Nano tips - making gloves smartphone compatible

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I thought I would just post up a quick review of a product I was trying on my work gloves that I have just given a run on some of bike gloves too.

If like me most of your gloves don't work on your iPhone then this may be the stuff for you (there is another brand called anyglove I think too). It is basically a solution you paint on your glove that creates a conductive link to you finger, thus making your swipes on the old iPhone screen achieve something a little more productive than frustration.

I have only done two gloves and so far I would say the version I purchased - Nanotips Black for leather gloves - really is for leather gloves only as it does not dry very well on the more fabric like Nzo winter gloves. That said, both now work fine on the ipad/iPhone screen with only one coat.

image.jpg

I will give a long term report once I have put them through some aqmud and stuff. The smell is the only big minus so far (think nail polish mixed with metho) and next time I will do it with a hand in the glove (rubber glove inside to avoid getting black finger)

Attachments

teK--

Eats Squid
Nice product let us know how u go.

The last thing I want to do during a ride is use my phone though so it's not an issue for me.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nice product let us know how u go.

The last thing I want to do during a ride is use my phone though so it's not an issue for me.
I've discovered a way to use my phone - I bought a mount for it, and then downloaded motionGPS - it now works to follow someone's GPX file even off the phone grid. On the rides I've been on it seems to work better than an 810 and as good as an etrex at this job. But, it is something you need to be able to touch screen for ( iPhone)

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I had not really needed to use mine at all either (hence I can't justify buying a whole set of gloves), but when I do it is a bloody pain having to take off my gloves, put them back on and, inevitably, discover I have forgotten something and have to do the whole thing all over again...

It is more for work though, where you really don't want to take off your gloves when they are on and I am NOT licking my work gloves... They are friggen' toxic ha ha .

First finding - make sure the stuff is FULLY dry prior to testing on iPhone screen... I might have to put an entry in 'confessions of the fuckwits' on that one :(
- interested to see if the same happens when they get wet or if they stay wet for a prolonged period....

ChopSticks

Banned
or, you know, lick the tip of your glove whenever you need to use your phone
never licked my salty gloves... but i do sweat enough that my gloves work with the iphone :D

but as Side FX mentioned... Siri works well enough if you need to make a call or sms while popping wheelies ;)

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've noticed a lot more gloves are coming out touch screen compatible. My spesh ones have a bit of conductive stitching in the tip of the forefinger, the gravity inspired fox ones don't, shame as I think checking and updating your FB status is a huge priority while trying to clear a double or bombing down a rock garden.
I might be updating my Garmin though and I think the higher end models are touch screen, so perhaps there is a legitimate use. I'd be too worried about crash damage to mount a phone on the bars.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Garmin touch screens are not the same as smart phones (at least my 510) - they don't rely on conductivity and can be used with gloves.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
A lot of the newer gloves seem to have either conductive thread sewn in (I did a ghetto version of this on one pair of work gloves using the wire from an old set of headphones) or from strategically placed dots. In playing around with this I have actually found my Deft Family fingers work - but not the thumb. This seems to be due to rubbery grip pads and may be just by accident rather than design as you'd do the thumb as well surely.

The main reason I grabbed this stuff is I am cheap :) I have three pairs of work gloves and four riding gloves to do so this is a bit cheaper than buying sets that work. Even replacing one set of work gloves would set me back $145, so I am kind of hoping this stuff works well.

As for Siri... When she stops telling me 'there is no reason to use that kind of language' I'll use her more often... Honestly I don't swear THAT much...