new bikes ~$1000-$1500 each in melb

68deluxe

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Looking to get into mountain bikes again.. been several years since I've ridden (lets say 10 :rolleyes:). We're from eastern melbourne, will be riding in dandenongs/lysterfield etc. trails, xc, maybe downhill as I get more experienced

My partner wants a bike too, which reduces the budget a little but we can stretch out to $1500 per bike.

Will be heading into freedom machine and melbourne bike shops in prahran tomorrow to take a look around. Have looked in goldcross and anaconda and was treated well by the sales staff but just left confused in the end.

What I've found so far is (all 2009s):
giant xtc2 $1599 (possible bargain??)
gt avalance expert $1499
giant talon $1349
giant alias $999

Question time:

1. Is there anything anyone would recommend as a standout in this price range (will definately consider other brands - gt, kona, norco etc.)

2. What are peoples thoughts on (generic?) brands such as Meridas, Fluid, Jamis etc...

3. For my missus, would it be practical to put her on a small framed men's bike, or should we stick to female frames for her? (The above prices are specials only on mens bikes. eg womens alias was still full price :mad:)

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:

68deluxe

Likes Bikes
for anyone who is interested.. just picked up an '09 talon and '09 xtc 2 from the LBS in Syndal. Very friendly service and a nice tidy workshop on display.

Paid $1199 for the talon and $1599 for the xtc, which was cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Can't wait to try them out properly!

Tim.

rg144

Likes Bikes
hey 68- let me know what you think of the talon... in particular- how heavy is the thing? i cant seem to find any weightings on the net..

i'm also considering these bikes, but a bit worried the coil forks (Tora) are a little on the heavy side.

curious- can i ask why you went the giants over the gt avalanche? i rode this bike a few weeks ago and found it handles great- pretty sharp/precise turning

68deluxe

Likes Bikes
hey 68- let me know what you think of the talon... in particular- how heavy is the thing? i cant seem to find any weightings on the net..

i'm also considering these bikes, but a bit worried the coil forks (Tora) are a little on the heavy side.

curious- can i ask why you went the giants over the gt avalanche? i rode this bike a few weeks ago and found it handles great- pretty sharp/precise turning
hey rg,

I will put the talon on the scales in the morning. it's only a 16" frame, so keep that in mind.

how does the Talon ride?

to me everything rides well at the moment. These are the first bike's we've ridden seriously in around 10 years. The Talon is for the wife, who um.. crashed on her test ride... :rolleyes: will let you know ;)

why the giants over Avalanche?

1) no one replied to my thread to tell me otherwise :p
2) I have no idea about bikes really. :rolleyes:
3) I was sick and tired of driving around bikeshops, and these were both at the same shop, in the right frame sizes, at the right price. :confused:
4) the XTC has a better shock than the Avalanche :cool:
5) I don't like the look of the GT frames :(
6) I do like the look of the Giant frames, Talon in partic. :D

Will let you know how they ride when we get them dirty. Mind you, I can't promise I'll know what I'm talking about. bit of a newb here.

Tomshak

Likes Dirt

My friend has one and they are not too heavy at all.
The Talon does not have a coil fork but it does have air forks and so that reduces a lot of weight

rg144

Likes Bikes
just an update- i went and rode a talon last week, nice bike for the price, and doesnt feel heavy at all. did also ride the alias- found the front end to be a little heavier but i spose that was due to the coil forks??

paint job on the alias is sweet and shiny :)

WildWassa

Banned
I have an XTC 2, I purchased it only 8 weeks ago. I went for the (Australian version, for the non Aussie Farkers) XTC 2 rather than the Talon because of the noticably lighter weight. Much of the hardware on the XTC 2 is a grade above the Talon. The Australian version of the XTC 2 is equivalent to the US XTC Alliance.

It took a few rides to get used to the SPD pedals and tune their tension for instant quick release, for tackling the rougher tracks at Stromlo. When climbing I'm finding the pedals very efficient ... elsewhere the SPDs are excellent on farm tracks and fire trails. It is when you need to dab a foot instantly that the SPD can catch you out until both you and they are well tuned.

The pop-lock feature is good for climbing and on tarmac when the front shocks aren't needed. The Juicy Three brakes have held up and done the job well. The Juicy Three aren't suitable for DH or serious freeriding ... but they sure feel like they could be, in small doses. After 8 weeks of frequent riding, I've ridden double black diamond tracks and many of the Blue tracks at Stromlo there is not a hassel or problem with the bike. The bike is still as smooth and as shudder free as the day I first hopped on it.

There is a good paint finish on the bike despite the branding. The matte black Talon paint job would suit the XTC 2. I've now added a 'Topeak' saddelbag for my tools, phone, handheld GPS and keys and a 'Jet Black' carbon drink bottle cage and a 'Tioga' pump and also purchased a 'Giant' shock pump and a 'Thule' three bike car rack and SPD cleated XC shoes. It isn't just the bike you buy, you have to buy the industry to keep the bike going. The tally is surely adding up.

Now that I've changed the Kenda Small Block 8 tyres (which I foolishly requested when the bike was being put together) to a folding Rendez on the front and a folding Crossmark on the rear, I'm delighted with the quality and handling of the bike.

I certainly recommend the model as a hardtail, well worth the price. Giants are more affordable at the moment because of the new 2010 models appearing in the LBSs.

Warren.

Last edited:

68deluxe

Likes Bikes
good mini-review wassa, glad to see some others with this bike..

would this bike be suitable to light dh stuff? I'm really new to all this so not sure what it can handle really.. how far do you think a bike like this could be pushed?

tim.

WildWassa

Banned
Tim, G'day.

Giant say, "The bike is a light weight frame XC racer, light, stiff and snappy. The XTC 2 does double duty as a capable XC race bike and an efficient trail bike for the purists with race inspired geometry. Go-fast technology, stripped to its trail-pounding essence."

When I've done sections of the DH at Stromlo I've allowed the bike to roll over obstacles, and I've avoided the real stuff. I've taken no air at all on her, apart from the odd bunny hop.

Avid say that the brakes aren't suitable for DH. I weighed the bike at the LBS and it was only 11.5, kg the Talon was nearly 14 kg. A DH bike can be double the weight.

I will ride down a hill, but I will not DH this bike.

I took the bike down the 'Terminal Velocity' track at Stromlo a few days ago. The track is relatively straight and smooth. She was as quick as. The bike is too light in the build for DH ... perfect for trail riding and the reason why I bought the model. The RRP is $2,295. I payed $1800 on special but the prices have fallen further now, because of the 2010 Giants hitting the stores.

I'll throw her around in this kind of stuff no worries.

Warren.

Last edited:

Solman

Likes Bikes
Ive got an 08 talon.
its been an awesome all round bike. i find it pretty light. great for all XC stuff, and wack the seat down and its been good on all the dirt jumps around my area.

id deffinately recommend the talon ;)