need to find a really strong rim

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I'm having a lot of problems with rims,
not so much on my dually, but on my dj.
I do a lot of bigs dirt jumps and I'm not afraid to try new tricks or new jumps.:D
but I now am going through about 2 rear rims a month,
i know that if you land side ways a bit it can cause a buckle, but it not just that.. my spokes become loose very easily and when i take it to the bike shop to get them tightened the same thing just happens after another 4 weeks of riding, I'm not sure if its the rims I'm buying, (there normally alex rims) or if its the way I ride. (I'm 15 in a few months and 6 ft tall and weigh 80 kg if it changes any thing)
so I was wondering if any one could suggest a dj rim that is pretty much bomb proof, (price rang is around $350) I'm very interested in the sung rims (case and hybride lite I think it is) and the mavic 293 (not sure if I got that right either) :confused:
any ways, let me know cause its costing my mum and dad a fair bit since I don't have a job at the moment and I'm broke:(
cheers
Alex:)

Toff

Likes Dirt
No idea how strong your current rims are, but if strength is the only requirement (as in you don't care about weight or price), look into the Mag30/ Double Wide/ MTX 39 (same rim AFAIK). One of the strongest rims available.

Otherwise look at the Dice SMO. I had one on the back of my street rig, was absolutely bombproof but weighed a metric tonne.

Also, make sure your wheels are getting built right. A good wheel builder is critical to the strength of your wheels.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im running a Velocity Psycho, which is cheap and most definitely dent proof but unfortunately is pinned together which is liable to split. I had one replaced under warranty when it was relatively new, so far this one hasnt split yet, Unsure if it was a one off issue tho...

LordNikon

Uber Geek
I would guess that your problem is more likely to be the build and not the rims.

If your LBS is true-ing your wheels and they need tightening after 4 weeks then you need to find yourself a new wheel builder.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Did you mean the double track??

Mind you, the double wide is a killer of a rim!:eek::p...
That I did, thanks for the correction.

Definitely find somewhere else to get your wheels built, however if after that you're still taco-ing them then consider either the rims I mentioned, or even a 48 spoke Halo SAS build for pure strength..

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
not sure if their still made, but my mates old Syncros DH32 wheelset lasted many roof drops and hucks to flat without buckling a milimetre; but it has some mighty fine flat spots

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You're willing to spend $350 on a rim??!!

You could get a gold plated one (like Uday Hussein probably had) for that much!!

Dice SMO.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
When you have NFI about something it's best to say nothing.^^^

$350 should also get you a pretty decent wheel as well, I should imagine. There's a lot of good suggestions for rims on this page, do you have a particular hub in mind?

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
umm, i don't really care what type of hub,
i just want something that is strong,
i like to have a bike with a loud bb note,
but other then that i don't mind at all

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
who's building the wheel for you? get someone trusted and proven for a start! its what will make the wheel good or not.

have you tried a 721 or something like that? built with double butted or even straight gauge spokes can be plenty strong and still light enough to throw around.

if you want an ok hub thats loud you cant go past a hope rear hub for value.. if you can afford a dt swiss or hadley even better.. but for $350 there both worth more than that by themselves.

If your a really heavy or rough on rims it may be worth checking out the Arrow rims too.. The "DHH" looks pretty invincible.
http://www.arrowracing.com/home.html

But my vote is for a hope rear hub laced to mavic 721 (laced by a good wheel builder)

Last edited:

saundo

Likes Dirt
mate i have a set of 48 spoke dice smo wheels i would be will to part with. These are with out a doubt the strongest rim you will come across. if you pm ill get back to you. only issue is that it is a 135x12 rear axel bit of queer size front is a 20mm

joe79

Likes Dirt
I'm 85kg and had a Dice SMO on my street bike, it was indestructible. The only rim i've never bent. Definitely weighs a tonne though.

ademb

Likes Dirt
i cracked my rim last weekend riding out at menai, bought a dice smo from tbsm on monday laced up with i think its a TN hub for $250

Seems super strong! Though i havent given it a real flogging yet