MTA qualified mechanic

Delbs

Likes Dirt
I have seen on some ads that certain bike stores have "MTA qualified mechanics" in their workshop. For someone that doesn't work in the bike industry and only an avid rider can someone tell me what MTA stands for. Is it a course that Any mechanic needs to complete to become fully qualified?

If so is it a course they need to attend or something that is taught through the means of mechanic books like barnetts?

Cheers guys

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In the automotive trade it is Motor Traders Association and that type of qualification would have nothing to do with bicycles mechanics on the surface but employers may be selling their service to an audience that may be lured by that trade qualification. You only need a hammer, shifter and pliers to be an MTA rookie nowadays so anyone could apply!

floody

Wheel size expert
Motor Traders' Association NSW offer:
  • Certificate II in Bicycle AUR20305
  • Certificate III in Bicycle AUR30205
So you'd imagine that's the qualification implied.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks Floody, you've proved you can learn something new everyday. ;)

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Motor Traders' Association NSW offer:
  • Certificate II in Bicycle AUR20305
  • Certificate III in Bicycle AUR30205
So you'd imagine that's the qualification implied.
Have you seen the Competencies for those?

Id say they are for some one whos never seen a bike before.
Ive got more knowledge than what those quals offer. And Id say most regular riders who do almost any maint and can read would fair better.

Delbs

Likes Dirt
Haha had to have a laugh at some of these. Yeah i have come across similar courses in the past but yeah i think i know just as much as that based on my own experience from tinkering over the years

I've got a few different books for reference anyway so ill just keep going the way I'm going lol no need for me to go complete a course in bicycle maintenance.Thanks for the replies though

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Have you seen the Competencies for those?

Id say they are for some one whos never seen a bike before.
Ive got more knowledge than what those quals offer. And Id say most regular riders who do almost any maint and can read would fair better.
Yes, they're a joke, like almost all bike industry qualifications.