need help reducing weight

niceride

Likes Bikes
hi i have a 2007 brodie cretin it weighs in at about 14.5k. i was just wondering how i could reduce weight i am going to use it for 4x and dirt jumping. i am going to leave it as single speed thanks i would appretiate any suggestions current spec sheet is below.

FRONT FORK: ROCKSHOX ARGYLE 302 100mm 20mm througha xle
HEAD SET: token
HANDLE BAR easton ea 30
STEM: MJ TB-065 STEM
STEM SIZING: 35MM
GRIPS: jet black
FRT/REAR BRAKE: AVID BB5 Mechanical Disc brake removed front brake
C/WHEEL: TRUVATIV LUFTALARM TEAM 1.1G / 25T Compact
BB SET: TRUVATIV ISIS DRIVE DHLT
CHAIN: KMC BMX CHAIN
PEDALS BRODIE'B-TEAM LASER LOGO
FRT/REAR HUB: KK-GTH3 20MM SEALED / KMX95R SINGLE SPEED with 12T integrated sprocket
CASSETTE" N/A Included 12T sprocket in hub.
SPOKES: Stainless steel 14g
FRT/REAR RIMS: SUN RIM SINGLETRACK FRONT / HALO COMBAT REAR
FRT/REAR TIRES KENDA K-RAD 26 X 2.30
SADDLE: SELLE ITALIA SLR 135G
S/POST KALLOY SP-368
DER. HANGER N/A

floody

Wheel size expert
-Change argyle for air pike, reba 20mm, revelation etc
-Bars and stem for Sunline V1 bar, Sunline AM stem
-Pedals for wellgo MG-1
-Crankset for M810 saint, Ti Axle Profile, etc
-Folding bead crossmarks or larsens

I'd bet theres 1.5kg in that alone.

niceride

Likes Bikes
-Change argyle for air pike, reba 20mm, revelation etc
-Bars and stem for Sunline V1 bar, Sunline AM stem
-Pedals for wellgo MG-1
-Crankset for M810 saint, Ti Axle Profile, etc
-Folding bead crossmarks or larsens

I'd bet theres 1.5kg in that alone.
i was thinking of getting a new wheel set maybe dtswiss e2200, ex1750, crank brothers or fulcrum red fire would this do just as much or not and revelaion and rebas are almost half a kilo lighter than pike so are they strng enough for dirt jumping

Last edited:

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mavic 721's would do wonders.
MRP camber crankset is 200g's lighter than saint
4 rotor bolts
maxxis flyweight tubes
trim seatpost/ bars/ shifter triggers.
double butted spokes
2.35" big bag/low profile tyres. high psi's.
remove the padding off your seat and trace around the contact area, trim any unnecessary parts off.
air forks such as pike's
drill holes in the grip area of your bars.
remove bashplate, you don't need one for 4X
light chainguides like LG1+ and gamut without a plate.

And if your last name is Packer....
ti profile hubs and hardware
remove outer dust seal on hubs to reduce friction, thus making you roll faster...
This will reduce the life of your hubs though....

carbon seat post?

CHUCK101

Likes Bikes
if ur going to spend that much why dont you just buy a new frame? you could cut like 1kg of the weight if you get a banshee amp or something of that nature

C-Shell

Likes Bikes
Get rid of those k-rads ASAP. Besides having terrible grip for dirt surfaces (although they do wear alright) they are sooo heavy. Repleace with what floody said. But sounds like a pretty sick bike :)

csd

Likes Dirt
i was thinking of getting a new wheel set maybe dtswiss e2200, ex1750, crank brothers or fulcrum red fire would this do just as much or not and revelaion and rebas are almost half a kilo lighter than pike so are they strng enough for dirt jumping
New Crank Bros or EX1750s are going to cost around $1100 (CRC).

For that cash, I'd get a cheaper wheelset - Hope ProII /w Mavic EX721 with new, lighter tires and tubes, and spend the balance on a new frame - a STP (2kg and cheap), 2nd hand Mob (2.3kg) or a NS Majesty (2.2KG). From memory the Brodie Cretin frame is pretty weighty. You could save a good half a kilo on the forks too, but just depends how much you want to spend :)

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
4 rotor bolts is fine i have 3 atm only because they feel out though, doing it for weight is soo super crazy and about as dumb and not running valve caps to save weight.

