need 0.8mm cable

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day All

After much pain searching and no luck I thought I might try my fellow Farkiners.

I am replacing cables for my rohloff hub and I cant seem to find them anywhere. I tried the importer but the cable the send was to short. Does anyone know where to get custom cables made up. I require 0.8mm(guess) by about 600mm?

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
How long does the 0.8mm last? Current using one on my FR build and it's PTFE coated.

You're only luck is to go to ebay and try a JagWire or Alligator cable.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long does the 0.8mm last? Current using one on my FR build and it's PTFE coated.

You're only luck is to go to ebay and try a JagWire or Alligator cable.
It has lasted 5 years without trouble. I cut it about 5mm too short and now need a new one. the way a rolhoff shifts is completly different to ANYTHING else so its not really comparing apples to apples.

Are you sure your cable is 0.8mm cause mine is about half of a normal shifter cable?

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
It has lasted 5 years without trouble. I cut it about 5mm too short and now need a new one. the way a rolhoff shifts is completly different to ANYTHING else so its not really comparing apples to apples.

Are you sure your cable is 0.8mm cause mine is about half of a normal shifter cable?
The normal Shimano stainless steel cable I use is about 1.8mm thick and the only reason I opted to use the thinner PTFE type is because my cable housing is 1.8m long and it's the thinner cable has less abrasive friction on the housing + the PTFE helps in the ease of shifting.

I think there's someone on ebay selling a full shifter set. Buy it and I'll share the housing and ferrules :biggrin1:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Not quiet 0.8mm, I have used NOKON cable which is noticably thinner than standard cable - I checked and it is 1.2mm is that close enough?

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
standard shimano cable is 1.2mm for shifting and 1.6 for brake cable.

Could you use standard 1.2mm cable for the majority of the lenght and then just use .8 where it needs to be attached?