MTBA feedback survey- DH racers

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Very important!!! Despite what people are saying about not having and "evidence" that is works there are many other facts that do support the neck brace. Eg, The spine can compress up to 6" under pressure which can cause all vertebra to compress and fracture, basically explode. The neck brace stops neck compression/ hyper extend in all directions. I own and use religiously a leatt brace and think that it is a bunch of bull that it restricts movement (with the exception of certain helmets).

In personal experience before i owned my neck brace i can a crash on a easy home trail which saw me land on my head and compression fracture a vertebra and snap off 6 Vertebra transverses which leads me to my back braces.

BACK/CHEST ARMOR: I do not use full body armor but do use a back plate. The back plate i own is a half height on which sits below the leatt brace perfectly, if i had this item on during my crash it would have prevented snapped transverses and alot of pain. I do agree that full body armor is not the most comfortable but these days there are many other options like the 661 pressure vests which offer all back and chest protection, are comfortable and do not restrict movement. I personally would do like the back plate as it does not add any discomfort and has a high chance of been used.

KNEE/LEG: Should be made a compulsory item, knee pads are worn by almost everybody and are only those who are lazy who choose not to, they prevent many injuries from all crashes even the smallest. Knee pads are compulsory in some european races aswell as back protection

ELBOW/ARM: Have used and have wished i did use many times but dont have much opinion on.

GLOVES: I think gloves protect alot more than people might think, not only from crashes are grazes but from passing objects.

GOGGLES: Wear 99% of the time, Eyes are important so why put them at risk. Goggles are not uncomfortable or Uncool so they should be a compulsory item. even if there is no sticks a bug in the eye can still make you blind.

NO ONE PLANS TO CRASH OR HURT THEMSELVES BUT IT HAPPENS SO PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST IT

dw-link

Likes Dirt
neck brace: would love to have one and wear it if they wernt so expensive as i have had some close calls as when i stack i land on my head all the time, should be encouraged to be used if you have one as no one would like to be in a wheelchair all their life and if they were cheaper more people will get them meaning there will be less spinal injuries. But some like alpine star bionic neck brace is an affordable one so i think that problem is sorta sorted :p
back/chest: body armor only in races as it is too much hassle but in comps sometimes is and should be compulsory
knee/leg guards: kyle straits all the way, big saver and doesn't feel like they are on you when you riding
elbow/arm guards: on body armor
gloves: used to but meh
goggles: i tried to but too annoying and make me fee like im boxxed in my helmet and i always stack as i wear them as i cant concentrate and ride properly. but on muddy and dangerous tracks should be worn.

Last edited:

jimbo666

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Don't have one, but after taking a head dive off the wall ride @ Mt Buller this week I'll be investing in one.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Never ride without it. It has saved me more times than i care to remember.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Always wear full knee/shins.I can see the argument for knee pads only(comfort), i just don't like the idea of my pedals shredding my shins.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: I wear them more often than not.
GLOVES: Always. Have had stacks where the gloves have been torn & would hate to think of the outcome if i wasn't wearing any.
GOGGLES: Almost always. if not goggles i wear sunnies.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Owned one for about a year and a bit now. I wear it 90% of the time when riding downhill, 100% of the time when racing. Good investment I beleive. Possibly could have saved me when I front flipped that dick of a step down at the top of Illinbah. Mine is only a cheap one, that takes abit to get used too, but it doesn't even worry me the slightest now, don't even know its on.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Nope. I haven't ever even tried any on. So I can't say its restrictive or if its good or anything.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Again, about 90% of the time, and 100% of the time when racing, except if I'm wearing long pants. I don't wear them on casual DH runs. I wear the TLD shin and knee ones, quite comfy and not restrictive when pedalling. Used to wear the TLD T-bone but they cut into the back of my legs and I find them to be a bit restrictive when pedalling.

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Refer to: BACK/CHEST ARMOR

GLOVES: Always. Tried riding gloveless for a little bit towards the end of last year, found my hands to be sweating about 30seconds into a run. Golf Gloves FTW. So comfy.

