Need a new courier-style bag, any reccomendations?

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My beloved crumpler has gone missing - left it at a party and it disappeared the next day. Frustrating as I tend to carry so much crap around with me and it was great for it.
It was the Fux Deluxe, second biggest in their range. Not cheap either.
So now I'm looking to buy a replacement, and am thinking about going straight for this one again.
There were a few little things that I wanted out of my Crumpler though. The quality and durability were worth the expense, but compared to my Deuter backpack I missed having lots of little handy pockets, straps, webbing etc.
Are there any bags on the market that are BIG, will stand up to everyday (ab)use and also have little pockets and the like for me to lose my keys/wallet/phone in.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I had this dilemma a month or so ago. Ended up going for a Chrome 'Metropolis' from CRC. Picked it up a week ago whilst on shore leave and I've gotta say it's one hell of a bag!

It's waterproof, absolutely bombproof, comfy and I reckon it could just about squeeze a slab in there!

The little seatbelt buckle fastener type thing is pretty nifty too and there are a few little pockets creeping about (including a handy little hidden 'stash' pocket)

The only downside is the weight which whilst not really being noticeable when you're wearing it, is probably enough to make a difference if you're using it as carry-on luggage on a flight and the ground staff decide to get all jobsworth on you and check the weight.

I totally recommend one, but not in orange (as that's what I've got.)

Oh. if you're ordering anything from CRC, now's probably a good time. The f***ing pound's dropped down to being worth less than 2 bucks now!!! (1.98)

ducan

Likes Dirt
I just bought a crumpler after having a generic specialized type for a year.
Im really unhappy with it. Only one sided and is uncomfortable with annoying pockets.
...Holds a case though.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Can the chrome bags be worn on either shoulder? I love my crumpler but find that long rides with heavy loads places strain on my bad shoulder causing me pain.

stabbsy

Likes Dirt
on the chrome website, you specify which shoulder you wear the bag on, but it cant be both, because like a crumpler the strap length changing stuff is on the end

toby

Likes Dirt
another Chrome lover here... had mine for 8 years or so. Still looks like new.

I went with a black one, medium sized (can't remember the model). Ride to work everyday... perfect.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I liked the fact that when I had a fall and broke the buckle on my Crumpler, I could walk into the store and have it repaired.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
uncomfortable with annoying pockets.
...Holds a case though.
My thoughts exactly. Oh, and I managed to fit 3 6packs, a bottle of spirits and 2L of coke in my bag once. Pretty good effort :)
Seriously considering Chrome, the biggest one would be my pick. I like little pockets and straps and all that crap. And though Crumpler's aftermarket service is great I'd go for more features first.
Shame payday is still 3 weeks away...

pliskin

Likes Dirt
i have had a great courier style bag from Freitag. all bags are made from recycled tarps, inner tubes and seatbelts.
the version i have is the "dragnet", it is part of the messenger range
it is fully waterproof. as well as being washable
while they are quite expensive, it is well worth it. i have actually manged to fit a full case in mine. . it has a waist strap, as well as a shoulder strap, so its great for wearing while ridding, at the moment there is no store in australia that is stocking them, but u can order them online.
each bag is unique, pattern wise.
i have had it for the last 7 years.
they are 210chf ( swiss francs) = $237 aud. not sure about shipping

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/shop.jsf

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the Chrome Kremlin in the back of my mind, decided to have a browse about tonight...

Some cute pics first:

:D

Then I found some pics giving the scale of the Kremlin:

:eek:
A little bit too big... whilst I need massive load carrying for some things (doing a/v work for mates) it still needs to be practical enough for everyday use.

Checked out CRC's pricing, and conveniently enough they only had camo in stock for the Metropolis, which would've been my first colour choice anyway. Clicked, bought. Will see how it goes, though I bet the day it arrives I'll get a call from a friend saying they found my lost crumpler :rolleyes:

Slowdive

Cannon Fodder
messenger bags

I've had a fux deluxe for several years now - still looks the goods and the the shoulder issue others have mentioned hasn't really affected me as my version has the extra leg connection strap on both corners of the base of the bag = shoulder-switch-eroony.

Holds my tools and bits and bobs for the commute to work as well as a change of clothes np.

With compression sacks I used it as carry on luggage for a 5day bender in Sydney too...

...that said, have been looking at Brisbane Outdoor gear (can't paste the link as am a newb) as the bags are locally made and sustainable (and like the crumpler you can get 'em fixed... well if you're in Brisneyland). Nice load of pockets and other bits to help carry stuff. Haven't been able to get down in person yet to see the bags... Prices seem on par with others too.

Sekt

Likes Dirt
I've got a Chrome as well, second biggest one (is that the Metropolis?). Got it for $80 off a mate a while back and it kicks arse. Seriously tough, comfortable and heaps of good features.

Another rad option is the Brisbane Outdoor Gear bags. A mate picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it looks pretty solid.

http://www.bogear.com.au/

And of course, Skin Grows Back if you want the ultimate messenger bag. Right up there with the PAC bags by the seems of it. Top quality gear from those guys. Serious coin ($450), but probably money well spent if it's a piece of work equipment.

http://www.skingrowsback.com/

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chrome Metropolis arrived about 10 days ago.
Initial thoughts:
Very well made.
Clever design touches (liner is waterproof + removable, pockets are good)
Heavy.
Buckle will annoy me.
Shoulder pad could be longer.
Sits well on back, though not so good for side-sitting use.
Holds its shape well.

First "proper" use involved carrying two 19" LCD monitors home on foot the other day. They fit, barely, and the bag was still comfortable to wear. Didn't need to use the waist strap as it was held stable. This impressed me, alot.
Actually, the first day I wore it on the bus to work my lunch container decided to do a poor job at containing, filling my bag with oil from canned tuna :eek: Luckily the vinyl liner washed clean very easily, though my magazines were soaked and thus binned.
So many small touches like straps with reflective material and secondary buckles to keep them under control when not in use. Losta pockets, can't wait to see what I'll lose in them.
It does hold its shape well, which can be annoying when trying to fit bulky items in, doubly annoying because the metal buckle then flops around clanging on my desk reminding me how much of a struggle it can be to pack some of the crap I want to carry.
Only real downfall is I'd like the shoulder pad to be longer, so the bag can be worn a bit lower on my back - though this is only necessary for walking, I'm very impressed with how well it sits on my back when on the bike... even stuffed full with bulky clothing and shoes, a job that always required the crumpler to be strapped up tight, the Chrome has no problem staying where it should.

Oh, and it's camo - which makes it stronger :cool:

climbo

Likes Dirt
my Crumpler is OK but I bought a Re-Load from Philly and they are much heavier duty materials, longer wearing and tough. A bit of extra weight in it but for sure it has lasted and has plenty of options for customization. So many to choose, the BoG looks good though too.