Mt Gambier DH?

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey everyone,

I've just moved to Naracoorte for work and am re-assessing my dh riding. Will probably end up racing a few SA series races as well as getting back over to vic.

I remembered reading about a state series race run a Mt Gambier a few years ago, and after a search I gather the track is not really used any more?

Is it rideable now or worth cleaning up? If not, is there much to ride in the Naracoorte area (talking 200km radius)?

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
Head to or ring daktari in the mount. Haven't rode around the area yet. But they've been helpful every time I've been in there.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Digging up my own thread 3 years later...

So I've started getting sick of travelling 4 hours for a DH track and this morning decided have a look to try and resurrect the old bluff DH track. 50% is still visible/able to ride in and 50% completely covered in bracken. Anyone know of any reason why it stopped getting used? I've heard rumours of re-vegetation/erosion issues but there's sheep grazing there at the moment and the forestry has completely ruined the soil structure on almost all of the hill.

Just seeing if anyone local has any thoughts/is keen to get it running again.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah they're good fun for sure, just looking for something easier to shuttle and tbh looking for a bit of a weekend project (Naracoorte's not exactly a hive of activity). Should've got into another industry besides cropping where I'm closer to good riding!

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Naracorte is not synonymous with mountains is it! You could drain that artificial lake and build a skills park!

chaos99

Likes Bikes
Digging up my own thread 3 years later...

So I've started getting sick of travelling 4 hours for a DH track and this morning decided have a look to try and resurrect the old bluff DH track. 50% is still visible/able to ride in and 50% completely covered in bracken. Anyone know of any reason why it stopped getting used? I've heard rumours of re-vegetation/erosion issues but there's sheep grazing there at the moment and the forestry has completely ruined the soil structure on almost all of the hill.

Just seeing if anyone local has any thoughts/is keen to get it running again.

Hi Fella,
You should come along to the next MtG MTB club meeting.
The next one is Wednesday 10th feb at 7.30 in the upstairs room at the south aussie pub.
There is a DH race coming up soon:whoo:
Here is a link to the facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/498934363579501/

Cheers Greg

jwd

Likes Bikes
Mt Gambier trails

I was wondering if there were trails down there. I've been down there plenty of times for cave diving and was surprised the numerous pine forests weren't developed. Loads of potential there!