you say similar across other dual position or adjustable travel forks you've tried too? I've ran a few (like only 3 or 4) adjustable forks and never really noticed anything negative with dampening (or other aspects of performance).
Never ran a talas for any great time, but I'm not a fox fan anyway. Had older lyrik 2 step (and regular), and while the travel adjust gave people some issues, fork felt great. Had manitou Nixon in both, felt fine. Never run a marzocchi travel adjust.

I'm not saying there's no difference whatsoever, but I can feel anything, and happily bought a second set of new DPA....and will happily buy again.
dundog, if you're over this way, happy to let you feel both to compare yourself.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New Lyric has a larger negative air chamber then the pike, it should have better small bump compliance. The dual position doesn't have the larger negative air chamber. Whether or not you can notice the difference I don't know.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Never ran a talas for any great time, but I'm not a fox fan anyway. Had older lyrik 2 step (and regular), and while the travel adjust gave people some issues, fork felt great. Had manitou Nixon in both, felt fine. Never run a marzocchi travel adjust.
I've had fox, Marz, and RS adjustable forks. I notice a change in overall performance on my pivot when I change the travel from 120-160mm, but I believe that is more to do with frame geometry than the fork.

big dan

Likes Dirt
I've run a 160 lyrik on a bronson since last november, rides great and have not noticed it on the climbs at all. For an extra 150 grams i think it is a no brainer.

moorey

call me Mia
I've had fox, Marz, and RS adjustable forks. I notice a change in overall performance on my pivot when I change the travel from 120-160mm, but I believe that is more to do with frame geometry than the fork.
There may well be reduced fork performance at the reduced travel, I'm not qualified to comment, as I don't tend to drop them, and really haven't ridden them in anger dropped. Yes, when dropped, it's definitely going to affect geo and handling though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There may well be reduced fork performance at the reduced travel, I'm not qualified to comment, as I don't tend to drop them, and really haven't ridden them in anger dropped. Yes, when dropped, it's definitely going to affect geo and handling though.
I tend to only ride angry.