New brakes....

matt123

Likes Dirt
I have just bought some promax hydraulic brakes from someone off rotorburn and when I went to pick them up they seemed fine so I took them home and put them on my bike. Once I got them on I pulled the lever and they didnt work. The guy said that they were brand new and had been stored at his house for a while. The seal is broken (where the lever is)

Also the guy isnt answering any of my phone calls or PMs......

What should I do?

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take them to your LBS, if you aren't even sure whether or not there is oil in them, it's probably best someone else fixes them for you.

matt123

Likes Dirt
Take them to your LBS, if you aren't even sure whether or not there is oil in them, it's probably best someone else fixes them for you.
ok,
I took them up to my lbs and they told me it was the seal where the lever is that is broken. To repair the seal they would have to order a seal kit in and then bleed them which would cost me around $40. But they said they cannot be bothered bleeding brakes because its too much trouble.

Any other ideas?

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Ban 'em!

Any LBS that won't bleed brakes should be blackbanned! What a joke.:mad:

What suburb / state?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
ok,
I took them up to my lbs and they told me it was the seal where the lever is that is broken. To repair the seal they would have to order a seal kit in and then bleed them which would cost me around $40. But they said they cannot be bothered bleeding brakes because its too much trouble.

Any other ideas?
yea change LBS's immediately, it is not that troublesome honestly.

jackthewolverine

Likes Dirt
*In olde english accent* Thats a bloody outrage i tells ya.
Well change bike shop or march right up to them and tell them that if they can't be farked you'll take your buissnes else where.

matt123

Likes Dirt
The shops pretty small but they are always busy, so I think he meant he doesnt have enough time to bother with it, but still.
Well I decided to bleed them myself even though i dont have a bleed kit.

They seem to work fine even though i didnt replace the rubbers.

Should I REPORT the guy to a mod because he was advertising them as brand new-never been used (they were used) and also he was telling me that they were all ready to go, but they actually needed to be bled

Last edited: