New and looking to race, will my bike comply?

Zenith

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I have spent a few hours searching and reading MBTA site and this forum, but cant find all the info im looking for..so i just want some clarification and i hope this is in the right forum.

I did find some tech regs, on MBTA but they were from 2006, are they still current or have they changed?

I currently ride a Jamis Durango 1.0, and am looking at doing some XC and possibly 4X as that looks like fun, DH is a bit out of my league.. :)

since i currently ride on the road, i have water bottle cages, bar ends, saddle bags and pumps as well as al lthe legal stuff like lights and bell..

my question is, Do i have to remove these to race? and then put end caps on the handlebars?

Also, for 4X can just wear my current helment i wear on the road?

and is there anything else specific i need to get to race?

thanks in advance.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
as far as i know all your bike needs to race is two of three things
a) Breaks
b) 26' wheels
c) gears
What about Fixies and 29ers and those loopy guys on unicycles ?

Bar endcaps and a Aus standards helmet would be a good start.. Otherwise I dont think anyone will stop you from riding in a race like the Working Week series on a bike with lights, reflectors, cable lock, bells, racks, horns, spokeydokeys, streamers, basket and safety flag.... There are plenty of other weirdo's that do these races on bikes with 1 wheel, bikes with no gears, bikes with 1 wheel bigger than another even bikes that look like they shouldnt be there. :D

Last edited:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about Fixies and 29ers and those loopy guys on unicycles ?
Unicycles don't comply due to the number of wheels they have.

In general terms your bike must have the following:

2 functioning brakes: one at the front and one at the back.
Bar ends and bars plugged to stop you from taking core samples in the event of a crash.
Be in a servicable condition and not a danger to you or any other rider ie obviously cracked frames, bad play in hubs, sharp bits hanging off etc etc etc.