New Falls creek downhill track?

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

I was going to be in Mt Beauty this weekend anyway but noticed a promo on the falls creek website about a new DH track built by World trail opening this weekend.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is anyone heading up or is my time better spent doing shuttles down the mountain?

Seems like it really flew under the radar if we have a new legit lift accessed Downhill facility in Aus. I went a few years ago but they only had walking tracks to ride down.

Cheers

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was up there Mon/Tues and yes, they'll have the Summit lift running this Weekend, $35 day pass for the new DH track. Needs bedding in, some corners are pretty loose but fantastic. The new XC trails are great too. I was with my 13yo and some of his friends so we didn't do the whole DH track (and the lowest section was being finished) but Falls are very keen to get MTB'ing going.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read the piece on Flow magazine (on the Rotorburn front page). When I read the words 'Flow trail' I got worried. World Trails's last 'flow trail' didn't exactly meet with universal applause...
The helmet cam does look more promising though...

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I'm going to wait and see. I've been burnt getting my expectations high when WT have built a track. And that footage of Falls looks more like an XC decent, not a DH track. Watkins is only riding his SB66 and it almost looks overkill.

If they build a proper DH track or two with some nice tables that all can enjoy, not another "flow" track that only XC riders rave about to make themselves feel hardcore, then it will be sweet.

Either way, at $35 for a lift, I will definitely be heading there more than the other resorts, but will have reserved expectations and probably just take my 6" bike.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to wait and see. I've been burnt getting my expectations high when WT have built a track. And that footage of Falls looks more like an XC decent, not a DH track. Watkins is only riding his SB66 and it almost looks overkill.

If they build a proper DH track or two with some nice tables that all can enjoy, not another "flow" track that only XC riders rave about to make themselves feel hardcore, then it will be sweet.

Either way, at $35 for a lift, I will definitely be heading there more than the other resorts, but will have reserved expectations and probably just take my 6" bike.
Im heading up in the morning. Nobody up here has much idea whats going on up the mountain and I've heard conflicting thing's.

I called falls and they confirmed lifts are running tomorrow, and said "the dh track isnt officially open but word on the street is people are enjoying it."

dunndog

Eats Squid
Burnt? You poor dear. I guess it must be hard when YOU put all the time and money in...
You are putting time and money in when you travel long distances and spend considerable amounts of money to ride something that isn't what its spruiked to be. It's not like WT hold build days for the masses to attend.
It also doesn't help confidence when trails are stated as up and running, when in actual fact they are not, but this isn't known until someone drives 4.5 hours to ride them but no one on the hill knows what they're talking about! (See falls creek thread in watering hole). Not that that is wt's fault , but it's definitely a burn!

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Burnt? You poor dear. I guess it must be hard when YOU put all the time and money in...
We've been through this a year ago Indica. I know you have connections or friendships with WT staff so I know you are quite defensive of them. Will just have to agree to disagree on our perception of their ability.

Truth is, they are paid professionals, and every time they build a track it gets pumped up, only for it to turn out to be mediocre. Especially in Victoria. Might be different in FNQ.

So with "DH" tracks at Buller and Kinglake both receiving enormous praise pre opening, and then many riders becoming emotionally invested, it should come as no surprise that a lot of felt yes, burnt, went their tracks fell short of making the grade.

Others may have paid to build the tracks, Buller and the Kinglake Shire, but they did that to attract our dollar in return. So as Dunny says, we do still outlay our own hard earned to enjoy our sport, but I feel there is one stake holder in that circle that has let many DH riders down.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've been through this a year ago Indica. I know you have connections or friendships with WT staff so I know you are quite defensive of them. Will just have to agree to disagree on our perception of their ability.
I don't have friends at WT. And I certainly won't ever make any with my assessment of their abilities.

For the love of god, somebody bring Gravity Logic or Joyride Bike Parks down to Australia!!!!

atschool

Likes Bikes
Don't really have high expectations due to the disappointment that was Kinglake DH track.

Probably the most fun stuff I have ridden was built by 3 Chillies in WA, don't think they're operating anymore though.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I just got back.

Its like copperhead if it was way more flat and had no rollers that you could double up. Everyone else was on am bikes with open face helmets and having way more fun than me.

Its cool that they are planning on developing mtb up there and ill continue to support it, but next time ill take my hardtail.

Good riding for all skill levels, but it's not a downhill track and shouldnt be advertised as such. Apparently the resort plan is to have a proper dh soon, so that should be good.

Not worthy of a helmet cam basically. You wouldnt see anything more than the one thats already up. If you're downhilling in mt beauty and the lift is running, head up for a day on a small bike, but if you're running a dh bike set up for mt beauty or bright, you'll have a hard time keeping moving.

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the report. Little bike it is !

Had some rain yesterday , has the surface firmed up or is it still soft ?

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was like riding on sponge cake this morning (added to the slowness on the big bike) but firmed up a bit with traffic by lunchtime. It has a few cool berms, and cause the dirt is a fine loam it can make for some big commitment into them. The best bit is
a triple little rock garden into a triple berm (theres a gap over the last rock garden).

I reckon once it is hard packed a 5-6 inch bike would be the pick for the fastest time.

Edit: Also rode Mt Beauty nationals track with the chute on the way home, was looking pretty disused, do you know what track everyones riding this summer, the new state series or the old big hill ending (for that matter is big hill rideable? )

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard rumors of a new track for the next Vic race , no details on where it will run or if it will include any existing tracks.

I don't know if anyone rides Big Hill any more , it gets overgrown easily as its a big job to keep it trimmed. I think ppl are riding the last raced track with the chute (Old nats / last Vic race track) I've only been riding the AM tracks up there last couple of years so I'm out of the loop a bit.

Thanks for the info on the Falls track. :)