New bike shopping - rant alert

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have some 27.5 bikes...non boost though. They ride better as 26”
I can't tell any difference between the 'feel' from my limited time on a 650b vs. 26" wheel size.

Anyhow Moorey, I suggest a 29" Giant hardtail for you and start shaving your legs.
That'll straighten you out quick smart and open up a bigger world :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yes it matters. It’s stupid. And it stops upgrade creep, so you can’t just upgrade frame, when everything else is still good, because dits boost now so you need cranks, wheel, and no front mech mount so time for new drivetrain aswell. God damnit.

So rather than getting an awesome boutique frame for around 3 grand and transfering old parts that are still good, you need 7 grand for frame and same level of quality. Its shit.
Oh I agree on the stupidity, but what I meant was, what can you do about it when you're in the shop? You just take the latest standards and hope that at least some of them stick around right? Or do you actively refuse to buy anything with new standards, and build up a boutique frame with the standards you want knowing full well they'll be replaced in this endless cycle of consumerism? Or do you (as some of you hoarders appear to do) snaffle up enough spares to last you until you're too old to ride?

I'm actually genuinely asking, because I'm already fucked as I bought a non-boost bike as boost came out.

moorey

call me Mia
E7A5A4DC-FB0C-4C76-871B-A0909FEC0E56.jpeg
I can't tell any difference between the 'feel' from my limited time on a 650b vs. 26" wheel size.

Anyhow Moorey, I suggest a 29" Giant hardtail for you and start shaving your legs.
That'll straighten you out quick smart and open up a bigger world :)
What about this?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is what we are talking about when we don't say Giant. A few things to make it betterer.
1. Remove the bike computer and the twisty magnetic pickup. It is always better to think that you are faster than you really are. The truth hurts.
2. The brake calipers might need a little bit of adjustment or just embrace living on the edge.
3. I love Thomson seatposts but those layback ones have always done my head in :)

Reactions: PJO

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's good to hear that I'm not alone with the frustrating chain of pseudo-improvements.

Solo air from SRAM is another absurd development. Did anyone have trouble with dual air (other than the fact that the air pressure recommendations on the fork legs were ridiculous)? They launch the solo air spring, then realise its adjustability is crap and instead of going back to dual air they create one stop-gap measure after another to try to get back the adjustability of dual air. You also lose the ability to change the travel of the fork with a 10c spacer.

At some point in time they'll re-introduce dual air and the MTB media will have a forkgasm over it.

PJO

in me vL comy
2. The brake calipers might need a little bit of adjustment or just embrace living on the edge.
3. I love Thomson seatposts but those layback ones have always done my head in
Throw the breaks [sic] away I say, there's enough room to jam your foot between the back tyre and seat tube.
Agreed on the seatpost, the straight shafted ones have a better insertion. :oops:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Oh I agree on the stupidity, but what I meant was, what can you do about it when you're in the shop? You just take the latest standards and hope that at least some of them stick around right? Or do you actively refuse to buy anything with new standards, and build up a boutique frame with the standards you want knowing full well they'll be replaced in this endless cycle of consumerism? Or do you (as some of you hoarders appear to do) snaffle up enough spares to last you until you're too old to ride?

I'm actually genuinely asking, because I'm already fucked as I bought a non-boost bike as boost came out.
You hoard up big time and hope it all lasts you into your 60s. Thats my plan. RM Switch, 3x Turners, a Liteville, Focus Sam, 2x Lynskeys and counting.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It's good to hear that I'm not alone with the frustrating chain of pseudo-improvements.

Solo air from SRAM is another absurd development. Did anyone have trouble with dual air (other than the fact that the air pressure recommendations on the fork legs were ridiculous)? They launch the solo air spring, then realise its adjustability is crap and instead of going back to dual air they create one stop-gap measure after another to try to get back the adjustability of dual air. You also lose the ability to change the travel of the fork with a 10c spacer.

At some point in time they'll re-introduce dual air and the MTB media will have a forkgasm over it.
I've created my own dual air forks, solo air is indeed crap. Flip the air spring assembly to the other leg to avoid the equalisation notch. Old dual air pistons assemblies are still on eBay

John U

MTB Precision
Some existing standards that could have been embraced instead of creating new ones without losing any gain.
20 mm front axle
1.5 straight head tube
150 * 12 rear axle
Traditional threaded bb 68/73/8?

I agree with the different wheelsizes. I think changing these makes the most significant change to how a bike feels. I’ve ridden some tracks where the latest wheelsize trend has changed the nature of the track (unfortunately).

I finally adopted 31.8 bars. I resisted for a long time. It makes sense with wider bars. But if 35mm is required the why not go straight to 4omm and be done with it ffs.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
You hoard up big time and hope it all lasts you into your 60s. Thats my plan. RM Switch, 3x Turners, a Liteville, Focus Sam, 2x Lynskeys and counting.

Winning at life clearly. Good collection.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Yes.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Flip the air spring assembly to the other leg to avoid the equalisation notch...
Brilliant. I've used a 10mm all travel spacer to put the air piston seal head above the notch (but you do loose 10mm travel). Never thought to swap the internals over to the other side.

Oddjob

Winning at life clearly. Good collection.
Apart from the RM and the Lynskeys they are in pieces. Any suggestions on winning more time? And don't say less sleep, I already have two young kids.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Apart from the RM and the Lynskeys they are in pieces. Any suggestions on winning more time? And don't say less sleep, I already have two young kids.

What is your amphetamine in take like?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
20 mm front axle
1.5 straight head tube
150 * 12 rear axle
Traditional threaded bb 68/73/8?.
You've got some manufacturers going back to 12x150 rear haha. They're calling it superboost 12x157 though, but it's the same spacing as 12x150 with wider flanges. What goes around comes around. I'll admit that my new bike has forced me into boost, I can't feel any difference. Maybe it's there but it's not for us mere mortals.

I'll still go with the myriad of bottom bracket standards as my biggest pet peeve. I'm glad there's a tenancy to go back to a 73mm threaded but there's still a ton of guys releasing frames with BB30 or PF92 etc. Pain in the ass.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Put the kids to work, isnt that the reason to have them? They can run circles around some IT departments these days.

Oddjob

Put the kids to work, isnt that the reason to have them? They can run circles around some IT departments these days.
They're 3 and 6 months so they are still very much putting me to work.