Nerdy list of items to carry in First Aid kit

stirk

Burner
I was thinking MVA was motor vehicle accident. Maybe it's single/multi vehicle accident? :noidea:

Edit. Don't go to toilet mid posting, then post on return before checking :doh:
I thought you did your best posts while going to the toilet.

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah the nomenclature changes a bit, some say MVA = Motor Vehicle Accident, no matter the number. Others specify Single/Multiple. I was always taught S/M but i get the differences

poiterpan

Likes Bikes
I carry one bandage. It can be a sling, a tourniquet, a dressing, a compression bandage or part of a splint (with sticks). Cleaning wounds, pulling out splinters and pain relief can wait til you get home.
I find dropping some pain relief at the time of the accident allows it kick in by the pain starts rising.

I also have one of those single use chemical cold packs, but it is too bulky to carry in the back pack.

poiterpan

Likes Bikes
I carry very little on the trail, a compression bandage, some tubigrip and saline. Plus paracetamol, ibuprofen and some anti histamines.

Spare tubes can double as slings and splint wrappings etc, same goes for gaffer tape for securing dressings etc.

I do carry a full trauma kit in the back of the ute though, which includes green whistles, other S8s, neck braces, IV fluids, tracheotomy kit and other fun stuff. Thats mainly because my wife is a doctor, and we have come across quite a few serious S/MVAs on our long distance trips, and have slowly expanded the kit.
Good idea to use spare tubes at a sling. I never considered that.

Are there any regulations or requirements for keeping the green whistles in the car?

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, they are a prescription S8. Restricted access drug, only carried because the Mrs is a doctor. Even I dont know the combination to the lock on that part of the bag.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sounds like a true backcountry kit give or take. It wouldn't need to be that bulky for your average ride with the lads. You could cut back on the fancier dressings and just go with triangular bandages and combines. Agree on the aspirin. UHT Milk is missing. If a tooth is knocked out, UHT milk (tetrapack) is the ideal storage liquid. Never touch the root of the tooth.

Compromises are best. Spare tubes can be used for bike portage as well as slings and to secure broken limbs. A roll of string takes little room and can be used for lymphatic drainage occlusion for snake bite if there are not enough bandages available (likely for a lower limb bite). Zip ties. Lots of zip ties for all sorts of purposes.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Too true for zip ties, scalpel comes in handy - never know when an aortic dissection trailside might need a repair. Bic pen of course as well.

Bic pen -
Pleural drain, tracheotomy, last will and testament. ....... Anymore? ;)

hairy1

Likes Bikes
Sounds like some pretty crazy stuff people are carrying out there/have in their cars....

Like someone pointed out, your spare tube is a torniquet/sling...the aspirin is a good idea tho...

If you are thinking "I have $XXX to drop on a first aid kit" consider your first aid skills - being able to support the airway of an unconscious person, knowing when to get cracking with the CPR, stick an arm in a split etc - and do another first aid course. Unless you see these sorts of problems frequently you will be crap at a lot of it

tim

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are thinking "I have $XXX to drop on a first aid kit" consider your first aid skills - being able to support the airway of an unconscious person, knowing when to get cracking with the CPR, stick an arm in a splint etc - and do another first aid course. Unless you see these sorts of problems frequently you will be crap at a lot of it
Quoted for truth

poiterpan

Likes Bikes
Sounds like some pretty crazy stuff people are carrying out there/have in their cars....

Like someone pointed out, your spare tube is a torniquet/sling...the aspirin is a good idea tho...

If you are thinking "I have $XXX to drop on a first aid kit" consider your first aid skills - being able to support the airway of an unconscious person, knowing when to get cracking with the CPR, stick an arm in a split etc - and do another first aid course. Unless you see these sorts of problems frequently you will be crap at a lot of it

tim
Good call.

markgab

Likes Dirt
First get a first aid/cpr certificate

Things in the first aid list i would have doubts with and would be able to shed weight.

