New fork: Giant irritating Overdrive 2 compatibility??

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey folks.

I want to try a pike on my Trance SX with its wonderful OD2 steerer.
Is it just a case of running a standard tapered steerer fork and then getting a different lower headset bearing??

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey folks.

I want to try a pike on my Trance SX with its wonderful OD2 steerer.
Is it just a case of running a standard tapered steerer fork and then getting a different lower headset bearing??
Bottom headset bearing is the same as standard tapered....1.5"

Its the top bearing that different i OD2... running a non standard 1.25" instead of 1.125"

DJR

Likes Dirt
So i have done this. Had OD2 fork, purchased new cane creek top bearing + cups (cane creek is one of the few brands you can just get a top from, and they have a good finder tool on their website). Popped the old headset out and installed the new one, fit up new 1 1/8 -> 1.5 taper fork. Left the bottom cup in and just swapped the crown race over to the new fork. Not that much of a hassle really but it looks like Giant have finally ditched OD2 in 2015 bikes.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Like others have said just the top needs to be done. What are your plans for your old fox forks?

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I got a whole new headset.

Chris King Inset 2.

But like everyone else said, you only need to change the top cup if you don't want to spend all the $$ on a whole new headset.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah yes the damn Stem. Oh well at least i can get something a bit more bling than my Giant od2 60mm now.
Thanks folks!

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like others have said just the top needs to be done. What are your plans for your old fox forks?
They will be ending up in the FOR SALE section here haha.

They are the 2014 (15 spec talas system and damper) Kashima 160mm --> 140mm CTD Fit.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
measure first, before you go buy a new stem and bearing etc.
For some reason there are OD2 marked bikes in 2014 that are actually standard tapered. Worth a look (and report back)\

Hint - if you use google search (scope:this site) you can search for terms like OD2 - the search on here has a minimum of 4 characters.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh joy.... haha.
That would be my luck. go and buy all the required bits and then find i had one of the mysterious not so OD2 bikes.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Lol id be interested in it aswell for my trance 1. Shoulda got the sx in the first place I think

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
measure first, before you go buy a new stem and bearing etc.
For some reason there are OD2 marked bikes in 2014 that are actually standard tapered. Worth a look (and report back)\

Hint - if you use google search (scope:this site) you can search for terms like OD2 - the search on here has a minimum of 4 characters.
Yep, most of the 2014 Trances that came with Rockshox fork have a standard taper fork and OD2 stem with a shim.