New fork for on one 456

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Hi guys. Just got crappy news that my much loved 2007 pike 454 ( I think) 26 inch 20 mm axle fork are going to be, according to sram a really expensive fix. Problems with both the positive and negative air springs ambushing issue and a lack of parts for old forks means I'm thinking new. This is my ride with the kids and extra bike for mates etc bike. But I at a loss as to what to fit. All the parts on this bike came off my old teocali and the frame only owes me a hundred bucks so is a pro level fork a big waste? Any suggestions on what you guys feel would be appropriate. Crc have manitou circus for low $300s. My issue is I've only just started on the modification path so a bit clueless on what to actually upgrade with. Please help.

moorey

call me Mia
If you can find a set, 20mm, straight steerer revs. Ton lighter, adjustable from 110-150mm, super plush. No, you can't have these though.
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/moorey1971/media/F80E00A4-B0BB-4A97-B3F3-889E377A1DCE_zps1louujxv.jpg.html

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
If you aren't worried about weight X-Fusion Vengeance forks pop up on here for around $300, actually, not sure I've seen many straight steerer ones though. Maybe look for a used Marzocchi 55?

A heavy fork on the front of a 456 is probably a benefit, they are so hard to keep the front down on climbs.

moorey

call me Mia
If you aren't worried about weight X-Fusion Vengeance forks pop up on here for around $300, actually, not sure I've seen many straight steerer ones though. Maybe look for a used Marzocchi 55?

A heavy fork on the front of a 456 is probably a benefit, they are so hard to keep the front down on climbs.
Can't say I've ever seen a straight steerer xfusion. Lyriks are the way to go. They were all 20mm axle.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Hmmm, will have to check with a friend, he has some 2012-13 Lyriks that would be offloaded(also in Newcastle) for next to nothing, God they were shit but I can't remember if they were straight steerer or not.
I changed them to solo air after RS replaced the damper under warranty and they were still horrible, took the dog's ears off the bushings, still shit so they got swapped out for a second hand X-Fusion and he's had no issue since, just ordered another for his new bike. I'm trying to slowly convert the RS loyalists :evil:

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the help guys. This is bloody confusing. I hate having outdated standards. 26 in straight steerer and a 20 mm Maxle. Pita to tell you the truth. Been searching all morning. I've found some revs on uk ebay. I'm a bit worried about buying more of the same dramas. I really think I need something easy to service as well.

moorey

call me Mia
Hmmm, will have to check with a friend, he has some 2012-13 Lyriks that would be offloaded(also in Newcastle) for next to nothing, God they were shit but I can't remember if they were straight steerer or not.
I changed them to solo air after RS replaced the damper under warranty and they were still horrible, took the dog's ears off the bushings, still shit so they got swapped out for a second hand X-Fusion and he's had no issue since, just ordered another for his new bike. I'm trying to slowly convert the RS loyalists :evil:
2013/13 will be tapered. I used to have 3 sets of straight. Sweet fork.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for the help guys. This is bloody confusing. I hate having outdated standards. 26 in straight steerer and a 20 mm Maxle. Pita to tell you the truth. Been searching all morning. I've found some revs on uk ebay. I'm a bit worried about buying more of the same dramas. I really think I need something easy to service as well.
Doesn't come any easier to service than revs.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
2013/13 will be tapered. I used to have 3 sets of straight. Sweet fork.
Cool, thanks, that rules them out. I have ridden a nice Lyrik but my friend got a dud as I did with my Totem, if I go back to RS I'd only buy a second hand I can test, I have zero faith in their quality control.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wait, the air chambers on the 454 are basic as fuck. As if you couldn't get a new dual-air side for the fork! Any 32mm dual-air RS internals will fit in it. Can even run solo-air internals in dual-air uppers.

What's actually wrong with it?

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
I didn't get the full run down from my mechanic and like I said I'm not really up with the exact workings. I can't talk to the mechanic until mon as he has gone away riding all weekend. I know he's on here so hopefully he might chime in.

I know that the negative chamber wasn't holding any air and that there was a tool mark in a bushing, so he sent them to sram. Then sram said there was also a problem with the pos chamber and that parts would be a problem and that it would cost almost as much as new forks. I kind of feel like they don't want to work on old stuff, but I don't have the knowledge to fix it myself.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's not too much to them, if it's not holding air in the neg chamber, check the o-rings and valve. http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-RebaRevoPike-Air-Service-Kit

If the tooling mark is in the bushings of the lowers, SRAM should be able to install new bushings into the lowers. Bushings are still available on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-reba-pike-bushing-kit/rp-prod78281

Most older RS parts are available from US sites or on ebay. It would cost $200-300 all up if you can't do the labour yourself.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Wow I didn't realise there would still be so many bits available for them, as above it should only be seals that are stuffed, Sram must be trying to sell you all the hardware too.

Order the bits plus some dust/oil seals and find someone on here that can do it for the cost of beer or a few dollars.

What colour is your 456, creamy colour? I saw on getting around a few weeks ago and had a giggle, I sold mine to some sucker in Syd for $20 :evil:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow I didn't realise there would still be so many bits available for them, as above it should only be seals that are stuffed, Sram must be trying to sell you all the hardware too.

Order the bits plus some dust/oil seals and find someone on here that can do it for the cost of beer or a few dollars.
Bushings are harder to change, do require special tools. Anyone can do an dual-air service if they've got some mechanical aptitude and patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Mm7r-Pc0g

moorey

call me Mia
Cool, thanks, that rules them out. I have ridden a nice Lyrik but my friend got a dud as I did with my Totem, if I go back to RS I'd only buy a second hand I can test, I have zero faith in their quality control.
Bugger. I'm running 9 sets between mine and wife/kids bikes, with 3 spare sets, and have had at least 6 other sets of revs in last few years, and a dozen other sets of boxxers, pikes, lyriks over last 15 years. I do a lot of km's, and a little lazy with servicing, and have never ever had an single issue. Fox, on the other hand....

Last edited: