MTBing GPS computer

marks

Likes Bikes
What is the best GPS tracking / directions computer available?
I dont want to use the Iphone as it seems too risky to have it attached to handle bars (with my poor riding).
Something that was a combination of strava and trail forks would be ideal.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
depends what you want, garmin edge 1000/820...equivalent from other brands.

Look on DCrainmaker for reviews of, well everything

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Hey Mark, the Garmin 800 series are pretty good (regardless of generation), there may still be 800s available, not sure, I enjoy mine. Google away, Pushys sometimes have good deals on Garmin. Have a close look at the specs and decide what's important/required for you.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Depends on what you want. Ie maps, live segments or just tracking for strava.
I have a Edge 25, but only care about live data for distance travelled and strava recording.
520 has maps and live segments for strava, 800 (don't know what series now) has more detailed maps than the 500 series.
800 is a big for me to be comfortable with for Enduro riding.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bryton do a good range as well; they set Garmin firmly in their sights from the outset, and all models pretty well match their Garmin equivalents. Huge range of data parameters that can be monitored, and depending on model screens can be customised to display up to 30 individual things, and that's before you even get into maps and lap tracking.

marks

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses. I really want to be able to view trails as i ride so i know where i am and how to get to the desired trail.
Recording of distances and strava compatible wold be good.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
.... Garmin 800 series or equivalent manufacturer level unit. They be high end and nearly the price and size of a smart phone.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Garmin used to have the 500 series (small), 800 series (medium) 1000 series (large)

They have now made the new 820 the same size as the 520.

I sold my 810 when I bought the 820, great unit but still at the start of its life and a bit buggy, got some power issues, processor speed issues, mapping issues and connectivity issues. I only have a couple of those niggly problems but when the unit doesn't power up or shuts down in the middle of a commute, it has issues.

Personally, I would not recommend a 820 at the present time, you will have some small issues if you do go that way. Garmin should sort it out eventually but it may take some time, still a bit shit for a premium $550 head unit.

ozzybmx

BTW, the 520 is probably the best bang for buck GPS unit at the moment. All issues are sorted and it just.. works.

EDIT: or 810/800, though they dont have the IQ app ability.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

500, 510, 800 ect are great units but not compatible with the new stuff. 1000, 520, 820... Garmin IQ, Garmin track ect. If you do go a Garmin, go with one of the newer compatible units that do the Garmin apps.

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Yes..
As does the 25... but the 25 are not very intuitive.
I'm looking at getting a 25...I don't watch my data at all on rides and don't want a tablet hanging off my bars. BUT I've been using my Iphone and recently noticed it missing strava segments in forests, and I've been doing some rides up to 5 hours which pushes the battery on the old and weary phone.

So is the 25 as accurate as other garmin models?? I was comparing my iphone GPS trace from some very twisty sections at Kowen (stairway and rhomper room) with a friend's 510 (i think) and his trace followed the trail perfectly, mine was all over the place and missed a few segments...

Also does the 25 work with the strava beacon app?? The strava website doesn't list it as compatible but it has bluetooth and the Garmin LiveTracking feature so I don't see why it wouldn't??

Last edited:

dromana

Squid
I like my 520. I synced the strava segments I care about. I really like that it doesn't have a touch screen. I had a 510 and the touch screen was annoying when I got it muddy.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
get something with a speed sensor

The differences between an iphone/mandroid app and a cycling specific GPS are the sampling speed and the speed/cadence sensor.
The iphone only does 3 second samples, something like a Garmin does 1 second samples, you can go a long way off track in 3 seconds.
You can get a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor for an iphone now - maybe that makes it more accurate - not tried it.

Garmin(and others) use the speed data and the GPS data to help estimate the position. If you look at a Garmin track with and without a speed sensor you can see a big difference on singletrack. The Garmin with a speed sensor is heaps more consistent.

Also - for Strava, sometimes it depends on what the rider was using when they recorded the segment on how well you are going to match to it.
If they used a Garmin with a speed sensor, which is kinda normal for XC these days, then you are going to have a much better chance of matching it.
If they used an iphone then not so much.

