New 2017 Shimano Drivetrain Additions

Minlak

custom titis
Is that some sort of quicklink? I assume that would go on your chain to make it easier to remove and put back on?

That's a fucking brilliant idea trust Shimano to change the game AGAIN!!!! Hope the others start doing this to......

Ivan

Eats Squid
It is unusual for Shimano to announce a product that is a year away from sale, and still can't show pictures of it because it's still in the prototype stage.

I can't help but think this is an attempt to gazump the sram eagle announcement and steal some thunder from them.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess for 2018 they will offer Campagnolo freehubs on their road wheels and the RT-99 Freeza rotor in 6 bolt.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And they still don't offer a crankset with a decent top-end for people who want REAL versatility! :rant:
M9000?

He asked hesitantly.
Nup. Biggest ring on offer in both M8000 & M9000 is 40T on the triple, with a twiddly 22 at the bottom end. Great for climbing walls, but the top-end is pretty ordinary. Sure it doesn't get used all the time, but there are times I max out the 42-11 top gear I currently have.

Z

Zaf

Nup. Biggest ring on offer in both M8000 & M9000 is 40T on the triple, with a twiddly 22 at the bottom end. Great for climbing walls, but the top-end is pretty ordinary. Sure it doesn't get used all the time, but there are times I max out the 42-11 top gear I currently have.
Can you post a picture of your legs? I thought I was a pretty strong pushing a 34t single ring up front, but there's not enough protein powder in the world to make me think a 40t only is a limiting factor to a crank's viability.

Don't even think my Stumpy has the chainstay clearance for anything large that a 34t.

Jesus I feel inadequate right now!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I didn't say I *only* use the 42, but I do like its availability when it's called for. Call me a retro-grouch if you like, but I refuse to drink the 1x Kool-Aid, preferring my trusty triple for REAL XC versatility. My additional gripe with the new triples is that the middle ring has been reduced from a really sweet 32T to 30, but that's not quite as bad as lopping the whole top-end of the range off! The doubles are worse.

Z

Zaf

I didn't say I *only* use the 42, but I do like its availability when it's called for. Call me a retro-grouch if you like, but I refuse to drink the 1x Kool-Aid, preferring my trusty triple for REAL XC versatility. My additional gripe with the new triples is that the middle ring has been reduced from a really sweet 32T to 30, but that's not quite as bad as lopping the whole top-end of the range off! The doubles are worse.
Oi, retro-grouch, 1x Kool-aid tastes sweeeeeeeet!

What about aftermarket chainrings for that bolt circle? I was under the impression that narrow wide would only be for a single ring solution anyway.

What other modern cranksets have a 42t availability with them?

I've been using full Kool-aid, oval, single, narrow wide, direct mount, long tooth chainrings for a little while now and haven't missed it. Haven't felt the loss of the big ring at all though.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ducky there is no single track I ride that I have spun out a 32-11. Sure fire roads I have wanted more but single track definitely not....And the single track is the whole reason I ride... So this is what I want my bike set up for...

Ivan

Eats Squid

The shift from 32t to 30t would be because of the popularity 29"wheels I imagine.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can understand ducks frustration. Have got the complaint a few times for customers who want a good hardtail MTB ($1500+), but also want to use it to commute on. A triple makes sense in that situation. The gearing of MTB doubles limits them to just over-road use.

Use to max out the 42-11 when I was commuting on a Yukon back before I got my drivers license (5 years ago).