Mud + brakes = problems??

bk-19

Likes Bikes
hi everyone,
after a recent ride in rather muddy conditions, i cleaned my bike thoroughly with water and some soap. However next ride my rear brake (avid juicy 3) had lost almost all its power, but the front brake was fine. I tried adjusting the reach adjustment and then i took the break pads out of the caliper and cleaned them thoroughly but it isnt functioning like its meant to. The brakes are only about 10 rides old so i dont think they need bleeding... but i was just wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem and what i can do to solve it??? thanks

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
How is the rotor? If the pads get too much grit and rubbish on them they can get contaminated. Same with the rotor.
Too much soap/detergent can also do this.

I'd take the pads out and give them a (very light) sand with some fine grit paper, and clean the rotor with some isopropyl alcahol and then see how it goes.

Be careful with the sandpaper because it will eat through the pads like cheese on a cheese grater.
A couple of swipes is all that's needed to refresh them.

The first time you ride with refreshed pads and clean rotors there won't be much power as you will need to bed them in a little, but after a bit of a spin you will know if it's worked.

Don't know much about juicys as I'm a shimano man, so there may be juicy tricks I'm not aware of.

If you work out what it was post the solution up. Keen to see what it is.

Good luck!

cobba

Likes Dirt
Did you get soap on the rotor or pads ?

Soap is made from fats & oils.

Clean the rotor & pads with alcohol or metho and see if that helps.

bk-19

Likes Bikes
Did you get soap on the rotor or pads ?

Soap is made from fats & oils.

Clean the rotor & pads with alcohol or metho and see if that helps.
How is the rotor? If the pads get too much grit and rubbish on them they can get contaminated. Same with the rotor.
Too much soap/detergent can also do this.

I'd take the pads out and give them a (very light) sand with some fine grit paper, and clean the rotor with some isopropyl alcahol and then see how it goes.

Be careful with the sandpaper because it will eat through the pads like cheese on a cheese grater.
A couple of swipes is all that's needed to refresh them.

The first time you ride with refreshed pads and clean rotors there won't be much power as you will need to bed them in a little, but after a bit of a spin you will know if it's worked.

Don't know much about juicys as I'm a shimano man, so there may be juicy tricks I'm not aware of.

If you work out what it was post the solution up. Keen to see what it is.

Good luck!
I may of got some soap on the pads, the rotors themselves are fine i think its just on the pads themselves. But thanks for the tips ill give it a clean with an alcohol and if that doesnt work ill have a go at the sandpaper.... thanks for the help :)