My front is FAT

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Oh dear... I got a fat front. On my old 26er that weighs way more than my new 29er, I could do good manuals. But the 29er feels fat up front and requires more input to do a manual. This could be because of the bigger wheels and the way they roll. So it's either get used to it or try and remove weight from the front to try and help.

I was about to go to a wider front tyre to help with grip in the turns, but if I remove weight from the front, how will it affect this ?

If I was to remove weight from the front, where would the best place to start to get the bet bang for my buck ?

Btw the bike is a Specilized Carve Comp 2012, spring rock shox forks, alivio shifters and hydro brakes, if that helps.

What are your thoughts on a nice Beer ?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bike's ease of manualling isn't all about front end weight, geometry has a far greater effect. Specifically a shorter chainstay makes it a lot easier to tip 'er up into the balance point. So obviously your 29er has longer stays to fit the wheel in = harder to manual.

So get the fat tire for the front so you can shred the turns, and simply practice the manuals, i'd guess you just need to throw your weight back with a bit more gusto than you are used to..

nigelh

Likes Bikes
I agree with karlem, the lenght of the chain stays and the extra height of the rear axle will make it harder.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
All 29ers are difficult just because of the bigger wheels leading to a longer frame, think of it in terms of leverage, youre going to have to apply a lot more force to get it up, and sit at a higher angle to keep it there.