GOGGLES: 100% of the time. So used to it dont even worry me. And they look cool cause all the Pro's wear em. :cool:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NECK BRACE: Nope. In my opinion its not worth wearing. Definatly wouldn't favor it over armour.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: On rocky tracks definatly.. and if i had a better qauity suit i'd wear it all the time.
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Rarely. But im clipped in so my legs dont get touched. But for the rockier tracks - yes, if you come off its gunna rip your knees up.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Nope, too restrictive. However i really do need to find a quality elbow guard because i scrape trees alot.
GLOVES: 100% of the time. If i dont have them, i don't ride. No control over the bike and if you come off its gunna hurt with them.
GOGGLES: If its dusty/muddy or if theres lots of low branches or fast sections yes.

master@dh

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:I use it because i value my neck
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:dont use it because it dosent work with my body armour and it gets super hot
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:i have kneee pads only
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:dont bother, dont land on my elbows enough
GLOVES:yer so i can still hang on
GOGGLES:yep so that the dust doesnt get in my eyes also so that i dont get sticks and leaves in my eye

Survey

NECK BRACE: Yeah i wear one, bit pricey but what price do you put on your neck.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Dont use but looking into some
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Knee pads
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: No dont like the feel of them
GLOVES: Sure do but go through a few of them
GOGGLES: Hell yeah to keep al that crap outa my eyes

FLE

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:havent worn one so i dont know

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: important for over the bars crashes (as seen in kovariks crash in kranked 8 revolve)

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: important in rocks and roots sections

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:eek:nce again very useful in over the bars crashes , especially in a rock garden

GLOVES: possibly the most useful protection of all providing you know how to crash right

GOGGLES rider preferred, important for keeping out dirt and muc from the eyes

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:I own one but find it to uncomfortable to use when I ride with my pressure suit.
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR:I ride with my pressure suit on all DH rides
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:I wear both knee (Kyle Strait 661s) when im wearing moto pants and Knee/Shin pads (Troy Lee "LOPES") when im wearing shorts.
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: I ride with my pressure suit
GLOVES:always cant ride without them
GOGGLES:In the wet and on cold days yes for sure, but most of the time I wear clear lens glasses they dont fog up as much as the goggles do.

chris95

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:Nope but may in the future, bit too expensive atm
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Yep 661 pro pressure suit, would ride a hard DH track without it
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yep 661 shinies
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: On pressure suit
GLOVES: Always, once had a stack and grazed my hand and now have a massive scar.
GOGGLES: Yep just got some and feel good.

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both my kids race.
One would only wear gloves, knee pads & goggles (and helmet!) but after splitting his spleen (and keeping it :) ) he now wears his core saver vest & also elbow pads. Hard lesson to learn!

NECK BRACE: Yeah necks are kinda important, but I am not convinced that these are all they are cracked up to be. Both of them are not fans of them at this stage. Bit hard to crash with one and then do the same crash to compare results......... Who knows, time will tell
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: 661 core saver (they find them more comfortable than a pressure suit)
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes, 661 Evo or Pinstripe (knees are very vulnerable)
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Yes, 661 Evo or Fox Comp (saves them getting chunks of skin going missing)
GLOVES: Yes
GOGGLES: Yes

If the aim is to decide whether to make more than a full face helmet compulsory then I'd be against it.
I agree with a full face being compulsory but think the other items are a personal choice. So long as parents are made fully aware of what is 'recommended' for younger riders it's up to them to negotiate/dictate with their kids as to what is going to be worn if they want to race.
Is not wearing body armour any worse than wearing a full face helmet that has been crashed in a few times???
I'd sooner make sure my kids have a good helmet on.

lucaswoods

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:have one wouldn ride without it
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: have some .. wouldnt ride with out
KNEE/LEG GUARDS:have some wouldnt ride without
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS:have some ... Dont ride with them ..
GLOVES:Course
GOGGLES:Course

todd28

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE:No
BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: Yes
KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Yes
ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Yes
GLOVES: Yes
GOGGLES: Yes

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
NECK BRACE: Looks useful, but imho just way to expensive for a single peice.

BACK/CHEST ARMOUR: A neccessity, have a Mace s/s swat jacket, much cooler than other armourr I have worn(661 pressue suit and a tld kit) but you pay for it having open elbows and arms.

KNEE/LEG GUARDS: Always wear knee pads, have found they're the first part of my body to get mauled in a crash. A must have imo.

ELBOW/ARM GUARDS: Not during summer, find its just to hot. But I pay for it with having many grazes and injuries on my forearm.

GLOVES:YES! got about 6 pairs, summer pairs, rain pairs, the whole kit and kaboodle. Find they save my hands getting blistered and cut up by the trees around my local.

GOGGLES: another YES! My favourite peice of equipment, Especially for riding australian tracks, keeps all the dust out. Also, looking at my lense I have so many deep, deep scratches, so I can imagine that being some branch shooting into my face.

Hope I helped out.