Your bike is generally heavy everywhere but somewhere to start would be with wheels, light tyres and tubes make alot of difference and a new set of forks.

I can highly recomend X-Fusion Velvets super highly rated in the States but dont seem to be here.. Alot of Pros run them and they dont break.. !.7kg super good for th emoney aswell. check them out www.diymtb.com

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
4 rotor bolts is fine i have 3 atm only because they feel out though, doing it for weight is soo super crazy and about as dumb and not running valve caps to save weight.

Your bike is generally heavy everywhere but somewhere to start would be with wheels, light tyres and tubes make alot of difference and a new set of forks.

I can highly recomend X-Fusion Velvets super highly rated in the States but dont seem to be here.. Alot of Pros run them and they dont break.. !.7kg super good for th emoney aswell. check them out www.diymtb.com
If you go the X-fusion velvet R's you can get this in combo with the Dartmoor frames along with a headset in one of our packages.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

makes re.. Alot of Pros run them and they dont break.. !.7kg super good for th emoney aswell. check them out www.diymtb.com
If you go the X-fusion velvet R's you can get this in combo with the Dartmoor frames along with a headset in one of our packages. eg Two6player being sub 2kg + DM headset and one 1.7kg fork, makes for one very light, nimble build.

And a DM funky stem at 175g in 31.8mm at $90 is a good direction for a stem.

floody

Wheel size expert
MRP camber crankset is 200g's lighter than saint
Apart from the fact some of the suggestions you made like drilling out the grip area of your bars and running 4 rotor bolts are both a bit silly and useless, the above is plain wrong.
M810 saint arms and BB are 825g. MRP Camber arms and BB are 850g. 25g more, not 200g less.

Or...Sunline AM at ~140g and similar money.

Last edited:

niceride

Likes Bikes
If you go the X-fusion velvet R's you can get this in combo with the Dartmoor frames along with a headset in one of our packages. eg Two6player being sub 2kg + DM headset and one 1.7kg fork, makes for one very light, nimble build.

atm i have arglye 302's which are really strong and dont want to make the bike to weak as i am a very sketchy rider. so will the new frame still be strong and wat are the forks like.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
New Crank Bros or EX1750s are going to cost around $1100 (CRC).

For that cash, I'd get a cheaper wheelset - Hope ProII /w Mavic EX721 with new, lighter tires and tubes,
I relaced Sun EQ 31s with black DT champions ... for a front then MTX 31s for a rear ... can get that for about $A420 (with pro IIs) off CRC (FX rate dependent) ... so far so good ... saved me about 500-700g (replacing Mag30s and Mavic D321s)

I also changed from a generic platform to the Wellgo MG -1 (well I actually got the NC-17 before I knew they were the same ... booooo) ... saved about 200g

I'd love to get some Reba 20mm ... maybe in a couple more months when the fashionistas upgrade.

I would have thought the XTs would be lighter then the Saints ... but from what Floody has said, they are pretty comparable ... can get XTs for about $200 new on CRC ... so could pick up a second hander a little cheaper if you can haggle.

You can get a cheap roadie Ti saddle for between $40-$70 in the 190g range if you look hard. I've picked up a Sette and a Beone(sp) for cheap. The Sette I have is now discontinued ... but is friggin awesome and still straight.

You can save big weight on rubber ... but at a sacrifice.
eg, Crossmarks would be good for DJ IMO ... but sux balls at 4x ... just not enough side knobs. Then again ... if the 4x tracks you ride are all bermed up, then crossmarks would be cool ... given the weight savings.

On anything moderately technical ... with loose rocks ... your gonna get a lot of deflection from the Crossmarks ... which can be both fun and annoying. I currently run these on my Bullit for AM and there are definately pluses and minuses.

I'd like to try the Nobby Nics(sp) ... a little heavier vs crossmarks (under a 100g from memory) ... but with shite loads more knobs. Bloody exccy IMO ... and you won't make friends with the DJ builders ... but would be hella for 4x and AM.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Personally id just take off the front brake unless you despreately need it?
there is no need for it
you forgot to tell him to slam the seat and wear his/her jeans two sizes smaller.

You wouldn't happen to have some 20mm rebas would ya ?

tommy-d

Likes Dirt

Recommend! ;)
The Two6player is hawt!