- Tubifast stocking: just bring medical tape and gauze
- Triangle Sling: a make shift tube or rip apart shirt
- Glue: Useless... Steri strips/guaze/tape does the job (saline does the job removing)
- Rubber gloves: If it isnt sterile gloves there isnt a use (besides medical terms: infection is secondary)
- Algisite M dressing: Pressure to wound or just use your compression stockings
- Combine: As above with gauze or pack wound with sand?
- Ibuprofen: Swelling occurs hours after incident and some may have intestinal bleeding NSAID
- Panadol/Codiene: Really up to the person
- All in one survial kit: Normal cycling trips there should be reception, cell phone plus extra battery/power bank

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Tampons can be quite useful too as makeshift nose splints, also for blood noses that wont stop bleeding.

poiterpan

Likes Bikes
First get a first aid/cpr certificate

Things in the first aid list i would have doubts with and would be able to shed weight.

- Tubifast stocking: just bring medical tape and gauze
- Triangle Sling: a make shift tube or rip apart shirt
- Glue: Useless... Steri strips/guaze/tape does the job (saline does the job removing)
- Rubber gloves: If it isnt sterile gloves there isnt a use (besides medical terms: infection is secondary)
- Algisite M dressing: Pressure to wound or just use your compression stockings
- Combine: As above with gauze or pack wound with sand?
- Ibuprofen: Swelling occurs hours after incident and some may have intestinal bleeding NSAID
- Panadol/Codiene: Really up to the person
- All in one survial kit: Normal cycling trips there should be reception, cell phone plus extra battery/power bank
- tubifast is great for keeping dressings in place. I have found it useful this past week.
- gloves to protect yourself from someone else's bodily fluids PPE
- aglisite- made from seaweed to encourage coagulation. Would complement the compression to the wound.
- I wouldn't want to jab dirt/sand into a wound. Spores/bacteria would complicate things. Yeah combine is a bit overkill.
- ibuprofen: true, but may be useful for pre-existing aches during the ride. Not a problem if taken with food.
- strong panadiene with slightly more codeine hits the spot when needed. Swelling and inflammation kick in quick, so may as well get on top of the pain early
- I used to carry a battery for the iPhone 5, but find the battery in the 6 plus doesn't really need a backup.
- aspirin is one that have added to the list after starting the conversation here. Also looking into getting a small long life milk sachet.
Pity I am not wearing a scout scarf anymore. It would double as a bandage/sling.
One extra I found for novelty value is:
Outdoor Portable Knife Cardsharp Credit Card

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281339899531

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
- tubifast is great for keeping dressings in place. I have found it useful this past week.
- gloves to protect yourself from someone else's bodily fluids PPE
- aglisite- made from seaweed to encourage coagulation. Would complement the compression to the wound.
- I wouldn't want to jab dirt/sand into a wound. Spores/bacteria would complicate things. Yeah combine is a bit overkill.
- ibuprofen: true, but may be useful for pre-existing aches during the ride. Not a problem if taken with food.
- strong panadiene with slightly more codeine hits the spot when needed. Swelling and inflammation kick in quick, so may as well get on top of the pain early
- I used to carry a battery for the iPhone 5, but find the battery in the 6 plus doesn't really need a backup.
- aspirin is one that have added to the list after starting the conversation here. Also looking into getting a small long life milk sachet.
Pity I am not wearing a scout scarf anymore. It would double as a bandage/sling.
One extra I found for novelty value is:
Outdoor Portable Knife Cardsharp Credit Card

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281339899531
Knife is a good idea. Triangular bandages are the ultimate first aid item - ask any ski patroller. They can be used to secure splints, secure the injured or sick for transport or safety when waiting, as a compression bandage, directly over bleeders, over snake bite as part of a limb occlusion dressing, or as a sling (St John's and broad-arm versions). Triangulars take up little space. Better than a Scout scarf.