nasty chem free bike water bottles???

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
so after reading a few scary articles about the dangers of plastics and the nasty chems leaching out of the plastic and into me.... which i kind of already knew, anybody know of some relatively safe/nasty chem free companies making bike drink bottles and if so where to get em?
my 5 dollar special ones from china are freaking me out :)

Capone

Likes Dirt
so after reading a few scary articles about the dangers of plastics and the nasty chems leaching out of the plastic and into me.... which i kind of already knew, anybody know of some relatively safe/nasty chem free companies making bike drink bottles and if so where to get em?
my 5 dollar special ones from china are freaking me out :)
Camelbak podium bottles,

LJG

Likes Bikes
Another Camelback user. I use a bladder in my pack and an insulated Podium on the frame. The insulation, while doing something, is more for show though, it does not keep fluid cold for very long on a hot day.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The chill ones or the standard? Do the chill ones fit much fluid? Have heard that they are lower capacity.
the chill is 500mL, lower capacity due to the insulation being a layer inside the bottle.
my girlfriend uses one (at school - teacher) and loves it.

moorey

call me Mia
I believe you will find that the scare campaign over leeching plastic water bottles is basically a crock anyway. That said, if you're concerned do what you need to do.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I believe you will find that the scare campaign over leeching plastic water bottles is basically a crock anyway. That said, if you're concerned do what you need to do.
And.....I wonder how many chemicals are in the water before you put it in the bottle?
I wonder what kind of chemicals are in the pipes that bring the water to your shiney, clean kitchen tap?
Or how many chemicals are used in food preservatives? Milks? Used to polish the nice shiney apples you see in Coles? Used in the manufacture of tea bags?

I do use BPA free bottles, but thats more for taste than anything! $5 in Rebel sports.......

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
And.....I wonder how many chemicals are in the water before you put it in the bottle?
I wonder what kind of chemicals are in the pipes that bring the water to your shiney, clean kitchen tap?
Or how many chemicals are used in food preservatives? Milks? Used to polish the nice shiney apples you see in Coles? Used in the manufacture of tea bags?

I do use BPA free bottles, but thats more for taste than anything! $5 in Rebel sports.......
yeah for sure, i mean it is virtually impossible to avoid all nasty things but you have to try and or start somewhere, considering the amount of water i consume thru my bike water bottle if i use my water filter at home to fill my new bpa free plastic water bottle and it makes me feel better then im a happier camper

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
yeah for sure, i mean it is virtually impossible to avoid all nasty things but you have to try and or start somewhere, considering the amount of water i consume thru my bike water bottle if i use my water filter at home to fill my new bpa free plastic water bottle and it makes me feel better then im a happier camper
I'm not knocking your choices.... go for it!

I do agree that you can taste chemicals from non-BPA free bottles, and water does taste cleaner from a filter!

I'm just afraid to think abbout it too much, my ocd might take over............:crazy:

0psi

Eats Squid
Virtually all bottles available now are BPA free. Maybe not the $3 China special ones but when you can pick up bottles here for $6 and Camelbak podium bottles for $10 it's not really worth the hassle of buying bottles from China.

Having said that the whole BPA thing is pretty overhyped. You'd basically need to drink non-stop for it to have any major effects.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you are drinking water from a mains supply, at the very minimum it will contain lime, a floculant used to settle solids and improve water clarity, CaCl2, a calcium water hardener, and hydrochloric acid, used to adjust pH after the lime has raised it. That's not to mention all the biological contaminants. If you are harvesting rain water then you are getting a whole kettle of other nasties that are not being treated at all. BPA is the least of your worries :fear:

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
If you are drinking water from a mains supply, at the very minimum it will contain lime, a floculant used to settle solids and improve water clarity, CaCl2, a calcium water hardener, and hydrochloric acid, used to adjust pH after the lime has raised it. That's not to mention all the biological contaminants. If you are harvesting rain water then you are getting a whole kettle of other nasties that are not being treated at all. BPA is the least of your worries :fear:
ok cool, ill prob just fill my water bottle from my dunny from now on after ive wiped my cats ass round the rim

moorey

call me Mia
ok cool, ill prob just fill my water bottle from my dunny from now on after ive wiped my cats ass round the rim
Sorted Thread closed.
That said, people tend to believe everything that they see on Today Tonight and read in the Herald Sun. Take the whole fluoridation thing. Proven to be completely harmless, but incredibly beneficial...yet people are still up in arms aginnit...and have the nerve to complain about dentist bills/waiting lists:tsk:

Don't even get me started on the anti-vaccers:drama:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
the chill is 500mL, lower capacity due to the insulation being a layer inside the bottle.
my girlfriend uses one (at school - teacher) and loves it.
There are two sizes. You're talking about the small size. The largest camelback podium bottle is the "big chill" version at 750ml. The largest non-insulated is 710ml. I use the big chill versions, they appear no bulkier than standard bottles and have the highest capacity. Even with the extra layer of insulation, the big chill is the biggest capacity podium bottle camelback make.

Danman89

Likes Bikes
Give the Specialized Big Mouth bottles a go.

Regular valve which I prefer over the podium, easy to squeeze, BPA free and can get them in different sizes.