For popular segments where they get lots of feedback, Strava will hack the segment track to make it a better match to average.

Personally, I don't look at the data or maps it's more satisfying to get lost. The bar/stem mounted Garmin is a bit of a distraction, and they tend to eject into the bush when I crash, often. For MTB I use a wristwatch style Garmin forerunner.

- carpetrunner

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting a 25...I don't watch my data at all on rides and don't want a tablet hanging off my bars. BUT I've been using my Iphone and recently noticed it missing strava segments in forests, and I've been doing some rides up to 5 hours which pushes the battery on the old and weary phone.

So is the 25 as accurate as other garmin models?? I was comparing my iphone GPS trace from some very twisty sections at Kowen (stairway and rhomper room) with a friend's 510 (i think) and his trace followed the trail perfectly, mine was all over the place and missed a few segments...

Also does the 25 work with the strava beacon app?? The strava website doesn't list it as compatible but it has bluetooth and the Garmin LiveTracking feature so I don't see why it wouldn't??
I went for a 25 due to battery usage and accuracy vs my android.
The 25 (or 20) is tiny in comparison to other garmins, and I didn't want or need the maps on the higher models.

The 25 uses Glonass and well as GPS, and position pick up is nearly instant. ( I know the Android also uses Glonass and GPS)
As mentioned by carpetrunner, the update time is a lot faster compared to the Android and is more accurate for positional data.
The higher end models use barometric elevation measurement, the 25 uses GPS and isn't as accurate.

I don't use a speed sensor (or any external sensor) so cant comment on the speed accuracy, but I'm sure Carpetrunners statement is true.

Yeah as you say, Garmin states that the 25 uses Livetrack, which is used for the Beacon capability. That said, I've never used it. (I wasn't aware of it)

"Live Tracking

When paired with Bluetooth®, Live Tracking lets friends and family follow your ride in real time. Invite followers using email or social media, which lets them view your live data on Garmin Connect."

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I went for a 25 due to battery usage and accuracy vs my android.
The 25 (or 20) is tiny in comparison to other garmins, and I didn't want or need the maps on the higher models.

The 25 uses Glonass and well as GPS, and position pick up is nearly instant. ( I know the Android also uses Glonass and GPS)
As mentioned by carpetrunner, the update time is a lot faster compared to the Android and is more accurate for positional data.
The higher end models use barometric elevation measurement, the 25 uses GPS and isn't as accurate.

I don't use a speed sensor (or any external sensor) so cant comment on the speed accuracy, but I'm sure Carpetrunners statement is true.

Yeah as you say, Garmin states that the 25 uses Livetrack, which is used for the Beacon capability. That said, I've never used it. (I wasn't aware of it)

"Live Tracking

When paired with Bluetooth®, Live Tracking lets friends and family follow your ride in real time. Invite followers using email or social media, which lets them view your live data on Garmin Connect."

Cheers JT. Found another thread on Garmin which suggested that the 20/25 don't have the 1 sec update like the higher models, but have "smart record", basically variable and probably not as accurate as 1 sec...still an improvement over the 3 second update on the iphone though im guessing. Some of the new small Lezyne models look interesting too.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Cheers JT. Found another thread on Garmin which suggested that the 20/25 don't have the 1 sec update like the higher models, but have "smart record", basically variable and probably not as accurate as 1 sec...still an improvement over the 3 second update on the iphone though im guessing. Some of the new small Lezyne models look interesting too.
Could well be the case. I find its accurate enough for me, but I don't use it with the extra sensors and the like so happy with it.
Maybe if you need all the bells and whistles, then the higher models might be the way to go....
For me, not having to depend on my phone battery was the strongest reason to get one.
Lezyne gear is usually pretty good, I have a pump and some workshop tools made by them.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I have ordered the small lezyne from probikekit to give a go. Wanted the ant+ due to my roadie having it. I believe it gives basic directions if a route is programmed (not something I am really that interestes in though).

Last edited: