Multirelease vs Single Release cleats.

PirateKing

Likes Dirt
Thinking about trying some clip in's. (Have been on flats for 9 years and i'm too a point where concern about losing my feet is slowing me down)

Will probably have the clip ins on my commuter singlespeed for 6 months or so till I get used to them. (Ride it 20-30k's a day 3 days a week)

But I want to know what the difference is between multirelease and single release in terms of downhill, which one is safer? Or is it all about personal preference?

(Yes I have searched but couldn't find anything on the topic, if you think you can go ahead and post them up and I'll read those threads first.)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Single-release release when you twist your heel outwards.
Multi-release release when you twist your heel in any direction.
Instructions here.

I've never tried them, but they sound like they wouldn't be great for tough climbs, air-time or rough landings.

Learning to ride clipless isn't as hard or as scary as you might think - I'd just go for single release. You've got the right idea - get used to them in a comfortable and safe environment, then deploy them on your DH bike when it's second nature.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It only took me 2-3 Weeks to get used to them, then another month or so to be comfortable to the level that I dont even notice it

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
After riding single release for a few years, I went to multirelease after a mate gave me some cleats.

They lasted all of about 3 rides, they tend to release when I don't want them to. If you're starting out they may be fine (as you have no preconception of what they're like), but I'd never really consider using them again.