Nationals 07/08

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I've seen a few threads about the o7/08 natianals series but i thought id add just one more. My question is about the Thredbo XC round (which for some stupid reason is being held a week before all the other races) and ist track conditions. I've just started training for xc again since all the major enduros are over and im woundering what sort of tracks i should be training on? long gradual or short steep climbs? smooth flowing or rough technical descents? bumps and roots? I live in canberra and can get to Majura and Stromlo easily.

And if you have any questions about the series feel free to post them here.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Steep climbs, and stairs for descents. Stromlo National Climb will do you well for fitness, not sure where you'd go in Canberra to practice the techy stuff (find some stairs to go up and down).

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Another question, what is the dirt like? would it be moist and tacky becuase of the snow and the fact that the alpine grass holds alot of moisture in? or is it fairly hard? and if so is there loose gravle on top like parts of stromlo?

Dug

Likes Dirt
I've seen a few threads about the o7/08 natianals series but i thought id add just one more. My question is about the Thredbo XC round (which for some stupid reason is being held a week before all the other races) and ist track conditions. I've just started training for xc again since all the major enduros are over and im woundering what sort of tracks i should be training on? long gradual or short steep climbs? smooth flowing or rough technical descents? bumps and roots? I live in canberra and can get to Majura and Stromlo easily.

And if you have any questions about the series feel free to post them here.

All of the above

gustfront

Likes Dirt
The Thredbo XC course is largely a manmade walking track. Compacted clay/earth with stairs on the descents. Fortunately the ascents are not stairs but a mixture of 4WD access trails and, grassy sections and flatter walking trails. Probably the best thing you can do is practice going real fast down stairs. I wasn't a big fan of the course. Nice for cruisy ride but sucks for a race.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
Its pretty technical, i fractured my elbow on that course (but that was cos i tried to impress some photographers n went ass over tits!) As mentioned there's stairs, try and get some practice on slippery roots too. The climbs are long fire road and some short tech singletrack ones. Tough but quality course.